Blender and Awesomebump PC build

Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
6 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Thing is now however that I don't trust the fans to work properly when stressed to the max.

The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx Tempered Glass edition case has a fan hub powered by a Sata cable, and a line in that I'm supposed to connect to the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard.

My CPU cooler has two fans though with 4pin cables. The Fan hub has 3pin output connectors to the case fans and they want me to connect the CPU fans on it aswell.

A 4 pin cable to a 3 pin fan hub?

Now I've got the two cpu fans connected with a 4pin Y cable that came with the Noctua cooler connected to CPU_Fan on the motherboard and the 4pin input cable of the fan hub with all the case fans connected to it attatched to Syst_Fan 2 on the motherboard.

Is that to much for one connector to handle? Manual said that the SATA cable should not be attatched if you use another port than the CPU_FAN connector.

I think you have it right.  I would not plug the hub into the CPU_FAN.  The cooler should be there.

The hub is powered separately, so the motherboard socket will not have to deal with extra voltage.

I have a family member that has the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, it has a hub too.  He has a problem with the rear exhaust fan not always spinning when it is connected to the hub... this is just a FYI.  He connected it straight to the motherboard.

Your motherboard has enough fan sockets for your fans... 4 total I think?  You can bypass the hub entirely should you see the need to.

A good little program to mess around with fan speeds and set fan curves is Speedfan.  It is simple and effective.  It has been around a long time.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I have a fan controller, so I only use speedfan for the CPU cooler fan.  I have it to display my CPU temp on the lower right all the time:

G88Emp8.png

6 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Looks nice, but to quote Will Smith in Men in Black: "Hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause....DANG!"xD

lol, this is a post apocalyptic world.  All the decorators are dead. =/

I could do more to spruce it up, I wanted to shrink the black tiles too... but it is too much work.

Every piece is placed manually, every wall every ceiling tile... bleh... everything.  That was 100 hours of work.  Don't get me wrong it is fun, but I want to play the game too.  I finish this and I move on to the newer Fallout 4. =P

I noticed my corn stalks are too reflective, I will have to adjust the lighting there.

• 5 months later...

I know......I will dissapoint you when I say that I still haven't come around to building a computer. I can tell you though that I've been quite busy improving my Blendering.

Sorry about that.

https://sketchfab.com/rudolf-rednose

I'm considering taking a shortcut to upgrade my hardware:

Would this be any good? (price is in €)

IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

Well, I díd set up a new desk to place my computer on already.....

and I could have expected this answer.

Actually got freelance work (for peanuts) making low poly game assets. Bizar how you get stuck between three worlds.

3D artists tell you things need to be photorealistic and "any game computer should do, kinda sortof donreallyknowbout that".

Programmers only worry about the amount of data that will be pushed around and things should be as small as possible. The computer? "Well eh,.....as long as it can run the programs."The Linustechtips wizzards" say "Mumbo Jumbo CPU/CSU, overclocked lizzardlegs, frogeyes fried on a heatsink and a sniff of cooling paste."

Spoiler
Spoiler

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Well, I díd set up a new desk to place my computer on already.....

and I could have expected this answer.

Actually got freelance work (for peanuts) making low poly game assets. Bizar how you get stuck between three worlds.

3D artists tell you things need to be photorealistic and "any game computer should do, kinda sortof donreallyknowbout that".

Programmers only worry about the amount of data that will be pushed around and things should be as small as possible. The computer? "Well eh,.....as long as it can run the programs."The Linustechtips wizzards" say "Mumbo Jumbo CPU/CSU, overclocked lizzardlegs, frogeyes fried on a heatsink and a sniff of cooling paste."

The Erazer:  STConquest Edition

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (€391.72 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  (€87.99 @ Aquatuning)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€180.84 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€187.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Patriot Torch LE 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€119.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€75.87 @ Mindfactory)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  (€483.68 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  (€107.83 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€79.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  (€97.40 @ Mindfactory)
Total: €1813.05
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 20:46 CEST+0200

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I thought I might aswell suprise everybody here and order the parts for this build.

Wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.pngOk, finally got my parts.

I placed the power supply, the motherboard, the heatsink, the ram but I think the heatsink is rather big to leave room enough for the videocard to fit into the most upper slot.

I heard that's where it's supposed to go, because the pcie 1 is supposed to be the fastest. Also pcie 3 and 4 seem to be different. That would leave pcie 2 as the only other option.

the writing on the motherboard is somewhat confusing though: "Intel GbE LAN M.2" it says at pcie 2, not AMD crossfire and Nvidea SLI like it is written at pcie 1.

