Rise of The Tomb Raider PC Performance reviewed - Another Bad port?

Mr_Troll

Rise of The Tomb Raider PC Performance Analysis – Gets Tested With AMD and NVIDIA Cards, GeForce Leads The Way

The Rise of the Tomb Raider come to the PC two months after its release on the Xbox consoles. The release is fitted with a list of graphical updates that include the high-end ambient occlusion technique from NVIDIA that we know as HBAO+ along with higher Anisotropic filtering of 16x, full hardware based tessellation, increased geometry and textures, dynamic foliage compared to static allowing foliage to react dynamically to the player movement in the environment and last but not least, AMD’s Pure hair technology which uses their TressFX 3.0 engine to render and emulate Lara’s hair realistically.

We had previously learned that Rise of the Tomb Raider also uses Nvidia VXAO which is a Voxel based ambient occlusion effect whose tracing is approximately three times cheaper than full fledged Global Illumination.When compared to SSAO, this kind of Ambient Occlusion also provides a more stable effect throughout the rendered world. This technology has a co-relation with ROVs (Rasterized  Ordered Views) on new cards such as Maxwell and is a part of the DirectX 12 API. While Rise of the Tomb Raider isn’t exactly a DirectX 12 title, there are files in the release that show the use of such effects and would be something that NVIDIA will likely detail at their GDC session in March, this year.

Rise-of-the-tomb-raider_PC-Performance_P

There are some high-level features that are adopted by the game. As explained, HBAO+ is from NVIDIA and the Pure Hair renderer is from AMD. It’s an interesting combination and comparing the two effects as posted by PC gaming site, PCGameshardware, we note that both have a fraction of an impact on FPS. The title comes with a range of options, In Square Enix’s own stream hosted yesterday, they showcased a range of PC settings for their latest title. The Display panel allows adjustment of Brightness, Resolution, Refresh Rate, Anti-Aliasing, V-Sync and allows you to enable/disable full screen mode and exclusive full screen mode.

tomb_raider_pc_options_3-635x357.png

The graphics panel is where you will adjust the graphical effects to suit your preferences, these include either selecting from a pre-defined preset or using your own custom config with adjustments ranging from Texture Quality, Anisotropic Filtering, Shadow Quality, Sun Soft Shadows, Ambient Occlusion, Depth of Field, Level of Detail, Tessellation, Scren Space reflections, Dynamic Foliage, Bloom, Vignette Blur, Motion Blur, Pure Hair, Lens Flares and Screen Effects. This is a pretty good set of configuration settings but you need to have a decent PC to run the game with a range of these settings enabled.

Looking at the benchmarks posted by PCGameshardware, we could see the GeForce cards lead really well in all conditions. Even with Pure Hair and HBAO+ effects, the game ran pretty well on cards like the GeForce GTX 980 and the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. The Radeon R9 Fury X was performing good on its own however it couldn’t match its NVIDIA based competitor aka the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. The GeForce GTX 970 managed to be faster than both Hawaii (Grenada) based cards up to 2K (2560×1440) resolution. At 4K, a single graphics card didn’t make any sense as even the top end GTX 980 Ti managed just 30 FPS on average but that’s a given at this point since the game is really graphically loaded and the amount of horsepower you need to run this at 4K is immense, you’d definitely want a SLI or CrossFire setup to give a playable frame rate or tone down the settings a bit.

1080p:

1440p:

NVIDIA themselves recomends that the GeForce GTX 980 Ti is the recommended card to play Rise of the Tomb Raider at 2560×1440 resolution while the GeForce GTX 970 is best suited for gamers on 1080p screens, offering a playable 60 FPS to users.

Either the game is that demanding or its that broken that u really need a 980ti to run it properly.

Source:http://wccftech.com/rise-of-the-tomb-raider-pc-performance-analysis/

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-Spiel-54451/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1184288/

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

From what I've seen, it's generally just a shit port with a lot of crashes and shit like that

That voxel lighting engine is super demanding I think, as are any hair systems so if it's not running well with those, I'm not surprised.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

im starting to think its just us, and the games are good.
idk. maybe I don't care that much if the game is "bad"

alos, tombraider reboots have been quite demanding . and its not nessesarly a bad port

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Either the game is that demanding or its that broken that u really need a 980ti to run it properly.

Needing a 980ti to almost max it out at 1440p doesn't look that incredible to me.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

also, I wonder what "exclusive fullscreen" is

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I guess I won't be purchasing this game then. A 980ti for 1440p?

tumblr_mx079yiPbY1rzik3go1_250.gif

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

The 780ti is beating a fury x. The fuck?

