PC problem

PeggersXtreme

Hi guys,

So I bought a x99 Godlike Gaming motherboard a couple days ago to start with I was having posting issues with it not wanting to post but I managed to fix this by clearing the CMOS, however I was having some weird lag issues in insurgency and my FPS were all over the place so I decided to restart my PC but then steam crashed and wouldn't close. So I opened task manager to try close it that way and noticed my PC is using 7gb or ram with nothing open accept steam now to me this is not normal and I don't know the reason for this I am now starting to think the board is faulty as I didn't have any memory issues with my old board.

Any advice please guys?

Thanks

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Hi guys,

So I bought a x99 Godlike Gaming motherboard a couple days ago to start with I was having posting issues with it not wanting to post but I managed to fix this by clearing the CMOS, however I was having some weird lag issues in insurgency and my FPS were all over the place so I decided to restart my PC but then steam crashed and wouldn't close. So I opened task manager to try close it that way and noticed my PC is using 7gb or ram with nothing open accept steam now to me this is not normal and I don't know the reason for this I am now starting to think the board is faulty as I didn't have any memory issues with my old board.

Any advice please guys?

Thanks

Did you do a fresh os install?

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Did you do a fresh os install?

Yep complete fresh install of windows 10 pro

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Does the Motherboard have anything Realtek in it? (Audio/LAN etc)... they are notorious for RAM leaking, try upgrading them.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

What do you mean it's using 7gb with nothing open? Does the task manager show what's using it?

Does the Motherboard have anything Realtek in it? (Audio/LAN etc)... they are notorious for RAM leaking, try upgrading them.

No idea, it has Nahimic Audio and Killer LAN

Custom PC:

What do you mean it's using 7gb with nothing open? Does the task manager show what's using it?

Yeah 7gb on the windows desktop with nothing open accept a minimized steam client.  It was only because of FPS issues in insurgency that brought it to my attention at the moment I am considering returning the motherboard as I have had nothing but issues since it arrived first with the posting issue now with this weird memory issue but all the other parts worked fine in my old board.

Custom PC:

It's gone down a bit to around 6.5gb on idle but this is still high considering on my other PC I don't even hit 8gb whilst playing a game. post-179175-0-23674900-1453591907.jpg

Custom PC:

It doesn't show any processes using weird amounts of memory?

Ok is this more helpful

post-179175-0-82826500-1453592929.jpg

I have checked and there doesn't seems to be anything using excessive memory my memory is also running at 2666mhz for some reason even though in the bios it is set to 2133mhz no idea what is going on which is why the only thing I can think of causing the issue is the new board.

Custom PC:

Hi guys,

Any advice please guys?

Thanks

I know this isn't relevant but wtf how much money do you make? Your computer is on steroids or some shit. Make a ram drive and do Nova Bench on it probably can get in the top 20.

It's gone down a bit to around 6.5gb on idle but this is still high considering on my other PC I don't even hit 8gb whilst playing a game. attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

64 gigs of ram is overkill unless you'll be using at ram drive. So you do that right?

7 gigs is perfectly fine there, windows uses a percentage for itself, I wouldn't be worried about 7 out of 64 gigs.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Roughly said- Windows in idle uses 15-20% of ram. More ram- more usage. If in some moment you have shortage of ram Windows will release some of these 7gigs, but with 64gigs this won't happens...

And it's good idea everyone to remember something- used ram is useful ram, empty ram is useless ram. In fact ram is fastest way to access something- I bet that with 7gigs used in idle PC runs very fast... Problem is ram management, not ram usage.

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Roughly said- Windows in idle uses 15-20% of ram. More ram- more usage. If in some moment you have shortage of ram Windows will release some of these 7gigs, but with 64gigs this won't happens...

And it's good idea everyone to remember something- used ram is useful ram, empty ram is useless ram. In fact ram is fastest way to access something- I bet that with 7gigs used in idle PC runs very fast... Problem is ram management, not ram usage.

I got it down to 3gb by disabling windows 10 tips in the settings.

Custom PC:

I know this isn't relevant but wtf how much money do you make? Your computer is on steroids or some shit. Make a ram drive and do Nova Bench on it probably can get in the top 20.

I use the PC for video editing and gaming I have only ran 3D mark and valley on it so far and it scored in the top 60 on 3d mark but in terms of real life performance rendering is super quick but im not impressed with the gaming performace I get good fps in games like gta v and star wars battlefront but other titles like insurgency and CS:GO i get worse fps than my old AMD 8320 and GTX770 PC with my old pc I use to get 64fps avg on insurgency with my new pc I only get 37 avg I tried disabling SLI and running the test again but it makes no difference I even considered downgrading to the 6700k due to poor performance with the 5960x but it cant be the gpu's or cpu as my performance wad great before i switched to the godlike motherboard.

Custom PC:

I use the PC for video editing and gaming I have only ran 3D mark and valley on it so far and it scored in the top 60 on 3d mark but in terms of real life performance rendering is super quick but im not impressed with the gaming performace I get good fps in games like gta v and star wars battlefront but other titles like insurgency and CS:GO i get worse fps than my old AMD 8320 and GTX770 PC with my old pc I use to get 64fps avg on insurgency with my new pc I only get 37 avg I tried disabling SLI and running the test again but it makes no difference I even considered downgrading to the 6700k due to poor performance with the 5960x but it cant be the gpu's or cpu as my performance wad great before i switched to the godlike motherboard.

This is why I don't buy MSI or ASrock. The not posting could be sign the board itself is faulty.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I even considered downgrading to the 6700k

My new favorite first world problem

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Why did you consider to downgrade to a 6700k? I know games work best on 4 cores and the 6700k has better single-core performance than the i7-5960X but you're taking down so much performance on rendering/video editing and other CPU-dependent workloads. It probably doesn't matter to you but it's also a waste of money. Don't even mess with the CPU for now, just return the motherboard and buy another one because the motherboard is probably faulty.