Question on Windows 7

immanueltja

Hello! I have a quick question if I can use a USB drive to boot windows 7 onto my computer. I have a key that is unused for windows 7 and I'm sticking old school with it not only to save money, but to just overall make my computer more personalized. and I was wondering, if there are any like devices or such I can use to use my USB to boot up windows 7, or windows 8 if I decide to switch, without using an ISO file or anything like that. Basically a simpler way of just putting windows 7/8 onto my bootable USB. thank you in advance!

Are you actually wanting to install Windows 7 to the USB drive, or are you wanting to make a USB Windows 7 installer? 

If you're wanting to make a portable Windows install, the only version I know that can do that is the Enterprise version of Windows. There's a program called WinToGo that may be able to do it, but I've never used it myself. 

Are you actually wanting to install Windows 7 to the USB drive, or are you wanting to make a USB Windows 7 installer? 

If you're wanting to make a portable Windows install, the only version I know that can do that is the Enterprise version of Windows. There's a program called WinToGo that may be able to do it, but I've never used it myself. 

I may have confused you AND myself a bit. So basically. I saw all these videos saying I need an ISO file to basically kinda translate it into my USB. I don't really have or want to buy a windows 7 CD, because I have a key already for it. I guess i'm trying to find something that will place my windows 7 into my USB, so I can go into BiOS and use the boot from USB, and have the windows 7 installation process pop out. 

I may have confused you AND myself a bit. So basically. I saw all these videos saying I need an ISO file to basically kinda translate it into my USB. I don't really have or want to buy a windows 7 CD, because I have a key already for it. I guess i'm trying to find something that will place my windows 7 into my USB, so I can go into BiOS and use the boot from USB, and have the windows 7 installation process pop out. 

If you have a Windows 7 key, you can download the ISO directly from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

The ISO itself isn't paid for, it's the license, so the ISO is just free (and completely legal, even from places other than Microsoft) to download. 

Once you have the ISO, use this tool to mount it on the USB. Bam, you have a bootable Windows 7 USB installer. 

EDIT: It's even easier if you wanted to create a Windows 8.1 installer. You can't create both on one drive though, I don't think. You'd have to use two USB sticks http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

A Windows 7 key should also work for installing Windows 10 (while the free upgrade is still active), just so you know. 

If you have a Windows 7 key, you can download the ISO directly from Microsoft. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

The ISO itself isn't paid for, it's the license, so the ISO is just free (and completely legal, even from places other than Microsoft) to download. 

Once you have the ISO, use this tool to mount it on the USB. Bam, you have a bootable Windows 7 USB installer. 

And after that, I don't need to use the CD-Key again in the bootup process?

And after that, I don't need to use the CD-Key again in the bootup process?

You will likely need to enter the key again when you're installing it (so after you boot from the USB and start the installation on your PC). Microsoft doesn't seem very keen on letting people just download Windows 7 unless they have a valid key, so that may be why you have to enter it to download. 

You will likely need to enter the key again when you're installing it (so after you boot from the USB and start the installation on your PC). Microsoft doesn't seem very keen on letting people just download Windows 7 unless they have a valid key, so that may be why you have to enter it to download. 

Hmm, I see. I might just get WIndows 8.1 from microsoftsoftwareswap then.. or g2a.. I'm not sure. is the subreddit trustworthy at all?

Hmm, I see. I might just get WIndows 8.1 from microsoftsoftwareswap then.. or g2a.. I'm not sure. is the subreddit trustworthy at all?

I know a lot of people who have bought from the Subreddit with no issues. 

I know a lot of people who have bought from the Subreddit with no issues. 

I just think the whole process kinda scares me a little bit but it gives me like so much in savings.. but thank you again for your help man :). and for the whole windows 8 installation, where would I find the usb thing just like the windows 7 link you gave me, and is it a similar process?

I just think the whole process kinda scares me a little bit but it gives me like so much in savings.. but thank you again for your help man :). and for the whole windows 8 installation, where would I find the usb thing just like the windows 7 link you gave me, and is it a similar process?

I edited my post above with a link for the Windows 8.1 process. It's just one tool for that.