Windows 7 4TB HDD

Kooldown

Hello all. A couple months back, I purchased a 4TB HDD by Western Digital. I installed a fresh copy of Windows on it, and I was relatively satisfied with the with the speeds, even though I had just moved away from an SSD boot drive.

I have MANY games, music, videos, photos, etc. which is why I got a massive HDD to accommodate that.

However, there is one thing that I saw that bothers me.

Having paid a lot more money for a 4TB HDD, I only have access to 2TB of storage. Now, my question is this:

Is there a way I can access the extra 2TB of data (that I paid for) without wiping and re installing my hard drive? I do not want to do any registry edits or anything too advanced unless I have a very understandable tutorial.

I have seen this link before: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408 and I don't understand it. I do not get prompted to initialize a disk or anything like that. It seems like the only way would be to totally wipe the HDD.

post-38764-0-21602200-1378335043.png

post-38764-0-64756300-1378335047.png

PC Specs

PC Specs - CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X @ 3.5 GHz CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Graphics Card: x2 NVidia Geforce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Editions Watercooled by Corsair HG10 N780s w/ Corsair H90s Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/ 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM HDD  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79  PSU: NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W Audio: Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Bamboo Amplifier w/ Mayflower Electronics ODAC & Mayflower Electronics Modified Fostex T50RP Headphones V3 w/ Antlion Mod Mic Case: Fractal Design Define R5 OS: Windows 7 Professional Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical w/ Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad Keyboard: Camo Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless  w/ Cherry MX Black switches w/ Custom Keycaps Monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p 1ms response time 144hz + 2 other monitors

Just format it, it should be fine from there.

How would I do that  without losing everything I already have? Wiping the HDD isn't an option because I don't have my Windows 7 install discs.

PC Specs

PC Specs - CPU: Intel Core i7 3970X @ 3.5 GHz CPU Cooler: Swiftech H240-X Graphics Card: x2 NVidia Geforce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Editions Watercooled by Corsair HG10 N780s w/ Corsair H90s Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/ 1TB WD Blue HDD 7200 RPM HDD  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79  PSU: NZXT HALE90 V2 NP-1GM-1200A 1200W Audio: Mayflower Electronics Objective2 Bamboo Amplifier w/ Mayflower Electronics ODAC & Mayflower Electronics Modified Fostex T50RP Headphones V3 w/ Antlion Mod Mic Case: Fractal Design Define R5 OS: Windows 7 Professional Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical w/ Razer Goliathus Extended Mouse Pad Keyboard: Camo Filco Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless  w/ Cherry MX Black switches w/ Custom Keycaps Monitor: Asus ROG Swift 27" 1440p 1ms response time 144hz + 2 other monitors

Just format it, it should be fine from there.

Why can't he just right click the C partition and expand volume?

Will combine the un-allocated into the C partition so he can use the space.

Which is what he wants right?

Or am I missing something here  :huh:

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Why can't he just right click the C partition and expand volume?

Will combine the un-allocated into the C partition.

Which is what he wants right?

I would do this, but I am cautious. Why would the link I provided in the OP be so complicated when all I could do is just expand the volume?

Is there any risk in doing this?

PC Specs

I would do this, but I am cautious. Why would the link I provided in the OP be so complicated when all I could do is just expand the volume?

To be honest, I have no clue, I've only ever done it for a 2TB drive and below.

That link...is so confusing o_o

Something to do with there is a 2TB limit on something....

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

To be honest, I have no clue, I've only ever done it for a 2TB drive and below.

And why would doing it on a 4TB be any different? Is it not the same process?

PC Specs

There is no risk in expanding the volume. Literally nothing will happen aside from you getting more space in this situation.

I expanded my 1TB HDD when only 700GB of it was formated using the other 300GB. It lost none of my files on the other 700GB at all. 

A 4TB should be no different. 

If it really bothers you, you could just format that extra space and have it be a separate partition.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

And why would doing it on a 4TB be any different? Is it not the same process?

According to that link...it is for some reason, something to do with 2TB is a limit to 32bit, and you would need 33bit to get higher or something.

Can't really make sense of what is said there lol

Try downloading

http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-Partition-Wizard-Home-Edition/3000-2094_4-10962200.html

The built in program is completely hopeless in windows, This should allow you to merge them, make sure you click apply in the top right corner otherwise you end up scratching your head as to why it did nothing. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I'm not sure if there is any risk, however if you format the unallocated 1.6TB it won't affect your OS as it's not currently formatted. If the drive were to be formatted it would look something like the following:

4jera.png

From what I can see of the image you have provided you have not formatted the second partition, doing so will allow you to gain access to it.

Thing is guys, the link he provided is saying its impossible to have a 4TB drive the normal way.  Something to do with GPT or something and that a full wipe is neccacary after changing it to GPT or something....

There is no risk in expanding the volume. Literally nothing will happen aside from you getting more space in this situation.

I expanded my 1TB HDD when only 700GB of it was formated using the other 300GB. It lost none of my files on the other 700GB at all. 

A 4TB should be no different. 

If it really bothers you, you could just format that extra space and have it be a separate partition.

So then all I have to do is increase the the size in MB to increase the amount of space?

post-38764-0-96253900-1378336225.png

PC Specs

So then all I have to do is increase the the size in MB to increase the amount of space?

Yes that is what the extended does, just click extend volume, next, next, you don't need to change anything since the max size available is already put in and it SHOULD put that extra space into the C drive so you can use all the space.

But after doing some small research on this whole 2TB+ thing, it says you can't without setting the drive up in in that way first o_o

I take no responsibility for what happens >.<

I see no reason it wouldn't work though it just seems silly that it wouldnt o_o

Thing is guys, the link he provided is saying its impossible to have a 4TB drive the normal way.  Something to do with GPT or something and that a full wipe is neccacary after changing it to GPT or something....

Yes, I just feel like this is way too simple of a solution... If it was this easy, why would Microsoft provide that tutorial?

PC Specs

Yes, I just feel like this is way too simple of a solution... If it was this easy, why would Microsoft provide that tutorial?

Yeh...it is that simple for 2TB and below but that link just looks fishy....

Yes that is what the extended does, just click extend volume, next, next, you don't need to change anything since the max size available is already put in and it SHOULD put that extra space into the C drive so you can use all the space.

But after doing some small research on this whole 2TB+ thing, it says you can't without setting the drive up in in that way first o_o

I take no responsibility for what happens >.<

I see no reason it wouldn't work though it just seems silly that it wouldnt o_o

You are right. It has to be setup that way first.

Just format the rest of the drive as another partition. It is not that bad.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Just format the rest of the drive as another partition. It is not that bad.

I think this would be the safest option, you can always combine them into one when you need to re-install windows later on or if you eventually get a SSD and turn the 4TB into a storage drive or something.  You don't want to risk messing up your OS install and loosing all your files somehow.

Just format that partition, click on Create new volume and next next next etc and it will pop up as a new drive and you can do whatever you want on it.

I think this would be the safest option, you can always combine them into one when you need to re-install windows later on or if you eventually get a SSD and turn the 4TB into a storage drive or something.  You don't want to risk messing up your OS install and loosing all your files somehow.

Just format that partition, click on Create new volume and next next next etc and it will pop up as a new drive and you can do whatever you want on it.

But then this option just sounds like the whole SSD nightmare all over again. I can save whatever I want to the new partition but ultimately all of the data will go to the partition that has the OS installed on it. 

I have an extra 2TB HDD laying around. If I try to raid my 4TB HDD with my 2TB HDD will I then essentially have just 1 drive with 6TB of storage? Or would I have to go through the whole GPT process?

PC Specs

Just format the remaining space into a new partition

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking