Killer $800 Gaming Laptop from... DELL? Inspiron 7559

LinusTech

Lenovo Y700 vs Dell 7559. What do you think guys? In Baltic countries Dell costs around 1000$ and Lenovo 700$, both with same spec: i7, 1TB+8GB SSHD, 960M, FHD. Dell have better baterry life and better anti-glare screen, but Lenovo upgraded to DDR4 and as much as I know better keyboard, touchpad and audio solution. So which is most likely to appear on my desk?

I have this laptop, I did bump up the ram to 16GB on my own for $36. im glad that I did. can I upgrade the wifi solution to some thing with a bit more speed? I mean it seems fine for daily tasks so far but if I can tinker I willl.  

that and I am having a slight problem with mine that it is quite noisy.   some times it gets grumpy and decides to broadcast static through my speakers.  did you have the same problems?

It's just an M.2 wifi card, so I don't see why not. You should be able to replace it.

The Dell service manual has steps for removing and replacing it: http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/inspiron-15-7559-laptop-v1/Procedure?guid=GUID-5DC3F2C0-F23E-41AC-BF74-F8359FE66A83

One small step to the GTX 965m was the only thing preventing this laptop from knocking it out of the part. That little 5 at the end makes such a huge performance difference. I'd be okay with the current model as a base model, but even the upgraded i7 model still has the 960m. Not cool.

At 899 USD, this puts it at $1271 CAD, which makes this a deal breaker for Canucks.

The Eurocom Shark 5 at 1099 CAD is a MUCH better deal with an i7 6700HQ.

It's just an M.2 wifi card, so I don't see why not. You should be able to replace it.

The Dell service manual has steps for removing and replacing it: http://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/inspiron-15-7559-laptop/inspiron-15-7559-laptop-v1/Procedure?guid=GUID-5DC3F2C0-F23E-41AC-BF74-F8359FE66A83

isnt the dell service manual awesome? I was actual surprised when i found it, it was actually a part of my purchase decision.  I am used to having to use some random guys pictures. this is awesome. 

so i just pick a random decent looking one? that i have antenna for?

Hmmmmmm I'm actually considering this laptop. My old one got a bunch of dead pixels from trip to Hawaii and my chromebook is well, a chromebook.

Only Rig: CPU I7 6700K @ 4.7Ghz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P | GPU GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition With Hybrid Cooler Installed | RAM G.Skill NT Series 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz | CPU Heatsink Corsair H100i V2 | SSD Kingston V300 Series 240GB | SSD Generic 120GB M.2| HDD Western Digital Blue 750GB (10 years old) | HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold | Case NZXT S340 Elite | Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1440P | KB Corsair K70 LUX | Mouse Logitech G402 | Headset  Logitech G933

My old one got a bunch of dead pixels from trip to Hawaii

how did that happen?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I honestly have no idea. I was using it and suddenly a dead pixel appeared and it spread progressively for a few day's then just stopped, it was really weird.

Only Rig: CPU I7 6700K @ 4.7Ghz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P | GPU GTX 1080 TI Founders Edition With Hybrid Cooler Installed | RAM G.Skill NT Series 16GB DDR4 @ 2600Mhz | CPU Heatsink Corsair H100i V2 | SSD Kingston V300 Series 240GB | SSD Generic 120GB M.2| HDD Western Digital Blue 750GB (10 years old) | HDD Seagate Barracuda 500GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold | Case NZXT S340 Elite | Monitor BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz 1440P | KB Corsair K70 LUX | Mouse Logitech G402 | Headset  Logitech G933

I think the more killer thing for me is Dell Sales schemes. They have been using bait and switch tactics for years now.

Just to see what kind of shenanigans they were up to I decided to check things out. In the U.S here they offer a Inspiron 15 7000 model that has all the reasonable performance parts checked.

I7 6700hq

960m 4gb model

8gb ram

1tb hybrid hdd.

So I clicked on the link that took me to that product page, and started looking things over.

Specs line up for what an 899 laptop should look like.

I scroll down the page and I see that it comes in 2 OS choices, 7 pro or 10 pro.

Thinking that the laptop value got even better for 899 I looked for the toggle. There wasn't one to be found.

