Headphones paired with Amp or Sound card

blakers28

just wondering, how does the objective 2 compete against the schiit magni?

Almost everyone, including me, would recommend the O2 over schiit magni. Read some reviews on Head-fi. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-assembled-objective2-headphone-amplifier

The only real complaint I've seen about it is that all the ports are in the front which doesn't really bother me, but I could see where it might bother someone. If you get the O2 you'll need a DAC so just get the O2+ODAC Combo. 

Talk to mayflower about it if you have any question he knows more about the O2 then I do.

Just got my DT 990's and they're pretty sweet, so I'm sure you'll love your 770's. Fit is a little strange, and treble is harsh ("s" sounds), but that's what the break in/burn in process is for.

How do you like the 990's? How is the treble treating you now since you broke them in a little bit. I prefer treble over base in any situation :)

Almost everyone, including me, would recommend the O2 over schiit magni. Read some reviews on Head-fi. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jds-labs-assembled-objective2-headphone-amplifier

The number two rated amp in the "desktop amp" category.  It's pretty hilarious considering it's a DIY project to make a PORTABLE amp with BATTERIES and the reviews have it beating out all those giant tube amps.  That one's gotta grind Jude's gears.  He tried to stick it in the wrong category to keep it off the top 10 list and it's STILL up there.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

The number two rated amp in the "desktop amp" category.  It's pretty hilarious considering it's a DIY project to make a PORTABLE amp with BATTERIES and the reviews have it beating out all those giant tube amps.  That one's gotta grind Jude's gears.  He tried to stick it in the wrong category to keep it off the top 10 list and it's STILL up there.

Hahaha, yeah the O2 is an amazing amp :)

Yeah, I was banned because he knew I sold o2 amps. Funny, that people sell some of my items on there used. I hope he knows my business is successful.

How do you like the 990's? How is the treble treating you now since you broke them in a little bit. I prefer treble over base in any situation :)

It seems tamed a bit, but I haven't gotten home to my amp yet. I would not recommend these for use with a phone or FiiO E10.  :rolleyes:

If you're a treble lover I'd really recommend the 701's like h264 suggested in your main thread. Having officially owned the "big three" now, my experience follows nearly all the reviews I've read on their differences. I'll be grabbing a ATH-AD900X in the near future, but I dunno if it'll be in time to let you know about it before your purchase.

It seems tamed a bit, but I haven't gotten home to my amp yet. I would not recommend these for use with a phone or FiiO E10.  :rolleyes:

If you're a treble lover I'd really recommend the 701's like h264 suggested in your main thread. Having officially owned the "big three" now, my experience follows nearly all the reviews I've read on their differences. I'll be grabbing a ATH-AD900X in the near future, but I dunno if it'll be in time to let you know about it before your purchase.

I'm either going with ATH-W1000x or AKG 712's(I don't like the bumps on the 702's) I will order them within a week or so and I will post a review to let you guys know :)

Hmmm, I like my DT990s fine on my FiiO E10.  Guess I just like the Beyer's sound signature.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Hmmm, I like my DT990s fine on my FiiO E10.  Guess I just like the Beyer's sound signature.

Funny story: I thought I was using high gain, so I figured I'd test it on low. When I went to flick the switch it wouldn't budge - I reassembled the thing wrong after checking out that headphone jack and it was stuck on low gain. The E10 works fine on high gain.  :rolleyes:

Aww crap. did i order the wrong thing?  All i got was the http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/standard-objective2-amplifier.html and the 770's. Im not seeing that this amp comes with a DAC...

If your source is okay (using an ipod/iphone or your computer) you don't need a DAC really.

If you want to pick one up, you can buy a standalone ODAC.

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/odac---standalone.html

Oh, ok. So when would a DAC come into play really? From what im reading about DAC/AMPs , the only times you need one is if your source cant convert to analog (which is the signal we can hear). My understanding like Mayflower said, is that computers, at least current ones, have this ability, where as some stereos may not.

Oh, ok. So when would a DAC come into play really? From what im reading about DAC/AMPs , the only times you need one is if your source cant convert to analog (which is the signal we can hear). My understanding like Mayflower said, is that computers, at least current ones, have this ability, where as some stereos may not.

you can just get an interconnect cable and hook the O2 up to your soundcard if you want.  Probably won't make much of a difference if you use a line out on your soundcard.

you can just get an interconnect cable and hook the O2 up to your soundcard if you want.  Probably won't make much of a difference if you use a line out on your soundcard.

