Rise of The Tomb Raider PC Performance reviewed - Another Bad port?

Mr_Troll

just a question- how would AMD or anyone know that the GPU has been overclocked?

i have no idea. AFAIK, there is no tracking being sent once you accept that prompt.

I bet they rely on people being stupid enough to say yes when asked. After all, who pays attention to the stuff they agree to these days? Showing people a wall of text, that somewhere says "oh and this voids your warranty"... ofc they gonna just click yes and go about their merry ways as usual.

It would not surprise me if people just click yes, dont pay it a single though and truthfully answers YES when asked wether they OCd or not, simply because they dont know it would void the warranty.

I don't think so, TressFX is open source and they don't need any validation from AMD to implement it,

also they had TressFX in their previous engine.

Would you know if it's the old TressFX 2.0 from TR2013, or did they put in the new TressFX 3.0

I'm so stoked to play the game, getting my PSU back on monday.

TressFX vs. Hairworks - TressFX is just better, HW does nothing but tesselate, it has no logic, it can't be optimised

Higher Textures don't  require more power to render they just require more memory to store,

GPU time goes into lightning, reflections, shadows, illumination, post processing

TR2013 used TFX1.0

TR2013 was the "poster boy", the first game to ever feature TressFX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TressFX

Version 1.0

TressFX Hair 1.0 was AMD's first release of this software in. Version 1.0 only offered support for hair and not fur or grass. The first game to use TressFX Hair was the 2013 game Tomb Raider.

TR2013 used TFX1.0

TR2013 was the "poster boy", the first game to ever feature TressFX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TressFX

yeah, thanks for the history crash course,

my mistake, I somehow thought it was TressFX 2.0 in the TR2013

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The bug should've been found and fixed before release. There's no excuse for that. People's gpu's died because of their negligence

If you're talking about the amd driver fan issue, nobody's cards died. The card downclocks if it reaches a certain temp threshold - so no cards would have been killed from heat. Anyone who claims theirs died as a result is lying.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

That voxel lighting engine is super demanding I think, as are any hair systems so if it's not running well with those, I'm not surprised.

TressFX cuts my framerate in half on TR2013, I can run it at 3200x1800 without that, with less of a performance impact, I wouldn't know about HairWorks as it only works on nVidia cards, but if I had to guess, it'd work better than TressFX even on AMD cards.

Case: Thermaltake Versa H35 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700x (@4.0Ghz) Cooling: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 | MOBO: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3333Mhz | GPU: MSI ARMOR 8GB OC GTX 1070 | Storage: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB, 1TB Seagate 2.5" 5400RPM | PSU: Corsair CX750M

yeah, thanks for the history crash course,

my mistake, I somehow thought it was TressFX 2.0 in the TR2013

TressFX 2.0 was in the Lichdom Battlemage, but there the developers disabled it from running when NVIDIA hardware was detected because of a deal they had with AMD.

77Ukxvl.png

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

TressFX 2.0 was in the Lichdom Battlemage, but there the developers disabled it from running when NVIDIA hardware was detected because of a deal they had with AMD.

77Ukxvl.png

:D lol, never heard of that story

It's nice to see that not everything is Black and white and that there is another side of the coin after all

But do still remembers the lolz and keks with TressFX on nVidia and the seetrough skull of Lara

daym just looked up "Lichdom Battlemage" looks kewl, what do you think? Have you played it?

It's on G2A for $3 btw

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

:D lol, never heard of that story

It's nice to see that not everything is Black and white and that there is another side of the coin after all

But do still remembers the lolz and keks with TressFX on nVidia and the seetrough skull of Lara

daym just looked up "Lichdom Battlemage" looks kewl, what do you think? Have you played it?

It's on G2A for $3 btw

It's a very fun game, although not nearly as complex as it could have been. It was the AMD posterchild of games for their tech when they were busy hyping up and showing off Hawaii aka the 290/X.

