Blender and Awesomebump PC build

Go to solution Solved by stconquest,
6 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

Thing is now however that I don't trust the fans to work properly when stressed to the max.

The Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx Tempered Glass edition case has a fan hub powered by a Sata cable, and a line in that I'm supposed to connect to the CPU_FAN connector on the motherboard.

My CPU cooler has two fans though with 4pin cables. The Fan hub has 3pin output connectors to the case fans and they want me to connect the CPU fans on it aswell.

A 4 pin cable to a 3 pin fan hub?

Now I've got the two cpu fans connected with a 4pin Y cable that came with the Noctua cooler connected to CPU_Fan on the motherboard and the 4pin input cable of the fan hub with all the case fans connected to it attatched to Syst_Fan 2 on the motherboard.

Is that to much for one connector to handle? Manual said that the SATA cable should not be attatched if you use another port than the CPU_FAN connector.

I think you have it right.  I would not plug the hub into the CPU_FAN.  The cooler should be there.

The hub is powered separately, so the motherboard socket will not have to deal with extra voltage.

I have a family member that has the Phanteks Enthoo Pro, it has a hub too.  He has a problem with the rear exhaust fan not always spinning when it is connected to the hub... this is just a FYI.  He connected it straight to the motherboard.

Your motherboard has enough fan sockets for your fans... 4 total I think?  You can bypass the hub entirely should you see the need to.

A good little program to mess around with fan speeds and set fan curves is Speedfan.  It is simple and effective.  It has been around a long time.

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I have a fan controller, so I only use speedfan for the CPU cooler fan.  I have it to display my CPU temp on the lower right all the time:

G88Emp8.png

Hi there,

After fiddling around on my laptop with Blender (a free 3D software) for about a year following Youtube tutorials and all of that good stuff, my laptop cant keep up with my needs.

It seems I need to build my own PC that can run the latest version of Blender.

Like someone quite correctly said it's a problem when money is not really the big issue here. I would just buy the biggest and the fastest or anything they throw at me.

I guess I need at least a Nvidea 980.

Blender.org gives this system requirement:

Optimal (production-grade) hardware

• 64-bit eight core CPU
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Two full HD displays with 24 bit color
  • Three button mouse and graphics tablet
  • Dual OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics cards with 4 GB RAM

But since this is a first build......and I already getting a feel of how great it must be to have done this, I don't want to end up with a black box. Befitting my early midlifecrisis it should be a desk build or a glass boxy led lighty thing. Maybe some watercooling....for whatever reason.

You gather already that this is just another shout out for help.

Any advice will be really welcome.

Hi there,

So what budget what country?

And how hardcore is the 3D modeling? because you should probably just buy a workstation card, though I'd imagine you're going to do gaming as well

not to get too technical but you mean 8 threads, not 8 cores, 8 core intel CPUs run like a thousand dollars right now.

OpenCL/CUDA stuff

http://www.austeregrim.com/2012/08/cycles-cuda-vs-opencl.html

From a quick look at this the first comment is a 390X beats a titan, it's going to depend on the tasks you're doing as well, weather they can use OpenCL or CUDA or OpenGL I guess, but I don't think anyone ever cares about OpenGL

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/856240/r9-390x-is-beating-the-titanx-in-blenders-cycles-render-engine-unacceptable-/

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?376184-How-is-it-that-the-R9-390x-beats-GTX-TitanX

Blender Wiki Open CL

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/OpenCL

GPU general rendering

https://www.blender.org/manual/render/cycles/gpu_rendering.html

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

i think blender can use CUDA, pretty sure i remember lending my SLI 780ti's computing power to render a LTT forum users blender animation. 2880 cuda cores per card nom nom nom. 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Blender can use CUDA and OpenCl though this last one is not fully implemented yet. I'd say go with an Nvidia graphics card

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

Hi there,

- -

But since this is a first build......and I already getting a feel of how great it must be to have done this, I don't want to end up with a black box. Befitting my early midlifecrisis it should be a desk build or a glass boxy led lighty thing. Maybe some watercooling....for whatever reason.

You gather already that this is just another shout out for help.

Any advice will be really welcome.

Mulitple CPU cores is only a benefit while rendering (up to 8 threads), not while actually doing work (single thread support only). 

