Hook up LED strips to Molex?

megadarkwood

I have a few LED strips I want to hook up to a molex connector, how do I do this?

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

should come with your LED strip, but I wouldn't recommend it, just makes a huge mess in the back of your system

A good start would be telling us what they're meant to be connected to.

Just something to put in my case

should come with your LED strip, but I wouldn't recommend it, just makes a huge mess in the back of your system

I just found a LED strip roll and want to power it via a molex.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I also want to do that as I can get some for free, They're meant to be connected with + and - (12v) (I will have to solder the cables) Can I get a molex adapter on amazon ? (I thought of posting it here instead of creating something else, sorry if it bothers you megadarkwood).

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

A LED strip is not just a LED strip, what kind of LED strip do you have? How was it originally intended to be powered?

im not 100% sure, I think it is 5v or 12v and it just has 2 connection points, for the red and black wire (not sure what they do lol)

im not 100% sure, I think it is 5v or 12v and it just has 2 connection points, for the red and black wire (not sure what they do lol)

Then it is 12v (unless it says something else anywhere on the strip, near the cutting points) Trust me, I work in a company that sells this.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Two port? Similar to the ones found on 6+2 Pin PCIs?

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Then it is 12v (unless it says something else anywhere on the strip, near the cutting points) Trust me, I work in a company that sells this.

So how would I go about connecting it? The positive to the 12v and the negative to the ground?

So how would I go about connecting it? The positive to the 12v and the negative to the ground?

Like always? I have an LED strip that I use for desk lighting but it would be nice for pictures.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Ok sorry I just figure it out I'm stupid I know how to do this... You're gonna need soldering iron and something to heat it (search on google about soldering electronics if you doN,t know what I mean or if you never done it) Cut the cables of the molex connector to take off the plastic piece (Or maybe buy an other molex connector on Amazon if you don't want to ruin your PSU cables.) Search on google (again) wich cable is the ground one (usually black) and wich one is the 12V (Maybe red or something else) then solder them to the strip according to the indications on the strip (near the cutting points, it's not on all of them however) I would recommend covering it in electric tape to make sure it doesn't touch anything else. You can add cables to add lenght between the molex connector and the strip but it may be messy if you never donne that and look ghetto. 

+12VDC is the  Yellow wire as I remember from some of my adventures when i was 8 and COM is the Black wire

Ok sorry I just figure it out I'm stupid I know how to do this... You're gonna need soldering iron and something to heat it (search on google about soldering electronics if you doN,t know what I mean or if you never done it) Cut the cables of the molex connector to take off the plastic piece (Or maybe buy an other molex connector on Amazon if you don't want to ruin your PSU cables.) Search on google (again) wich cable is the ground one (usually black) and wich one is the 12V (Maybe red or something else) then solder them to the strip according to the indications on the strip (near the cutting points, it's not on all of them however) I would recommend covering it in electric tape to make sure it doesn't touch anything else. You can add cables to add lenght between the molex connector and the strip but it may be messy if you never donne that and look ghetto. 

I know how to use a soldering iron and I will try it tomorrow. Will let everyone know how it goes.

I know how to use a soldering iron and I will try it tomorrow. Will let everyone know how it goes.

do you know the properway to do it? Like cleaning the wires with flux and then tinning the leads and then you solder them together while they overlap by 11/16th of an inch? If not, you do now.

do you know the properway to do it? Like cleaning the wires with flux and then tinning the leads and then you solder them together while they overlap by 11/16th of an inch? If not, you do now.

Well, I know how to solder.

This thread...

here lets me pretty much paraphrase it

"I have an LED strip. It has some connector. It's an LED strip. LED. Strip. Help"

Pictures are worth a thousand words

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

This thread...

here lets me pretty much paraphrase it

"I have an LED strip. It has some connector. It's an LED strip. LED. Strip. Help"

Pictures are worth a thousand words

Unfortunately I can't post pictures right now. Or else I would

Unfortunately I can't post pictures right now. Or else I would

Then wait till tomorrow to update us on this topic. Those in favor for a hold to this topic?

I've soldered many LED strips in my life and I assure you I don't know what you're talking about with this overlap.

I would just get some random molex powered whatever for cheap, cut it of and solder the leads from the LEDs to a black (-) and yellow (+12) lead from the molex.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

It would be nice to know the ratings on the LEDs, only then can we help you and some LEDs require less power than others and connecting them to the incorrect voltages could damage them.

It would be nice to know the ratings on the LEDs, only then can we help you and some LEDs require less power than others and connecting them to the incorrect voltages could damage them.

I will check when I get back from school.

I've soldered many LED strips in my life and I assure you I don't know what you're talking about with this overlap.

it's a better connection to place the leads overlapping then to pig-tail them together to solder.

it's a better connection to place the leads overlapping then to pig-tail them together to solder.

I don't understand but w/e, I never had problems with my soldering. I have the feeling that this is what I do, I just didn't learn the terms.