Continuing to scroll. I saw:

Primed to play: Choose from multiple hard drive options, including a 1TB HDD dual drive and a 128GB solid-state drive for plenty of storage, stability and responsive performance.

I almost lost my shit, maybe I can get rid of that terrible 5400rpm abomination for a lower size ssd for the same 899 price. Again, there was no info or toggle.

In comes chat popup and I clicked it. Put in my info and proceeded to chat.

long story short, it was bait and switch.

Baiting people to chat or call customer sales and ask about the options.... Then say those options only apply to the 1299.99 model.

Even though I clicked on the 899 model and simply scrolled down when it loaded up and was promised unicorns that crapped rainbow sprinkles..... Cuz that may as well have been what it said.

Instead, I was told for 899 it was pre-configured though the features said the unit had changeable options.

Hey guys just wanted to know one thing. Can i add a external GPU(Full desktop GPU)  to the laptop with something like this ??

Please let me know of the result 

If it works then i will buy this laptop or else would build a gaming pc.. But need the portability of a laptop. I know there laptops which can match the performance of a desktop but my budject is limited to $1000. So please let me know. Thanks in advance :) :) :) 

Hey guys just wanted to know one thing. Can i add a external GPU(Full desktop GPU)  to the laptop with something like this ??

If it works then i will buy this laptop or else would build a gaming pc.. But need the portability of a laptop. I know there laptops which can match the performance of a desktop but my budject is limited to $1000. So please let me know. Thanks in advance :) :) :)

only works with thunderbolt and compatible  BIOS/EFI...which is not good right now. The external hardware to power it isnt worth it for lower end hardware either

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

would anyone know what fps it would run league on at very high? league and diablo 3 are the only games i can play without throwing up

Now I have a question @LinusTech

Do you plan on doing a sort of a "review" for the 6300HQ? I'm really interested how it performs when compared to 6700HQ nad 4720HQ in gaming, considering it's the first real i5 for laptops.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

On 29/01/2016 at 2:31 PM, Abhijith4590 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_8EYQ-2RA

If it works then i will buy this laptop or else would build a gaming pc.. But need the portability of a laptop. I know there laptops which can match the performance of a desktop but my budject is limited to $1000. So please let me know. Thanks in advance :):):)

No you can't.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Honestly, even when using a mouse and keyboard I feel like i can't get a "good" gaming experience on a laptop. I have a hard time playing games on the usual smaller screen on a laptop and in my opinion when i can't sit up in my own chair I feel uncomfortable. To me the actual performance of todays laptops are no problem but i prefer a gaming experience in my room sitting at my desk, and I am thoroughly impressed with dells work. #macbookairmasterrace  

Hey guys,  I was wondering there is any way to set up triple monitors on the dell inspiron 15 7559?

If so, how? Are adapters needed? If so, which do you reccomend?

12 minutes ago, petrified1 said:

Hey guys,  I was wondering there is any way to set up triple monitors on the dell inspiron 15 7559?

If so, how? Are adapters needed? If so, which do you reccomend?

There is no external dock if that's what you're wondering. And the only video output is a single HDMI 1.4A, so you can only hookup a single external monitor.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Any idea if the M.2 slot is PCIE or SATA3?

I would like to take it with and upgrade it with a Samsung Pro 950 SSD

Thanks in advice

2 hours ago, oma95to said:

Thanks in advice

Does

not

look

it

:(

@LinusTech can we get a verification please?

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

9 hours ago, oma95to said:

Thanks in advice

SATA III, last time I checked.

23 hours ago, Rev:) said:

, even when using a mouse and keyboard I feel like i can't get a "good" gaming experience on a laptop.

I normally sit and use a controller when out and about

Or the laptop on my lap with the mouse on the laptop wrist rest (always done this haha)

if at my desk I have it connected to a monitor and keyboard mouse

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I was looking for a great laptop, and this one is perfect except for one thing, HDMI 1.4A. If I remember correctly, HDMI 1.4A limits the external screen to 30 Hz, right?

I was looking for a laptop that can do 60 Hz with HDMI, I need it so I can hook up a capture card and record 1080p 60 fps gameplay.

So, is the HDMI 1.4A limited to 30 Hz or I am mistaking?

I remembered from this video about display connectors.