Yep, save the cash!

edit - Here is an interconnect cable you would need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-3-5mm-Male-to-Male-M-M-Stereo-Audio-Cords-Cables-for-PC-iPod-mp3-3S11-06-/280945641090?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item4169aa4682

You would plug it into the green connector on the sound card into the input on the amp. You should be all set forever unless you really want to dump some money into better headphones and a dedicated DAC. When you are ready, come back, we would love to help!

Ok thats cool. But like h264 said, it may not make much of a difference right? Especially since ill be using my computer? 

Im trying to envision how im going to set this up once i get it. 

The Amp will plug into the wall, the headphones into the amp. Now does the amp come with an adapter for the mm jack the headphones use? Also, im assuming the amp plug into the source (computer)? The tutorials im seeing online refer to RCA cables that i dont have but can get of course. Im just unsure if this will be needed

Thanks

From this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=makpVNrgx0g,  it seems im able to use the O2 Amp im using and maybe plug that amp into the back of my board where the SupremeFX card is and not have to get a DAC?  

Yup, use your onboard's line out connector to the jack on the right of the O2.

Wow, ok. Any benefit to using a dedicated DAC compared to the SupremeFX?

Yes, but nothing huge. You don't hear a difference really with your headphones, you'll need something way better to notice it.

I think DACs are finally at the point where it matters less and less. Only real difference left is the drivers and maybe -10db of crosstalk or a bit more noise.  You really won't hear that difference.  I know I don't.

Basically, if your not REALLY INTO THIS (aka crazy), don't worry about it.

So what i gotta know before i get the AMP, is if i need to buy any extra accessories or if the AMP comes with all that i need. From the site it seems it only comes with the power cord.  I would have the Amp, the headphones and my computer. 

Im currently plugging my headphones into the headphone jack in my Blue yeti Mic because i like the fact i can hear myself talk.  Im assuming this will no long er be possible since the headphones will need to plug into the Amp. Or is there a way i can keep the headphones plugged into my mic's headphone jack so i can hear myself as i talk? It doesnt look like there is a way but i want to ask just in case.  If not, im kinda thinking ill need an adapter for the mm jack the headphones have, then im guessing ill need some cords to plug the amp into my computer....

Im trying to plan it out in my head but having a hard time

So what i gotta know before i get the AMP, is if i need to buy any extra accessories or if the AMP comes with all that i need. From the site it seems it only comes with the power cord.  I would have the Amp, the headphones and my computer. 

Im currently plugging my headphones into the headphone jack in my Blue yeti Mic because i like the fact i can hear myself talk.  Im assuming this will no long er be possible since the headphones will need to plug into the Amp. Or is there a way i can keep the headphones plugged into my mic's headphone jack so i can hear myself as i talk? It doesnt look like there is a way but i want to ask just in case.  If not, im kinda thinking ill need an adapter for the mm jack the headphones have, then im guessing ill need some cords to plug the amp into my computer....

Im trying to plan it out in my head but having a hard time

You could plug the amp into the mic's headphone jack and then you headphones into the amp. :)

I don't know what connectors you'd need, and can't be bothered to look it up at this hour of the night (morning already?!), but usually it's RCA on the back of an amp. You can get a simple audio cable on Amazon that has one end in RCA and the other in 3.5mm if that's the port on your mic.

Oh ok, that makes sense, thanks for piecing that together. I know its a weird setup but i would take to have those headphones on and not be able to hear myself talk lol.  Now that i think about it, even if i were to plug the amp into my motherboard, id still need the mm jack so either way i do it, that cord should be good. 

Guess now ill just wait for them to show up and go from there, thanks.

Ok, Amp is here. Small little guy lol. I gotta say you guys are fast. Now this Amp comes with 2 3.5 mm jacks on it. One is obviously for the headset and the other im assuming is for the connection to the source. Im guessing ill only need a cord that has 2 3.5mm jacks in it to connect the two which is great. 

Now i do have one on hand already. I use it to connect my phone to the AUX port in my car. However give this cord seems to be what i need for the amp, is it safe to assume i can connect it and not have to worry about hurting anything?

Thanks