You are not restricted to only CUDA (nvidia), OpenCL is also supported.  An AMD GPU will work fine.

Well, here is your overkill "Blender PC" (no OS, no monitor, no peripherals):

$1508:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.90 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($115.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($150.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card  ($599.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.82 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 61.2 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($11.90 @ Newegg)

Total: $1488.24

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 11:51 EST-0500

I would buy it in the Netherlands, But I live just across the border in Germany. 

Budget? I looked for the Mac Pro,......€ 3500,--, But It seems Apple has no interest in this stuff.

After the initial blow, I arranged myself with spending that much, but the calf should not become bigger than the cow, as they say.

(it's a hobby, so it can cost me some.)

Thanks so far!

oh yes, maybe Rise of Flight and other Flight simulators.....not too bloody stuff anyway. :)

I would buy it in the Netherlands, But I live just across the border in Germany. 

Budget? I looked for the Mac Pro,......€ 3500,--, But It seems Apple has no interest in this stuff.

After the initial blow, I arranged myself with spending that much, but the calf should not become bigger than the cow, as they say.

(it's a hobby, so it can cost me some.)

Thanks so far!

oh yes, maybe Rise of Flight and other Flight simulators.....not too bloody stuff anyway. :)

Don't spend that much for a hobby machine.

Very capable:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.88 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.4 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.90 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.34 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 390 8GB Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg)  <<Switch with GTX 970 if you feel the need.  Do not spend more for the GTX 980.

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.82 @ Amazon)

Total: $1097.67

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 14:16 EST-0500

Budget-friendly, but still capable:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($72.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.34 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($188.99 @ NCIX US)  <<or GTX 960 4GB

Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $860.94

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 14:21 EST-0500

So something like this then? and ya if it's just a hobby it's probably not going to matter either way. The X99 build below is going to be overkill

Xeon 1231v3 + 390  $1000 Euro

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/T7vHP6

PCPartPicker part list: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/nrc3hM

Price breakdown by merchant: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/nrc3hM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  (€418.25 @ Mindfactory)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€36.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Asus X99-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  (€262.22 @ Mindfactory)

Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (€81.93 @ Mindfactory)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€49.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 Nano 4GB Video Card  (€506.96 @ Mindfactory)

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO ATX Desktop Case  (€99.87 @ Mindfactory)

Power Supply: XFX TS 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (€91.60 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Total: €1547.72

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-24 20:43 CET+0100

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

So what budget what country?

And how hardcore is the 3D modeling? because you should probably just buy a workstation card, though I'd imagine you're going to do gaming as well

not to get too technical but you mean 8 threads, not 8 cores, 8 core intel CPUs run like a thousand dollars right now.

OpenCL/CUDA stuff

From a quick look at this the first comment is a 390X beats a titan, it's going to depend on the tasks you're doing as well, weather they can use OpenCL or CUDA or OpenGL I guess, but I don't think anyone ever cares about OpenGL

Blender Wiki Open CL

GPU general rendering

It's taken directly from the Blender download section, system requirements.

Minimum (basic usage) hardware
  • 32-bit dual core 2Ghz  CPU with SSE2 support.
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 24 bits 1280×768 display
  • Mouse or trackpad
  • OpenGL 2.1 compatible graphics with 512 MB RAM
Recommended hardware
  • 64-bit quad core CPU
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Full HD display with 24 bit color
  • Three button mouse
  • OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics with 2 GB RAM
Optimal (production-grade) hardware
  • 64-bit eight core CPU
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Two full HD displays with 24 bit color
  • Three button mouse and graphics tablet
  • Dual OpenGL 3.2 compatible graphics cards with 4 GB RAM

Thanks for all the advice.

Somehow when I take it all in I get the feeling a GTX 970 is a better choice, but on Blenderartists.com they say a nvidia 980ti is the minimum I should get.

Wouldn't a liquidcooled CPU be a better choice, because the rendering already goes on for hours with the noobystuff I do.

Been googling all day again, and I am moving away from my initial craving to go for a beautiful glass case to a more sensible quiet case, thanks for that advice. just a glass panel must do.

I hope you don't mind my questions, but I have zero experience in building computers. I must say however that the more I throw myself into this it seems less like learning Arapaho and is actually quite interesting.

