Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
r1Ns3

MSI Afterburner Voltage Control

Hello, I recently decided to further overclock my graphics card by giving it more voltage instead of just more power target. I currently have it running rock solid stable at 1337 MHz with MSI Afterburner Version 3.0.1.2390

You might think that I should just update it to the latest version anyway but NO please!

The new MSI afterburner looks like complete trash and I would rather stick with this version so if there is anyway to fix my problem please let me know without me having to update.

Problem: I can't unlock the voltage control in the settings! I have checked the "Unlock voltage control" check box and it made no difference, I also tried "Unlock voltage monitoring" and it also made no difference! Why is this?

Is it because the GTX 980 STRIX is voltage locked or something? Is there a way of getting around this?

Help is appreciated  :wacko: 

They are voltage locked. You will need to flash a custom bios. You can use one of the many online or create your own. Both options are simple and quick.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, I recently decided to further overclock my graphics card by giving it more voltage instead of just more power target. I currently have it running rock solid stable at 1337 MHz with MSI Afterburner Version 3.0.1.2390

You might think that I should just update it to the latest version anyway but NO please!

The new MSI afterburner looks like complete trash and I would rather stick with this version so if there is anyway to fix my problem please let me know without me having to update.

Problem: I can't unlock the voltage control in the settings! I have checked the "Unlock voltage control" check box and it made no difference, I also tried "Unlock voltage monitoring" and it also made no difference! Why is this?

Is it because the GTX 980 STRIX is voltage locked or something? Is there a way of getting around this?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Posted · Best Answer

They are voltage locked. You will need to flash a custom bios. You can use one of the many online or create your own. Both options are simple and quick.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Ugh, godamn it! alright, thanks for the help

Spoiler

I had this issue with MSI AB 4.1.0 with my TitanX...and the work around was to edit the hardware config file

Step 1: Locate the file 'profiles .\VEN_10DE&DEV_....cfg'

Step 2: Add the following;

[settings]
VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Ugh, godamn it! alright, thanks for the help

If my memory serves me correct, they are locked @1.21v. If that isnt the problem, it is most likely the OC software.

However I am not familiar with the older Afterburner, and unsure if it uses the same settings config.

Also i fried my TitanX with an Over volt/overclock running F@H 24/7 ..so be cautious :)

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

However I am not familiar with the older Afterburner, and unsure if it uses the same settings config.

Also i fried my TitanX with an Over volt/overclock running F@H 24/7 ..so be cautious :)

That is rough!! I never use OC settings for F@H for that very reason. I only ever OC for benchmark points.

That is rough!! I never use OC settings for F@H for that very reason. I only ever OC for benchmark points.

Yep it sucked.  But not all was lost :) ...it was only a few months old and got replaced under warranty. I'm OC'ed again but not OV'ed :)

It was mostly running at 80c+  ..Now it's around 60

Yep it sucked.  But not all was lost :) ...it was only a few months old and got replaced under warranty. I'm OC'ed again but not OV'ed :)

It was mostly running at 80c+  ..Now it's around 60

How does warranty cover over volting? :D

Spoiler

How does warranty cover over volting? :D

Guess they've no way of telling, or didn't have the time/energy to investigate the card.  One of the IC's had a plume of smoke coming from it, and you could tell at a glance that it was fried.

Perhaps it wasn't from over volting, it's only my gut feeling.

Either way I am glad they replaced it  (Gigabyte)