Rise of The Tomb Raider PC Performance reviewed - Another Bad port?

Mr_Troll

Well Nvidias new game ready driver is shit... it crashes, you cant enable surround and it treats your GPU's as removable hardware. So yeeeah :(

I was also reading another review on RoTTR where the reviewer was getting awful lag spikes due to a possible memory (RAM) leak.

---

What settings are the reviewers running at to require a 980Ti for 1440p?! (does this include silly MSAA/AA/Shadow settings?)

Hot pluggable PCIe is a thing now, they're working on it to allow the eGPU markets to expand and for PCIe SSDs.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I hope my HTPC can handle it.

Anyway I'm buying this as soon as it comes out, I'm fu**ing hyped.

I doubt these graphs are made with game ready drivers for NVidia (launched today) and AMD (not launched yet).

This game dows have a very high graphics fidelity and has some ground breaking tech, like snow deformation as you walk through it. It also has TressFX and some type(s) of god rays, which takes its toll. HBAO+ is not THAT bad performance wise.

This is a high graphics game, that will require quite a bit. That has nothing to do with being a bad port.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I bet 1 month  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I doubt these graphs are made with game ready drivers for NVidia (launched today) and AMD (not launched yet).

This game dows have a very high graphics fidelity and has some ground breaking tech, like snow deformation as you walk through it. It also has TressFX and some type(s) of god rays, which takes its toll. HBAO+ is not THAT bad performance wise.

This is a high graphics game, that will require quite a bit. That has nothing to do with being a bad port.

They are using the latest drivers from NVIDIA. 361.75, and it's shown in the graphs at the top. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I think everyone may be over reacting a little bit. Can a game not be demanding? 1440p is still a pretty high resolution and the game is pretty good looking.

Nah we gotta shit on the game when it runs "bad", even if it looks good.

If you're going to be angry at someone it should be AMD. They don't have a game driver out yet. These benchmarks were run using the latest available drivers from both companies. NVIDIA though, now have a driver specifically for Tomb Raider and the Division Beta along with SLI profiles.

AMD still only has an older beta driver.

The performance is fine from what I've seen, at least for NVIDIA. It looks a tad better than the Witcher 3 was on launch.

Game isn't out yet so yeah.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

let's hope the amd game-ready drivers fix the huge gap.

also, why has tressfx been renamed to Pure Hair? is the technology different somehow? 

Voxel is demanding I'm sure it is less demanding with it turned off

It just sounds like a demanding game, not a poor port

And 1440p is still pretty demanding with 4k still not being practical for m

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

let's hope the amd game-ready drivers fix the huge gap.

also, why has tressfx been renamed to Pure Hair? is the technology different somehow? 

It's TressFX 3.0 - http://motherboard.vice.com/read/glimpse-of-the-purehair-hair-rendering-engine-at-gdc

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The looked good even on the xbox one imo. I mean it's still playable at 30FPS imo with a controller at least. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Game isn't out yet so yeah.

Yet, NVIDIA have a new driver out with SLI profile specifically for Tomb Raider, and for the Division Beta.

These drivers were used by the reviewers for the benchmarks.

5mfRAby.jpg

I knew it.

All the games I have zero interest in to begin with turn out to be shit ports. Can't complain.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yet, NVIDIA have a new driver out with SLI profile specifically for Tomb Raider, and for the Division Beta.

These drivers were used by the reviewers for the benchmarks.

5mfRAby.jpg

Last time I updated my mobile driver I had to reinstall the OS. Fuck that. Playing with 361.41

Last time I updated my mobile driver I had to reinstall the OS. Fuck that. Playing with 361.41

Many people, including myself are already using these drivers without issues.

I update drivers regularly and have never once needed to reinstall my OS.

Many people, including myself are already using these drivers without issues.

I update drivers regularly and have never once needed to reinstall my OS.

Are you using a mobile GPU? No? I thought so

Are you using a mobile GPU? No? I thought so

I actually am on my laptop. Never had issues, and that's both for the OS X NVIDIA drivers, and the Windows ones.

I actually am on my laptop. Never had issues, and that's both for the OS X NVIDIA drivers, and the Windows ones.

Consider yourself lucky then.

Wow that doesn't like good for amd how the drivers get sorted out.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I wonder what @Notional has to say about that.

We know Maxwell is a generally weak hardware architecture, that relies a lot on driver optimizations. Purehair uses compute, which wrecks Maxwell, but Kepler has much better compute capabilities (and Fermi even better). I don't know if the 361.75 preview driver is the same as the newly released on?

Either way, the difference is due to compute. I wonder if some of their godray tech are compute based too. If so, that would explain it.

They are using the latest drivers from NVIDIA. 361.75, and it's shown in the graphs at the top. 

Ah in the big graph, yes. In the small one no. Either way, AMD's optimized driver is not out yet. Honestly I'm a little disappointed about that, especially since AMD has this new RTG subdivision and Radeon settings crimson stuff. Hopefully we will see an update this week. WOuld have loved one for the Division Beta too.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Ah in the big graph, yes. In the small one no. Either way, AMD's optimized driver is not out yet. Honestly I'm a little disappointed about that, especially since AMD has this new RTG subdivision and Radeon settings crimson stuff. Hopefully we will see an update this week. WOuld have loved one for the Division Beta too.

Oh certainly! I really want to hop on Polaris, but their biggest issue is still game ready drivers in a timely fashion and Xfire profiles for those games as well.

Also the 361.75 driver is the one just released to the public. NVIDIA must have sent it out early for reviewers and some benchmarkers.

What settings are the reviewers running at to require a 980Ti for 1440p?! (does this include silly MSAA/AA/Shadow settings?)

It's not mentioned in the news summary here, but it's worth pointing out that the article makes it clear that TressFX/PureHair was enabled in at least some of these benchmarks. I have no idea what performance cost that has in Rise, but in the 2013 reboot it was quite substantial.

This. People freak out any time a game is demanding. It's understandable since there are a lot of games with less-than stellar optimization, but so far Rise's performance seems justified. Though we'll see when it's actually out to everyone and gamers have a chance to look at things and see how demanding each setting is.

It's not mentioned in the news summary here, but it's worth pointing out that the article makes it clear that TressFX/PureHair was enabled in at least some of these benchmarks. I have no idea what performance cost that has in Rise, but in the 2013 reboot it was quite substantial.

They have a section just for it, and on the GTX 970 & 290X the difference between None, Pure Hair, and High Pure Hair was only 2-4 FPS

NV said you'll need a 970 to run it at 60 FPS 1080p and 980ti for 60 FPS 1440 and those numbers seem fine. We all could do the math from there.

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own.