What is the preferred method of cleaning your game discs?

Theminecraftaddict555

Title says it all again :D

Just wanting to hear some answers just in case I ever need to clean a disc in the future

I have heard that you can use your shirt (clean and plain shirt) to clean the discs of fingerprints and stuff <<Not sure if that works anymore 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

the preferred method is storing them in a way you dont need to clean them.

but really, just a soft cloth is all you need. (if you have someone with glasses around you should have quite a few of them by now, they give them for free with new glasses)

Here's a tip in case you ever need it: the data is actually not stored on the "shiny side" - it's stored on the under side of the top layer with the image/writing on it, so if you scratch the bottom of the disk, you can probably just polish that out and it will work, but if you scrape through the top layer, it's done!  I learned this the hard way one day :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Here's a tip in case you ever need it: the data is actually not stored on the "shiny side" - it's stored on the under side of the top layer with the image/writing on it, so if you scratch the bottom of the disk, you can probably just polish that out and it will work, but if you scrape through the top layer, it's done!  I learned this the hard way one day :P

or if you have a lightscribe disk drive that somehow tried to burn audio the lightscribe way leaving you with a see-trough disk :P

yeah folks, dont get cheap lightscribe disk drives xD

I just spit on it and rub it on my pants...

/sarcasm

Honestly I've never actually had to clean any game discs now that I think about it, If it's not in use it goes back in the case.

I just googled it and Microsoft suggests wiping the disc in a motion from the center to the outside edge with a clean, damp cloth for the Xbone and it sounds like sound advice.

I have a hard time picturing that...But I will interpret 

So the data is stored in the center circle of the top disc on the imaged side of the disc?

Resident-Evil-5-Biohazard-5-Cd-Cover-466

I use methylated spirits to get rid of the scratches other than that just a cloth or tissues to clean. 

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Thermite because ain't nobody got time for discs when you got steam

I use my shirt.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I have a hard time picturing that...But I will interpret 

So the data is stored in the center circle of the top disc on the imaged side of the disc?

Imagine it as two layers (which it actually is).  There is the disc of clear plastic which makes up pretty much the entire thickness of the disc, and then a thin layer pasted on top.  The top of this thin top layer is the image you see on the disc, and the underside of this thin top layer is where the data is (or seems to be).

In fact here's a picture confirming this:

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Imagine it as two layers (which it actually is).  There is the disc of clear plastic which makes up pretty much the entire thickness of the disc, and then a thin layer pasted on top.  The top of this thin top layer is the image you see on the disc, and the underside of this thin top layer is where the data is (or seems to be).

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

So underneath the reflective layer (the one where you see dem scratches and thumbprints) the data is stored there?  

So underneath the reflective layer (the one where you see dem scratches and thumbprints) the data is stored there?  

Any fingerprints and so on would be on the very bottom, where it said "read side".  But on the other side of that clear part, under all the thin coatings, is where the data is stored.

Any fingerprints and so on would be on the very bottom, where it said "read side".  But on the other side of that clear part, under all the thin coatings, is where the data is stored.

OH okay...

Anyway, is it true that ps3, ps4, wii u, xbox one, and xbox 360 game discs are more resistant to scratches?  

So would it be alright to use my shirt to clean the fingerprints off of the game discs if there were any? 

OH okay...

Anyway, is it true that ps3, ps4, wii u, xbox one, and xbox 360 game discs are more resistant to scratches?  

So would it be alright to use my shirt to clean the fingerprints off of the game discs if there were any? 

I don't know about them being physically different, but for cleaning, just make sure you have a clean, ideally lint-free cloth and just wet the disc and wipe it off.  A shirt isn't ideal, but unless it's got stones or oil in it, it should be fine :)

I don't know about them being physically different, but for cleaning, just make sure you have a clean, ideally lint-free cloth and just wet the disc and wipe it off.  A shirt isn't ideal, but unless it's got stones or oil in it, it should be fine :)

Ok thanks :)

BTW are coffee filters good for cleaning discs since they are lint free unless they are too rough 

Ok thanks :)

BTW are coffee filters good for cleaning discs since they are lint free unless they are too rough 

that wouldn't have ever occurred to me.  Using any kind of towel would probably be best.

Put a layer of tooth paste across the entire disc let it sit for 24-48 hours then clean with hot water and dry with a tissue. Hope that helped!

Profesional Newb

27 minutes ago, NewBieToPC said:

Put a layer of tooth paste across the entire disc let it sit for 24-48 hours then clean with hot water and dry with a tissue. Hope that helped!

I believe that method is outdated

On 1/25/2016 at 7:16 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

cdLayersAnnotated.jpg

Wait....... WHAT?!!!!!!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 hour ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Wait....... WHAT?!!!!!!!

OK, I'll try explaining this again :P

See that bottom layer in the picture that is pretty thick?  That is the bulk of the disc, physically.  It's just a clear disk of plastic like the protective spacers you get when you buy a pack of blanks.  The three other layers above that I lumped into one in my initial description.  Basically, the "disk art" (the image on the disk) is printed on that layer, and so are the actual lumps that make up the data.  The art is printed on the top side facing you, and the data is printed on the underside, facing the plastic disk against which it gets fused.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK, I'll try explaining this again :P

See that bottom layer in the picture that is pretty thick?  That is the bulk of the disc, physically.  It's just a clear disk of plastic like the protective spacers you get when you buy a pack of blanks.  The three other layers above that I lumped into one in my initial description.  Basically, the "disk art" (the image on the disk) is printed on that layer, and so are the actual lumps that make up the data.  The art is printed on the top side facing you, and the data is printed on the underside, facing the plastic disk against which it gets fused.

LOL I understood what you were saying. :D I just never knew that was how the disks worked. I always thought and was told the silver open to the elements bottom was where the data was written to. :P Now I know better!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

20 hours ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I believe that method is outdated

well it works for me, but yes im sure theres a better way, it is just how i do it.

Profesional Newb

1 hour ago, NewBieToPC said:

well it works for me, but yes im sure theres a better way, it is just how i do it.

It may not work for certain game discs today....I could list other factors that go into your method but that is not the focus on the thread 

Yeh I wouldn't be suprised, the last time I did it I did to a Xbox 360 disc! lol

Profesional Newb