Also I had to place the outer fan of the  heatsink a bit higher to leave room for the ram.....but that's just a minor thingy (I hope).

Now why doesn't Noctia make that heatsink a bit asymmetrical? Then you could  choose where it takes up the most space.

I'll go through the manual to see if I can find an answer about the placing of the videocard.

the partpickers list again:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

5 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Ok, finally got my parts.

I placed the power supply, the motherboard, the heatsink, the ram but I think the heatsink is rather big to leave room enough for the videocard to fit into the most upper slot.

I heard that's where it's supposed to go, because the pcie 1 is supposed to be the fastest. Also pcie 3 and 4 seem to be different. That would leave pcie 2 as the only other option.

the writing on the motherboard is somewhat confusing though: "Intel GbE LAN M.2" it says at pcie 2, not AMD crossfire and Nvidea SLI like it is written at pcie 1.

Also I had to place the outer fan of the  heatsink a bit higher to leave room for the ram.....but that's just a minor thingy (I hope).

Now why doesn't Noctia make that heatsink a bit asymmetrical? Then you could  choose where it takes up the most space.

I'll go through the manual to see if I can find an answer about the placing of the videocard.

the partpickers list again:

Are you placing the heat sink to blow upwards?  It should be placed to blow out towards the rear exhaust.

Noctua-NH-D15-Monta%C5%BC_1.jpg

21 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Like this?

Holy crap... ok.

You are okay this way unless you want to go SLI (actually with this board you might be able to do Slot 2/3 for SLI).  You can go to the second PCI-E slot.  If you want that top slot PCI-E, you can...

Turn the heat sink 90 degrees to now shoot the hot air upwards.  Have one fan in the middle and one fan pulling air from the top.

It is 4-way SLI so you can do any slot you want.

@Rudolf_Rednose  Don't worry about the "Intel GbE LAN" writing on the motherboard.  It has nothing to do with the PCI-E slot.

Ok, translation into laymen's terms:

Either rip the heatsink out again, turn it 90 degrees, let it blow upwards.

or....leave it as it is. It doesn't matter which pci-e slot I use.

the pci-e slots dó seem to have different "pins" (?) however. 1 and 2 seem the most alike. 3 and 4 have only half the connections. Quite puzzled by that, (image.jpegbecause I don't get the "go SLI" bit.)

2 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Ok, translation into laymen's terms:

Either rip the heatsink out again, turn it 90 degrees, let it blow upwards.

or....leave it as it is. It doesn't matter which pci-e slot I use.

the pci-e slots dó seem to have different "pins" (?) however. 1 and 2 seem the most alike. 3 and 4 have only half the connections. Quite puzzled by that, (because I don't get the "go SLI" bit.)

You can leave it the way it is.  The fans shifted to make room for the RAM is fine.  Using the other PCI-E slots is fine too.  3 and 4 are probably x8 lanes.

I have been learning more about 3d modeling from (semi) professionals.  When you start to make money doing this stuff and projects get really big, look for HP z400 used workstations. 

They are dual Xeon systems with two 8 core CPUs... 16 cores 32 threads.  They run pretty damn cheap.  Like $500 USD.  They will increase your workflow if you need the "render farm".  Just throw a GPU in it and go.

But that is for another day.

I got to sleep.  Take your time and don't panic if something should go wrong.  It most likely will go smoothly and you will be installing Windows soon.  I'll Check back later.  :D

Thanks for your help.

I hope by posting my ignorance on this forum so publicly, someone else might benefit from my adventure here.

By the way, I posted this planned build on Blender users websites and I got quite some nice replies about the part-pickers list. At first some replied that it seems lite a top of the range gamers pc, but when I explained that I'm planning on making game assets mostly, they thought this pc will be great.

So back to "building the perfect beast"! (Oh yes, I was a big Don Henley fan!)

Next topic I'll be making is " what is your favourite music while building?" And "What is your worst coffee or beer spill while building? (Pictures please!)":)

On the graphics card however:

in the maunual of the motherboard it says " (Note 1) The 4-Way SLI configuration is not supported when an i7-5820K CPU is installed". Ghee! I hope that means "if you want to slam in 4 GPU's you are out of luck." And not the 4 slots are not all equal, so you only can use pci-e1 for your first graphics cart and if you want expand you can use first 2 and then 4.....you just can't connect nr 2 aswell.

I'll contunue on this course and put the GPU in PCI-E_2 and wire things up.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

3 hours ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Thanks for your help.