I do notice that diving into this stuff made me get a tunnelvision and I thank you for talking some sence into me. 

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/showthread.php?290087-AMD-GPU-vs-NVIDIA

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?257323-What-everybody-needs-to-know-about-Blender-Viewport-performance

Seems blender doesn't really need workstation grade cards, doesn't suppose the addition features as well.

But from that thread at least they seem to be recommending an AMD card, It seems more like it depends what you're going to do in blender, but ya NVIDIA gives you access to CUDA, unless that AMD conversion library works out for giving AMD cards CUDA support.

Although a 390 does give you 8gbs, seems you'd want a lot of VRAM for 3D modeling work apparently, you could always make the jump to a titan X.

Not sure if you can actually run two cards, giving one each task it's good at, should be possible, a guy in the above thread near the end said he was going to do that

but ya I guess the NVIDIA card is probably the safest bet overall.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-GPU-for-Blender-3D-and-Gaming

Spoiler

Thanks Streetguru, great article.

As you have seen, AMD has some "encouraging results" is not the safest bet, and everyone keeps stressing the danger of overheating.

I think I should get a case that is big enough for maybe later on expanding to two cards, and more advanced cooling. Maybe something like a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX . (am I learning something?)

I also notice that it is very important to check how old posts on any forum or Youtube are, because Blender evolves like crazy.

Would it be a good idea to start a section here for 3D artists to get into all of this hardware stuff? You guys are so helpful I am sure I'm not the only one that will appreciate this site.

Thanks for all the advice.

Somehow when I take it all in I get the feeling a GTX 970 is a better choice, but on Blenderartists.com they say a nvidia 980ti is the minimum I should get.

Wouldn't a liquidcooled CPU be a better choice, because the rendering already goes on for hours with the noobystuff I do.

Been googling all day again, and I am moving away from my initial craving to go for a beautiful glass case to a more sensible quiet case, thanks for that advice. just a glass panel must do.

I hope you don't mind my questions, but I have zero experience in building computers. I must say however that the more I throw myself into this it seems less like learning Arapaho and is actually quite interesting.

I do notice that diving into this stuff made me get a tunnelvision and I thank you for talking some sence into me. 

What CPU do you have in your laptop?

Liquid cooling a CPU does not make it faster.  Overclocking makes a CPU makes it faster (all my builds above support overclocking).  You do not need liquid cooling to overclock.  There are air coolers that cool just as well as liquid all-in-one coolers (240mm radiators) for around $70 USD;  and they are quieter a lot of the time.

Remember, you may "feel" that the GTX 970 would be better but you really have no idea.  Performance is not a guessing game.  No matter how you "feel", performance numbers are not determined by that in any way.  If you like guessing, go ahead.  We can help you get the best card in a given price range based on statistics (real world).

There is no such thing as a nice quiet case.  There is such thing as a well planned PC.  You can have a PC with a window that is quieter than a PC with noise dampening material throughout.  Noise is made by moving parts (fans, hard drives, electricity).  If you control the moving parts, you control the noise.  Simple, right?

Keep asking questions.  You have not given us a budget.  Do you have lots of money to throw around?  We can help you get the most bleeding edge system that you will NEVER need, but I would absolutely hate to do that.  :(

:D

Do you need displays?

I assume you need Windows.

Do you need a keyboard and mouse?

Do you need speakers/headset?

Wireless ethernet?

"Feel" is something I deduce from the posts on Blenderartists.org......I don't know, but I'm glad you dó.

Just thought that a aircooled CPU is less reliable that a liquid cooled, but hey, what do I know. It's just that even professional artists tell you that rendering a picture costs the PC some 8 or more hours.

Since I have no experience in building a computer I tend to be on the safe side. Sure any gaming computer will do for the next couple of years, but if I am gonna make a leap of faith that I can put together a PC myself (....ok, with your help.....ok, by you), it might aswell be a good one. and why not make it cool looking while I'm (/we're) at it?

It can cost about € 2000,--, (maybe a bit more) for all of it together, but a second monitor can wait, Maybe Windows 10 is a nice investment for it all to be "futureproof".

Keyboard and mouse would be nice, but only for the matching colours :P .

