Can you re-purpose a Define R5's fan controller with any simple mods?

FoxxyRin
Go to solution Solved by Elapo,

There are fan header to molex adaptors though, right? So worse comes to worst, I just plug in an adapter and use a molex cable. (EDIT: This case uses SATA power for the fan controller.)

But basically, it should just be a matter of buying some LED lights (these should work, right?) and wiring them to an appropriate fan plug to plug in to one of the cables on the case, and then plug the power cable to the fan controller into the motherboard (using an adaptor if it's a fan header)? I don't know why I was assuming this would be complicated.

EDIT: What about these LEDs? If you look at the little PCB, I think they would plug into a fan header?

Both would work I'd say (though the first one will require you to fiddle with cables) Not sure it the second ones are actual fan headers, but they might work? If you buy those, you do end up with the controller anyway though, which already does what you want to achieve.

Also, it could be that the second led strip doesn't have the resistors built-in, as they may be on the little controller board, and you do need to use resistors together with leds. I'm not entirely sure you can just plug them into a fan connector without additional work.

I think you're fine if the power for the fan controller comes from a SATA plug.

My build is only going to have three fans, and I'm planning to go with software control for all of them, so I'll have the Define R5's fan controller being pretty much useless. Well, I was just curious if there's any simple kind of mod I could do with the little switch on the front of the case? I was thinking how it would be cool to set it up as an LED brightness control, but I'm not sure if I could realistically do that. I have experience with soldering and heat-shrinking, so I shouldn't have too much trouble with that. I just don't want to risk messing up a perfectly good fan controller while experimenting with stuff on my own. Any sorts of guides or ideas/guides would be incredibly helpful!

EDIT: These NZXT LEDs have a three-way switch, so maybe it would be possible to somehow attach it to the fan control switch?

well I'd assume it's simply a voltage regulator, so provided you find an LED strip that plugs into fan headers (or molex with the right adapter), you could use it as a brightness control without any extra hassle.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

well I'd assume it's simply a voltage regulator, so provided you find an LED strip that plugs into fan headers (or molex with the right adapter), you could use it as a brightness control without any extra hassle.

This is already sounding easier than I expected. I think I was over-complicating matters in my head! Do you have any recommendations on fan header powered LEDs?

Yup, though since they're led, they might not even work on lower voltages. Once they go below a certain voltage they won't turn on, unlike regular light. You can try it though, but I think the available voltages are 12-7-5 (at least they are on the R4), so they may be too low.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Yup, though since they're led, they might not even work on lower voltages. Once they go below a certain voltage they won't turn on, unlike regular light. You can try it though, but I think the available voltages are 12-7-5 (at least they are on the R4), so they may be too low.

I'd be fine if it worked out to being Off - Low - High or something. I'm very interested in doing this, now. It seems like I could go with a pretty standard LED strip and Molex connectors and be good to go! (I found another thread where a lot of people said to avoid putting LEDs into a mobo fan header for power. Hmm... I'm definitely going to look into this a lot more. I think it would be a nice little touch!

I'd be fine if it worked out to being Off - Low - High or something. I'm very interested in doing this, now. It seems like I could go with a pretty standard LED strip and Molex connectors and be good to go! (I found another thread where a lot of people said to avoid putting LEDs into a mobo fan header for power. Hmm... I'm definitely going to look into this a lot more. I think it would be a nice little touch!

I think it's not advised to do it with motherboard fan headers, but IIRC the fan connector from the case is connected to molex (I don't remember exactly, it's been a while), which should be fine.

I think it's not advised to do it with motherboard fan headers, but IIRC the fan connector from the case is connected to molex (I don't remember exactly, it's been a while), which should be fine.

There are fan header to molex adaptors though, right? So worse comes to worst, I just plug in an adapter and use a molex cable. (EDIT: This case uses SATA power for the fan controller.)

But basically, it should just be a matter of buying some LED lights (these should work, right?) and wiring them to an appropriate fan plug to plug in to one of the cables on the case, and then plug the power cable to the fan controller into the motherboard (using an adaptor if it's a fan header)? I don't know why I was assuming this would be complicated.

EDIT: What about these LEDs? If you look at the little PCB, I think they would plug into a fan header?

Both would work I'd say (though the first one will require you to fiddle with cables) Not sure it the second ones are actual fan headers, but they might work? If you buy those, you do end up with the controller anyway though, which already does what you want to achieve.

Also, it could be that the second led strip doesn't have the resistors built-in, as they may be on the little controller board, and you do need to use resistors together with leds. I'm not entirely sure you can just plug them into a fan connector without additional work.

I've been digging around and I think I have it figured out.

These LED strips, spliced/soldered/heatshrinked to some female 3pins. Plug into the front of the case, and bam. Done. 50/50 chance it will come out to off-dim-bright or dim-bright-brightest. I think I'm just going to go with two (one at the top and one at the bottom), and save the extra two strips so I have some on hand if something happens.

Now I'm just trying to find a source for anything I can splice fan headers off for cheap. I really don't want to spend more than like ~$1 each on them, but both Amazon and Newegg want like $2-4 plus shipping for simple fan extension cables.