I hope by posting my ignorance on this forum so publicly, someone else might benefit from my adventure here.

By the way, I posted this planned build on Blender users websites and I got quite some nice replies about the part-pickers list. At first some replied that it seems lite a top of the range gamers pc, but when I explained that I'm planning on making game assets mostly, they thought this pc will be great.

So back to "building the perfect beast"! (Oh yes, I was a big Don Henley fan!)

Next topic I'll be making is " what is your favourite music while building?" And "What is your worst coffee or beer spill while building? (Pictures please!)":)

On the graphics card however:

in the manual of the motherboard it says " (Note 1) The 4-Way SLI configuration is not supported when an i7-5820K CPU is installed". Ghee! I hope that means "if you want to slam in 4 GPU's you are out of luck." And not the 4 slots are not all equal, so you only can use pci-e1 for your first graphics cart and if you want expand you can use first 2 and then 4.....you just can't connect nr 2 aswell.

I'll continue on this course and put the GPU in PCI-E_2 and wire things up.

The 5820K allows or 28 PCI-E lanes.  Nvidia cards require x8 lanes per card to run.  x8x8x8 would work, but the fourth would have to run at x4 and Nvidia won't allow that.

The 5930K and 5960X both have 40 lanes available.

Since every PCI-E slot is rated for a minimum of x8 lanes, I don't think which slot you run the card on matters.  Trial and error is your friend.;)

Note:  Nivida stopped support for 3-way and 4-way SLI on all the new Pascal GPUs.

Well........got it put together as far as I've got parts. Done the wires and the pretty lights came on. (Isn't that the main thing?)

It run for a few seconds and then turns off again, and on again, and off etc.

Hick-ups today were that the case doesn't appear to have a regular reset button but combines it with the led lighting.

Also the cpu fans have 4 pin plugs. One can go into the cpu fan socket, but for the second you need a splitter that comes with the cooler.

Now the case has a PWM hub that should be plugged into thats same cpu fan socket on the mother board. Think the idea is that you use a liquid cooled cpu cooler in the top of the case that is managed by that same PWM hub which is plugged into the PCU_Fan socket. On the board. 

I can't plug the cpu cooler fans into the PWM hub and plug that into the cpu fan socket because the hub has only 3-pin connectors (the cooler fans have 4).

sigh....(such fun.)

8 hours ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Well........got it put together as far as I've got parts. Done the wires and the pretty lights came on. (Isn't that the main thing?)

It run for a few seconds and then turns off again, and on again, and off etc.

Hick-ups today were that the case doesn't appear to have a regular reset button but combines it with the led lighting.

Also the cpu fans have 4 pin plugs. One can go into the cpu fan socket, but for the second you need a splitter that comes with the cooler.

Now the case has a PWM hub that should be plugged into thats same cpu fan socket on the mother board. Think the idea is that you use a liquid cooled cpu cooler in the top of the case that is managed by that same PWM hub which is plugged into the PCU_Fan socket. On the board. 

I can't plug the cpu cooler fans into the PWM hub and plug that into the cpu fan socket because the hub has only 3-pin connectors (the cooler fans have 4).

sigh....(such fun.)

Doh!

Have you solved the reboot cycle yet?

Does the motherboard have a second 4-pin socket other than the one marked CPU?  It should.  You have full fan control over any 4-pin connection through software in Windows.

Yeah, you have four 4-pin sockets for fans... you can use any two for the heat sink fans.

There are 4 pin sockets for fans all over the place.

i have plugged the splitter cable for the 2 cpu fans on CPU Fan_1 and the cable that goes to the hub that regulates the case fans in System fan_1.

The cycle is not solved yet. Maybe it has something to do with the light and the reset-button being one and the same.

Or it is an in-build security that prevents the pc from running if something is not connected right? I'll try taking everything off piece by piece untill something might show.

Took the ram out, the gpu, disconnectet the hdd, the ssd, put the power cables for the sata out and put it in the other 0 and 1 port on the mb, 

disconnected the second fan on the cpu cooler. Disconnected the case fans, the fanhub, checked the wires in the psu, mb cable in the two mb slots, pci-e in a pcu / pci-e slot in the psi.

the 8 pin cable from the mb in the pcu / pci-e slot

Put the pwm hub cable in the cpu_fan connector......

it turns on, runs for half a minute or so and shuts off, and directly on again, etc.

i think the only thing left is to remove the cpu cooler, see if the processor is still ok, if the thermal paste is spreaded correctly, clean the darn thing and try again.

My gut feeling is that the thing constantly resets.