A little gaming capacity for flight simulation would be good, but if my wife catches me doing that on the pc aswell .....I'm toast! (now I just play Dogfight on the iPad). I promiss it t's just for research, honestly!  :rolleyes:

Ethernet? Nah, a cable thingy would do just fine. Internet is terribly slow here anyway, but ways to upgrade would be nice for if we move.

"Feel" is something I deduce from the posts on Blenderartists.org......I don't know, but I'm glad you dó.

Just thought that a aircooled CPU is less reliable that a liquid cooled, but hey, what do I know. It's just that even professional artists tell you that rendering a picture costs the PC some 8 or more hours.

Since I have no experience in building a computer I tend to be on the safe side. Sure any gaming computer will do for the next couple of years, but if I am gonna make a leap of faith that I can put together a PC myself (....ok, with your help.....ok, by you), it might aswell be a good one. and why not make it cool looking while I'm (/we're) at it?

It can cost about € 2000,--, (maybe a bit more) for all of it together, but a second monitor can wait, Maybe Windows 10 is a nice investment for it all to be "futureproof".

Keyboard and mouse would be nice, but only for the matching colours :P .

A little gaming capacity for flight simulation would be good, but if my wife catches me doing that on the pc aswell .....I'm toast! (now I just play Dogfight on the iPad). I promiss it t's just for research, honestly!  :rolleyes:

Ethernet? Nah, a cable thingy would do just fine. Internet is terribly slow here anyway, but ways to upgrade would be nice for if we move.

I am in no way an expert regarding 3D modeling.  I am however familiar with the value of hardware, especially within a particular budget.

8 hours to render a picture?  You must mean a 3D scene, like billions and billions of polygons/textures.  Or maybe I am wrong, I have never worked with 3D modeling before.

You can render (in Blender) using the CPU or using the GPU apparently, please correct me if I am wrong.  You have to decide how you want your money to be spent. 

Within your budget:

The 980Ti is the best money spent for GPU power.  The Titan X has a fraction better speed and 6 extra GB or VRAM but is 30% more cost.  Beyond those two cards you have the professional grade cards (Quadros/Firepros).  Those are not within your price range, not the ones that have enough value to compete with the 980Ti.

If you are going to render solely on the GPU, then single core CPU performance is all you need.  A case like this would have the i3 as a smart choice... BUT if you want the option of rendering on the CPU you have these:

At your budget an i5 6500 (overclocking as necessary) can get you great single core performance (modeling), but you are limited to 4 threads (rendering).

An i7 6700 will have similar single thread performance to the i5, but you have a massive boost with the 8 threads that Hyper-Threading enables.

The i7 5820K has six cores, with HT; effectively 12 threads.  I would assume Blender uses the 6 "real" cores and enables HT on two of those but this is just a guess on my part.

Beyond those you have the 5960X and select Xeons.  This would be eight or more cores + HT.  These are out of your price range.

€2000 is a lot of money for a PC.  

€1900, keyboard and mouse would be your choice.  This system is quiet.  Everything about it is quiet. 

You have large fans that do not spin fast, but move a lot of air. 

You have a giant heat sink on the CPU which means the fans will move hot air away from the CPU easily.

You have a six fan hub controller included with this case.  You can control all the fans in Windows.  All the case fans connect to a single hub hidden inside the case.

You have your shiny clear window as well.  You can have a quiet machine with a window.  If this is too much window for you, you can look at the Phanteks Enthoo Pro (full tower) or the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M (mid tower, like the one I have in the list but with a different side panel)

The 850W power supply is capable of supporting two GTX 980tis, if you ever feel the need.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€329.18 @ Mindfactory)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  (€79.73 @ Mindfactory)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (€138.95 @ Mindfactory)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (€100.40 @ Mindfactory)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€153.19 @ Mindfactory)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€49.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)  << To back up your work

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  (€688.97 @ Mindfactory)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic ATX Mid Tower Case  (€103.74 @ Mindfactory)

Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€130.42 @ Mindfactory)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  (€107.73 @ Mindfactory)

Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm  Fan  (€14.90 @ Caseking)

Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BK 82.1 CFM 140mm  Fan  (€14.90 @ Caseking)

Total: €1912.10

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 02:44 CET+0100

If you are wondering where to spend more.

