Galaxy Note 3 gets a Micro USB 3.0 connector. Brings faster charging over USB and a more robust connector.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/best-galaxy-note-3-feature-one-talking/55092.html

So this is interesting...I think this is the first phone that USB 3.0 has been implemented on. This will also benefit file transfer speeds, since this should be the first phone using Samsung's "Ultra Fast 1-Gigabit OneNand" flash memory (http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/news-events/press-releases/detail?newsId=4287). To add to all that, micro USB 3.0 is also a stronger connector than micro USB 2.0, but it will still allow the use of micro USB 2.0.

What does everyone think about this? It's not exactly "revolutionary" but it does show that nand flash in phones is getting faster.

I don't like the leather back of the note 3

Corsair 600T | Intel i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz (1.19v) Corsair H100i | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780  | Asus Sabertooth Z87 | Samsung BluRay Reader/Writer

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz | Corsair HX1050 | Crucial M4 128GB | 2x Samsung 1TB RAID 0 | Asus PA246Q

http://imgur.com/n7fw9z6  Apple Macbook Pro Retina  15inch 2.4Ghz 

not the best connector design....

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

i think this is the only samsung devise that has impressed me. specially the leather back. ill take any thing over that cheap plastic. plus the USB3.0 is an awesome idea. the phone memory is getting to the point where putting a faster connection is logical. 

but i still hate the color balance of that screen and the touchwiz skin is awefull. 

anyone know if it has those newer 4G chips in it? they are supposed to be way less of a battery whore. 

Samsung just gave me a reason to buy one of their phones. Except that phone is so damn huge. Still a no for me.

i think this is the only samsung devise that has impressed me. specially the leather back. ill take any thing over that cheap plastic. plus the USB3.0 is an awesome idea. the phone memory is getting to the point where putting a faster connection is logical. 

but i still hate the color balance of that screen and the touchwiz skin is awefull. 

ok let me clear up about the leather back: Its a plastic backing(same one as all the other samsungs) covered in a false, leather-like material. (probably pleather or something close to it)

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

ok let me clear up about the leather back: Its a plastic backing(same one as all the other samsungs) covered in a false, leather-like material. (probably pleather or something close to it)

ok then ill stick with my Sony.

Yeah I was wondering what the wide connector was all about. Thks for the info! :)

You could probably buy a custom back for it because I saw there are some custom back covers for the S4.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

More importantly, it will allow faster charging from USB 3.0 connectors on PCs, 900mA vs the usual 500mA and it's completely backwards compatible with old USB 2.0 Micro B cables and devices. Great to see they're using faster NAND, most phones/tablets transfer rates are really appalling.

ugh cant resist not buying it ...

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

More importantly, it will allow faster charging from USB 3.0 connectors on PCs, 900mA vs the usual 500mA and it's completely backwards compatible with old USB 2.0 Micro B cables and devices. Great to see they're using faster NAND, most phones/tablets transfer rates are really appalling.

well not rly impressed if it only does 0.9amps.

that s the standart for non charging things. i mean i got 2.1 amps usb 2.0 chargers atm.

it needs to come with a 3+ amps charger to even mention it could be faster charging.

not rly usong any of the storage on my phone so idk how relevant faster nand rly is.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

well not rly impressed if it only does 0.9amps.

that s the standart for non charging things. i mean i got 2.1 amps usb 2.0 chargers atm.

it needs to come with a 3+ amps charger to even mention it could be faster charging.

not rly usong any of the storage on my phone so idk how relevant faster nand rly is.

I was talking about charging from a PC not an actual charger. charging over USB 2 is limited to only 0.5A using the charger will result in much quicker charging of course but I have no idea what the current is, but it's almost certainly over 2.1A considering the Note II and GS4 came with a 2A charger.

Also it doesn't matter whether it comes with a 3A charger or not, no phone that I know of can actually pull that much current, even the iPad 4 comes with a 2.4A charger only.

Is it just me that haven't had any issues with micro-USB? Even my ~3 year old charger which has been used almost every day (probably close to 1000 in/out pulls) is still working, and so is the connector on my Galaxy S 2 (which has been charged about once a day for the last 2+ years, as well as being plugged in/out my computer several times without breaking).

Maybe Linus is just not careful enough with this connectors, or maybe I have been lucky.

Is it just me that haven't had any issues with micro-USB? Even my ~3 year old charger which has been used almost every day (probably close to 1000 in/out pulls) is still working, and so is the connector on my Galaxy S 2 (which has been charged about once a day for the last 2+ years, as well as being plugged in/out my computer several times without breaking).

Maybe Linus is just not careful enough with this connectors, or maybe I have been lucky.

You're not the only one, bro. :D

\[T]/ Praise the Sun!
Super Budget Gaming Build: Intel Pentium G1610, Gigabye GA-H61M-DS2 rev. 3, Kingston Value RAM 4GB CL9 1333MHz, Fractal Design Core 1000, Corsair VS 450, WD 1TB, Powercolor Radeon HD 7750 1GB/GDDR5, (Optional: Asus DRW-24B1ST).
 (Total: $340 USD)

Yeah, that's exactly what I said on another thread, I've been using usb 2.0 micro B devices (smartphones/dumbphones/tablets) for some 4 years. I'm sure my GSII has definitely seen over 700 plug ins/outs and it's no worse for wear as far as I can tell. same thing with my N7 (some 400 plugs on that one).

So maybe I treat my devices carefully (not really an excuse. but still), but I know nobody of my friends or relatives who have had a micro USB problem (with one exception: a Blackberry) and I know many of them definitely don't care about treating tech delicately. Either Linus is unlucky or he's doing something wrong...

I'm calling shenanigans on the 250 plug in/outs that company said unless it's some REALLY bad build quality.

I'm calling shenanigans on the 250 plug in/outs that company said unless it's some REALLY bad build quality.

Yes exactly. Most people charge their phones every day so if those numbers were correct then basically all phones would break in less than a year, which just doesn't happen.

My guess is that it's a bit of a marketing strategy to make their own drives sound like they are more durable compared to some of the competition.

its far better than the glossy plastic though

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

Yes exactly. Most people charge their phones every day so if those numbers were correct then basically all phones would break in less than a year, which just doesn't happen.

My guess is that it's a bit of a marketing strategy to make their own drives sound like they are more durable compared to some of the competition.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly  :unsure:.

I look at it this way, they should have went with something proprietary. I hate proprietary connectors as much as anyone but think of it this way, the average user doesn't own a USB-3 micro connector anyways so it's not like they have mass popularity to work with. With a proprietary connector, they could have fixed the reliability issues and made it any shape they wanted and even added extended functionality. Just my 2 cents I suppose :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!