It's a rather repetitive magic FPS game, but most fps games are. Still I enjoyed it for what it was, and is worth it at only $3, even if you only get a few hours out of it. :)

Quite stunned on how Pure Hair impacts performance. In fact, it barely does and is a ton better compared to the previous Tomb Raider: there it was a real pain for the GPU. Running on a minimum requirements card I can run it and experience next to none slowdowns, if any. Still gotta try it on a recommended-level GPU, will do when I have the time. So far it looks really promising.

TressFX for AMD cards in TR2013 didnt have that hard impact either. TressFX in general seems much much much less taxing then Hairworks. And in general, much more immersive.

How much RAM do you have in your computer? I had similar issues with Dying Light. It would be running great, and then it would randomly drop to 3fps for a sec, then resume playing normally. I solved it by upgrading from 8GB of RAM to 16GB.

I think the slowdowns were when the game had to go and load textures or something directly from my SSD, instead of off my RAM.

I just upgraded my ram to 16gb. I'm still getting a little bit of drop but not nearly as bad as before. Thanks for the advice 

I just upgraded my ram to 16gb. I'm still getting a little bit of drop but not nearly as bad as before. Thanks for the advice 

Not a problem. Sorry to hear that didn't completely fix your problem.

TressFX for AMD cards in TR2013 didnt have that hard impact either. TressFX in general seems much much much less taxing then Hairworks. And in general, much more immersive.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2306111

What did you say?

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Well now! I had decent scaling before, but now it's a whole new ball game. Thanks for that link.

Now my fps doesn't seem to drop below 100fps at all in the Siberia areas. I've even seen it spike up to my monitor fps cap of 144 at times as well now. :o

I think OP's source is from an early version of the game not the final retail build...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html

Looking pretty good, all we need now is AMD Drivers and we're set, Fury X >= Reference 980 Ti. Still somewhat impressive on AMD's side even though they don't have drivers their GPUs on this game they are able to somewhat hold up against their counterparts.

After having just played an hour with everything possible maxed bar FXAA instead of SSAA at 1440p. I can honestly say the game looks breath taking, and runs rather well. SLI scaling still needs work, and the lowest fps I've seen was 48 for a split second. The rest ranged from 76 average in the snow areas, to 90+ in the Temple ruins. Although there are some random drops to mid 60's at time for no apparent reason. I think that might be the SLI scaling bungling up.

The Hair effects, along with lighting and particle effects are simply beautiful!

hX1jVxj.jpg

Screenshots of game below

SUAjjTv.jpg

2uqEBOB.jpgxuOEx4Z.jpg1rCLaZN.jpg

MBf1PRn.jpg

54Gl1Yw.jpg

YeHvRxD.jpg

Holy shit! What the hell are people complaining about? When games like these begin to inovate and introduce new things people whine because they can't run it maxed with low end rebadged cards and mid tier? If that is a "shitty port" I wonder what a great one looks like? First world problems much....

Thank you for the screenshots. Looks amazing even though I'm on my phone!

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

TressFX vs. Hairworks - TressFX is just better, HW does nothing but tesselate, it has no logic, it can't be optimised

You mean the same physics logic in TR2013 where the wind was blowing front to back and the hair was moving back to front, AGAINST the wind? ;)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Any kind soul here who doesn't mind using steam share with me? No? okay, I show myself out ._.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You mean the same physics logic in TR2013 where the wind was blowing front to back and the hair was moving back to front, AGAINST the wind? ;)

Pretty much, also HairWorks has logic. The idea it doesn't and is just a simple form of tesselation is a moronic thing to say and an insult to the people who spent years working to develop it. It actually does the same things TressFX does with increased detail at the cost of performance.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

I can't help but think Denova impacts performance.

Except it doesn't actually have a performance impact?  The game looks beautiful so I don't know what people are expecting their 750Ti's to play this at anywhere near max.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I knew it.

All the games I have zero interest in to begin with turn out to be shit ports. Can't complain.

Are you serious about these penguins in norway?