Options:

6700K for multiplier stepping to overclock, instead of BCLK overclocking on the 6700.  +€70

X99 build with a 5820K.  +€100-€150 for the more expensive motherboard

A second GTX980Ti.  Check to make sure Blender can utilize two GPUs.  + the price on the first ;)

Thanks Streetguru, great article.

The 290 series ran hot only because they had blower style coolers on them and used a fair bit of power, just about all the 300 series cards have standard dual to tri fan heat sinks on them, they'll be fine.

Spoiler

As I understand it you need good graphic cards to see what you are making, while you are making it.

You do the most baking and rendering in CPU (I believe) but turning a 3D model into a picture, with all the lighting, glossiness, textures, shadows and what have you can take quite a bit.

Let alone the making of a animation.

I really like the last setup.  I am sure this will run like a charm. I really like the expandability of it,

Really gotta rush off to do some work done now, but I'll have a closer look at this this evening.

A BIG THANK YOU ALL again.

A quick explanation of what's working in ablender is about from a very well known Blender artist I have the HIGHEST RESPECT for. If you ever want to do any arty farty stuff on the computer, check out his youtube tutorials. They are just are so to the point.

One of SOME YEARS AGO : http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-a-computer-for-blender/

But Blender has come a long way since then, although the basis still applies, I gues. (Yes....I'm guessing again!)

A quick explanation of what's working in ablender is about from a very well known Blender artist I have the HIGHEST RESPECT for. If you ever want to do any arty farty stuff on the computer, check out his youtube tutorials. They are just are so to the point.

One of SOME YEARS AGO : http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/the-ultimate-guide-to-buying-a-computer-for-blender/

But Blender has come a long way since then, although the basis still applies, I gues. (Yes....I'm guessing again!)

I am modding Fallout New Vegas (a game).  I am making a home/base of operations to use in the game.  It takes about 3 seconds to render it... lol... I will get a pic hold on...

I have not messed around with making custom textures or meshes (I did in Skyrim), but I have fun doing this:

73GnEvp.png

Why does a GeForce GTX 980 Ti automatically change a 6 core CPU into a quadcore at Partpickers?

Is it because it won't fit?

Turns out it "seems" to be the thing to go for, the most cores and one or two 980Ti's.

Why does a GeForce GTX 980 Ti automatically change a 6 core CPU into a quadcore at Partpickers?

Turns out it "seems" to be the thing to go for, the most cores and one or two 980Ti's.

Selecting a 980Ti should not affect any other part selection other than the powers supply.  Lower wattage power supplies are removed by PCPP.

Show me the build please.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($639.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($639.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1898.85

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 18:07 EST-0500

I experienced that Blender needs a very high amount of RAM(i think 32GB would be optimal), and in case you want to do fluid/smoke systems, you need high single-thread performance.

On 27-1-2016 at 0:04 AM, stconquest said:

Selecting a 980Ti should not affect any other part selection other than the powers supply.  Lower wattage power supplies are removed by PCPP.

Show me the build please.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1898.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-27 18:07 EST-0500

looks really good, but there would still be the case, the PSU, the memory, soundythingy, and the usual bits and bobs.

any advice on what would be needed more? (and post some screenshots of the game you are modelling for please.)

44 minutes ago, Rudolf_Rednose said:

looks really good, but there would still be the case, the PSU, the memory, soundythingy, and the usual bits and bobs.

any advice on what would be needed more? (and post some screenshots of the game you are modelling for please.)

I was just showing that a 980Ti should not affect the CPU choice.

I am not really modelling.  I am re-using available meshes and textures (anything the game has in it already) to make a base (to store gear, supplies, medical).  It is just something I seem to end up doing with Bethesda games like Skyrim.  I actually re-texured a helmet/hood in Skyrim because I did not like any of the available ones.

This is a five year old game BTW.  :)

https://imgur.com/a/rylnT

...or embedded:

Spoiler

Kitchen, armory and my companions:

ZRXl3EA.jpg

A man's gotta eat, indoor farm:

Ri86I9X.jpg

One of nine bedrooms, I only need one bed but I build the extra to make it feel real:

SbN9h8Q.jpg

Infirmary:

Lc6ReOP.jpg

Recreation and Workbenches (crafting) in the distance (left side/upper):

lnjNZqm.jpg

Close up of my avatar:

0zgJRCA.jpg