My Gr1m_Reapr Rig

HrutkayMods

Hi guys, I was originally going to do a build log, but didn't have time while building it so I figured I'd just show off the finished product.

It all started off with a great deal I got on ebay for a New unused DX79SR motherboard and a slightly used 3960X combo.

I've rebuilt PCs and upgraded and modified and completely torn down and rebuilt and repaired PCs since I was around the age of 7 (as of the date of this post I'm 24 and have been running a side modifying/repair business specializing in PCs and other electronics since 2008), but I've never built one from completely from the ground up before until now. I think it was a pretty good job for my first build.

Specs:

• CPU
    Intel i7 Extreme Edition 3960X (OC @ 4.5GHz)
  • Motherboard
     Intel DX79SR "Stormville"
  • RAM
     32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel
  • GPU
     2x EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB in SLI (OC @ 1329MHz, Boost @ 1505MHz)
  • Case
     Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Black Aluminum
  • Storage
     500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 2x 2TB 7200RPM in RAID 1
  • PSU
     EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 1000W
  • Cooling
     (Air) Thermaltake Frio Extreme CLP0587  (Air) Cooler Master V8 GTS (see update further down the page)
  • Operating System
     Windows 10 Pro x64, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (10 on SSD, main OS, 7 on RAID 1 HDDs)
  • WiFi  
       Intel 7260HMWDTX1 Dual Band Wireless-AC   
  • Add-On                                                                                                                                                                         
        ASRock USB 3.1/A+C 

kh9jZat.jpg

VLHqVnd.jpg

XeqKCUi.jpg

LNpZQlf.jpg

A3GZEJ2.jpg

NJEQhqg.jpg

dKFrdWq.jpg

Yes it sits on the floor (for now, I just moved in to my new house) and yes my monitor sits on my old microwave

So what do you guys think?

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Get a desk and remove the Apple sticker on your sidepanel.

lol the apple sticker is on my main folding rig

All the badges make it look tacky, but other then that very clean. Nice build

Thanks, I've always liked showing the "go fast" stickers/badges, that's just how I am I guess lol

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

where is the apple logo?

Top picture on thje pc to the left.

• 5 weeks later...

Updates coming soon, my cpu heatsink broke one of my ram modules (pressure from fan plus vibration plus heat popped both spreaders clean off the module and took a resistor with it), so it gave me a excuse to refine and improve my build. I've bought a Cooler Master V8 GTS and I'm waiting on a new module. Currently my rig is running with one jerry rigged  fan in the center of the cooler being balanced with a broken zip tie, all the wires hanging out the backside panel (better cable management coming soon to it), and I'm running in  triple channel with 3 ram modules instead of 4. It looks rough currently but it still is kicking butt and folding like a dream!

• 2 weeks later...

So My Frio Extreme cooler never fit in my case correctly and the side window pushed on it. With time the pressure and heat pushing on my fan and on the ram module underneath it melted the thermal adhesive pads holding the heat spreaders on the module resulting in the spreaders popping off of it and taking a surface resistor with it. I tested the module and it was spitting out errors on memtest here's a pic

DXox8XY.jpg?1

So I had to toss that module and get a new one special ordered, I also ordered a new cooler, a Cooler Master V8 GTS. While I waited I folded on 3 modules and hung the cooler fan with a broken zip tie.

l7Wzp1O.jpg?1

When the new RAM and cooler came in I took the opportunity to clean up the cable management a bit more and reroute some USB wires

MmQt51h.jpg?1

It's a lot cleaner looking, and I'm quite happy with it, it goes well with my blue/white/red theme

8f3aGT0.jpg?1

PQQ931h.jpg?1

I have since covered up all the green lights on the mobo (no pics of it currently) and now it's just Blue, White and Red LEDs

Also everything fits perfectly in my case now, I'm quite happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I'm finally tinkering with the OC more, 4.5GHz at 1.370V... (Later found it is more stable at 1.385V)

EHqHoTP.png

and I thought I'd add 3 more pics

5GQqnpr.jpg

4zmdQuk.jpg

3XgeUJE.jpg