Unlike NVIDIA, AMD don't have a game ready driver out yet.

The GTX 780 Ti is also beating the GTX 970 though, so Kepler is doing rather well.

Just like with the Witcher 3 then. I don't see the issue as long as the game's graphical demand is backed up with good visuals.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Well Nvidias new game ready driver is shit... it crashes, you cant enable surround and it treats your GPU's as removable hardware. So yeeeah :(

I was also reading another review on RoTTR where the reviewer was getting awful lag spikes due to a possible memory (RAM) leak.

---

What settings are the reviewers running at to require a 980Ti for 1440p?! (does this include silly MSAA/AA/Shadow settings?)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Just like with the Witcher 3 then. I don't see the issue as long as the game's graphical demand is backed up with good visuals.

Yeah, I would never complain about an extremely demanding game IF it has the amazing looks to match, AND it is configurable enough to let people still run it well on significantly lesser hardware if they don't need it to look like a game from 2020

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The GTX 780 Ti is also beating the GTX 970 though, so Kepler is doing rather well.

The witcher 3 looks fucking amazing though. This game, however, does not!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

The 780ti is beating a fury x. The fuck?

Gameworks settings enabled. Nothing new

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

also, I wonder what "exclusive fullscreen" is

Im assuming the opposite of Borderless. 

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

The witcher 3 looks fucking amazing though. This game, however, does not!

From what I've seen I have to disagree. I like it so far. Looking forward to maxing it out tomorrow and seeing how good Pure Hair is in person.

Gameworks settings enabled. Nothing new

Which ones? HBAO+? That's about it.

The game also uses AMD Pure Hair, and even there the NVIDIA cards are performing better.

It's simply down to NVIDIA having a game ready driver out, while AMD does not.

Here I thought Nvidia was gimping Kepler to make Maxwell look better. Dang was I foolish to think such a thing.

I'm not really interested in the game, but does the average fps not make sense? From the screenshots, the game looks pretty good visually and the settings has everything maxed out regardless of the visual difference between each tick, no?

Well Nvidias new game ready driver is shit... it crashes, you cant enable surround and it treats your GPU's as removable hardware. So yeeeah :(

I was also reading another review on RoTTR where the reviewer was getting awful lag spikes due to a possible memory (RAM) leak.

Pretty interesting. Day 1 patches aren't new, so hopefully that gets fixed as a Day 1 patch.

Here I thought Nvidia was gimping Kepler to make Maxwell look better. Dang was I foolish to think such a thing.

I wonder what @Notional has to say about that.

I wonder what @Notional has to say about that.

Look at the GTX 780 Jetstream as well, it's doing extremely well compared to how Kepler performed in the Witcher 3 launch.

Beating out the 390X Turbo and 960 SSC. I wonder what these will look like once AMD get a game driver out though.

Look at the GTX 780 Jetstream as well, it's doing extremely well compared to how Kepler performed in the Witcher 3 launch.

Beating out the 390X Turbo and 960 SSC. I wonder what these will look like once AMD get a game driver out though.

If they ever get one out that increases performance I'll be surprised.

Hmmm... I call bad port. This is utterly ridiculous. A game that tanks a 280X to 23fps at 1440p? That's some bullshit right there and the studio knows it.

Some people were obviously cutting a lot of corners if this is what we can expect from a AAA title.

This game should be delayed until the devs can get their shit together and code this game properly. Since when did a 7-fucking80 beat a 390X?

That just pisses me off.

tumblr_mx079yiPbY1rzik3go1_250.gif

1440p is a high resolution. The fact that a single card can run this game is good. You seem to forget that until the 980ti most single card configs would struggle at that resolution.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Hmmm... I call bad port. This is utterly ridiculous. A game that tanks a 280X to 23fps at 1440p? That's some bullshit right there and the studio knows it.

Some people were obviously cutting a lot of corners if this is what we can expect from a AAA title.

This game should be delayed until the devs can get their shit together and code this game properly. Since when did a 7-fucking80 beat a 390X?

That just pisses me off.

If you're going to be angry at someone it should be AMD. They don't have a game driver out yet. These benchmarks were run using the latest available drivers from both companies. NVIDIA though, now have a driver specifically for Tomb Raider and the Division Beta along with SLI profiles.

AMD still only has an older beta driver.

The performance is fine from what I've seen, at least for NVIDIA. It looks a tad better than the Witcher 3 was on launch.

Lets wait for the AMD game ready driver

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P