OS Help

Freeeeezy

So it's kind of a long story...

When I first got my computer a couple months ago, I went with the Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation Trial thingy majigger so I wouldn't have to pay for an OS right away. 

Then 90 days later, when the trial expired and the OS began shutting down my computer, I decided to buy a Windows 8.1 Standard key off of the Microsoft Software Swap subreddit, but the code said it would not work for this version of windows.

I then found out that the Enterprise trial is broken, and cannot be upgraded, so I have decided to reinstall Windows 8.1 Standard, and because of this I thought, "might as well buy an SSD now" so that I can just install Windows on a fresh drive.

I know that in the process of doing this, I'm going to have to move some files on to an external hard drive so I can move it to my new OS on the SSD, but my question is, what should I move to my SSD for the OS, and what should I keep on my regular 1TB HDD?

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

Move your OS to your SSD.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

You can't just copy the OS files from the HDD to SSD and run windows like that, you need to install Windows from scratch on the SSD. 

Almost as cool as my temps  

You can't just copy the OS files from the HDD to SSD and run windows like that, you need to install Windows from scratch on the SSD. 

I know that, once I do a fresh install, I was just gonna move files from the HDD to the SSD. I'm just wondering what files I should move from the HDD over to the SSD for the new OS. Tbh I can figure it out, just thought I could get some help. 

My Baby Girl ❤️CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X | Mobo: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX | RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC | Case: Fractal Design Core 3500 | HDD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Adata SP900 512GB PSU: EVGA 650G 80+ Gold Full Modular | OS: Windows 10

I know that, once I do a fresh install, I was just gonna move files from the HDD to the SSD. I'm just wondering what files I should move from the HDD over to the SSD for the new OS. Tbh I can figure it out, just thought I could get some help.

Its kinda hard for us to know what files you have on your computer. It comes down to whatever you think is important.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Its kinda hard for us to know what files you have on your computer. It comes down to whatever you think is important.

Yeah, I understand. Like I said, I'll probably be able to figure it out.

But just to make sure I have this right, just install Windows to, and boot off of the SSD and then just move files over to it from my HDD? Just wanna make sure that I'm not missing any obstacles or anything

Yeah, I understand. Like I said, I'll probably be able to figure it out.

But just to make sure I have this right, just install Windows to, and boot off of the SSD and then just move files over to it from my HDD? Just wanna make sure that I'm not missing any obstacles or anything

As far as I know it should be that simple.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Depending on size of SSD, you should get OS, config files (under Users/AppData and Users/Documents) and some most important software you want to start fast. All other files like pics, music and videos should be on HDD. Software you can decide which you need to start fast and which fit onto your SSD.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv