Comcast and Verizon Throttling YouTube and Netflix Usage While RCN Lets it Flow

EChondo

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/09/sorry-comcast-and-verizon-customers-rcn-delivers-faster-netflix/

ISPs refusing to upgrade peering connections to relieve congestion and ISPs refusing to take YouTube owner Google and Netflix up on their offers of free caching equipment that puts video content closer to the last mile. To a cynical eye, it looks like ISPs either want money from Google and Netflix or want to degrade Google and Netflix quality to drive users to their own services.

But there are exceptions, mostly among small ISPs. RCN, a regional provider in Chicago, Boston, New York, Washington, DC, and parts of Pennsylvania, took Netflix up on its offer (called Open Connect), and its decision is justified by the data. Netflix has published its first regional speed index, just for the Boston area, and it showed that "the average speeds for Netflix streams on the RCN network in Boston outperformed other Internet Service Providers (ISPs) by as much as 70 percent. This means that those Netflix members who were also RCN customers enjoyed better picture quality, quicker access to their favorite TV shows and movies, and more reliable playback delivered via the Internet from Netflix, especially during peak viewing hours."

In the second quarter, RCN's cable service out-performed Charter, Verizon FiOS, Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Fairpoint, and Verizon DSL. None of the companies RCN beat are publicly known to be Open Connect users. Time Warner in particular has made it known that it wants nothing to do with Netflix's caching service.

We need some serious competition, that or someone to go around and slap every major ISP executive upside the head. 

I have comcast :(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I... I hate it when people do this. At least publicly give a good reason why.

Ugh. If there is no good reason, the ISP people need to be fired. Seriously.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I... I hate it when people do this. At least publicly give a good reason why.

Ugh. If there is no good reason, the ISP people need to be fired. Seriously.

They do this because its THEIR bandwidth, not yours. Don't like it? Switch to a different ISP, oh wait, there's only satellite! I guess you have to stay with Verizon then!

They do this because there is no competition, we need more services like Google Fiber so the major ISP's would get off their asses and do something for once.

I have comcast :(

i feel your pain, i have it too but there is no other high speed competition where I'm at. F*ck Comcrap!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

But you're Swedish? :P

1. Finland icon :3

2. Sadly american :c

i feel your pain, i have it too but there is no other high speed competition where I'm at. F*ck Comcrap!

*internet hugs*

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I can download most files at 10mb/s+ but when rendering a 720p 2 hour long video, a.k.a. missed wan show livestream, it struggles.  DAMMIT COMCAST

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

google fiber needs to growth faster

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

google fiber needs to growth faster

It is not going everywhere. Google has already said that is not their goal. Their goal was to push the limits and push the ISP's to do something.

I suppose if the ISP's do not do anything, Google could very well become an ISP. That'd be sweet.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It is not going everywhere. Google has already said that is not their goal. Their goal was to push the limits and push the ISP's to do something.

I suppose if the ISP's do not do anything, Google could very well become an ISP. That'd be sweet.

Go, Google, Go!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we need google fiber in the UK >_> 400KB/s v 40KB/s ^ anyone?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

In response to what Slick just said in the WAN show just a bit ago, Netflix Open Connect is by no means free for ISPs. For one, ISPs will have to pay their network engineers to figure out how to implement Netflix's servers into their network. Next, they have to purchase new racks (if they don't have enough space already) and run a ton of cables in various COs and interconnects to support the new equipment. This is not cheap; more equipment and cables means more switches are required. Look up the cost top-tier Cisco backbone switches, they are not cheap. Finally, the ISPs will have to pay power and cooling costs for not only the new switches, but Netflix's servers as well. This is literally Netflix trying to get ISPs to host their servers across the country instead of building their own datacenters and peering with a network provider that isn't terrible (Cognet; look up the Netflix-Cognet fiasco that has been going on with ISPs for the past while).

The only reason RCN took this on is because they are a smaller ISP. They did this for marketing. How many people have never heard of RCN until now? I bet quite a few of you. Well, now you do, and if you move into an RCN covered area, you're more likely to pick RCN over its competition.

On the surface, this looks like ISPs are turning down something that is completely free that would help their customers. Once you dig deeper, this is actually really complicated for ISPs to implement. It is by no means free. 

This is why I support the idea of local ISPs that have access to fiber. The main ISPs are horrid monopolies in their regions and they could careless about the customer.

panduh 4mad

This is why I support the idea of local ISPs that have access to fiber. The main ISPs are horrid monopolies in their regions and they could careless about the customer.

*lives in a region where only CenturyLink (formerly Embarq) offers internet*

*agrees with you*

† Christian Member †

Sort of sad that ISPs are throttling these. Probably its because they don't want to upgrade their stuff in order to provide everyone fast and stable Internet. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

They do this because its THEIR bandwidth, not yours. Don't like it? Switch to a different ISP, oh wait, there's only satellite! I guess you have to stay with Verizon then!

They do this because there is no competition, we need more services like Google Fiber so the major ISP's would get off their asses and do something for once.

implying they would :/ they'd probably just spend billions of dollars on advertisements about how fiber optic cable gives you brain cancer and kills family members before they actually changed :/

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089