Difference in latency from Steam Link vs Nvidia shield streaming.

Dionyz

Anyone know which one is better at streaming? Assuming you have 100 mbps connection.

i would think shield, since they know exactly what GPU is in the system and its optimized for it

would be nice to see a comparison though @Slick

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Nvidia streaming will work for Orgin games and stuff.

Steam Link uses Steam in Home streaming. The two services are very comparable. But steam link will only work with steam games.

But Nvidia works on Android devices through an app called Moonlight. 

With steam in home streaming you can add non steam games (in my experience Witcher 3 from GOG) and stream them that way, but again, this only works through SteamOS, Steam Link or a Windows PC.

It's not a bad deal to have both services, they're both free. 

Well I've got a Shield TV and the streaming is superb, its barely noticeable and allows me to play pretty much anything. The thing is, you never want to stream the games where you would notice the latency (like twitch shooters and MP shooters etc) anyway as such games need a mouse and keyboard to be even remotely competitive, and yeah I can connect a M&K to my Shield but that defeats the purpose of couch gaming.

I've seen a few videos of Steam Link and it seems to suffer from latency much more than the Shield does but that's anecdotal evidence, I've never actually used a Steam Link.

Remember though Android TV offers much more than just Streaming games, I mean can the Steam Link do 4K Netflix, Kodi, IPlayer, Twitch & YouTube as well as native games that run on the system?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

This would be a good video for Linus to do.

I tried to look for results over the internet, and they seem to not be an comparison. (Other than what one can do vs the other.)

But I am looking for the overall performance between both of them. Does one play fallout 4 better than the other?