Fractal Design Node 202 Water Cooling?

It would be cool to see someone try to mod the Fractal Design Node 202 for full water cooling. Would it be possible, taller feet with slim rad on bottom? Give your ideas.

CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 7800X3D  Mobo: ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi   RAM: 32 GB(2x16GB) G.Skill Flare X6 EXPO@ 6000MHz  GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Edition AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini  PSU: Corsair RM1000e  SSD: Team Group MP34 4TB PCIe 4 NVME, Mushkin REACTOR 960GB, Patriot Torch LE 960GB  Cooling: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (PS120SE) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonau & 9x Thermalright TL-C12 PRO 120mm

It would be cool to see someone try to mod the Fractal Design Node 202 for full water cooling. Would it be possible, taller feet with slim rad on bottom? Give your ideas.

id probably drill holes on the bottom and top. and have like 120mm rads on either side. (one for cpu and one for gpu)

and have it stand using the bracket thigny

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Pointless. You would still need to get rid of the heat from that case and since it's so small it makes no difference if it's water cooled or air cooled, you still will be unable to fit in powerful components.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Pointless. You would still need to get rid of the heat from that case and since it's so small it makes no difference if it's water cooled or air cooled, you still will be unable to fit in powerful components.

external rads M8

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

external rads M8

oh with external rads you could cool anything, but that's ugly. m8.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

ik. and kinda gets rid of the point of the case

Maybe cut holes on the bottom where the gpu is and mount it with 2 fans under the gpu.

CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 7800X3D  Mobo: ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi   RAM: 32 GB(2x16GB) G.Skill Flare X6 EXPO@ 6000MHz  GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Edition AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini  PSU: Corsair RM1000e  SSD: Team Group MP34 4TB PCIe 4 NVME, Mushkin REACTOR 960GB, Patriot Torch LE 960GB  Cooling: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (PS120SE) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonau & 9x Thermalright TL-C12 PRO 120mm

That's my compute server.  mATX case with a 480 rad that's about 5" thick with the fans.  The only way to fit that rad internally would have been to buy something ridiculous like a Caselabs super tower.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

You could drill mounting holes then mount the radiator outside the case on the back maybe?

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

• 3 months later...

Shouldn't Corsair's H5 SF Low-Profile Liquid CPU Cooler fir the node? Though I'd flip it, so the fan faces the intake.

dcwr5i.jpg

2gv7khd.jpg

4io6bk.jpg

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

1 thing is for sure, there is no room inside the case for radiators, unless you skip the GPU and go for a CPU with built in GPU.

4.JPG

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

3 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

snip

There's always the short nano cards, as seen in AwesomeSauce's Node 202 watercooling video:

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

There's always the short nano cards, as seen in AwesomeSauce's Node 202 watercooling video:

Yeah, but 1x 120mm wont be enough for GPU and CPU.

17 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Yeah, but 1x 120mm wont be enough for GPU and CPU.

Hmmm, you're right, didn't notice the first comment mentioning "full" watercooling. Still though, I'm curious whether Corsair's Bulldog cooler will fit the node, it'd make a way cleaner solution than cutting up the case, like Kyle did.

Another possible solution that'll keep everything on the inside, is using the bulldog to cool the CPU, and using something like this for the GPU, albeit again you'll have to get a Nano card to fit the single-fan heatsink next to it.

24oxa3q.jpg

4 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Hmmm, you're right, didn't notice the first comment mentioning "full" watercooling. Still though, I'm curious whether Corsair's Bulldog cooler will fit the node, it'd make a way cleaner solution than cutting up the case, like Kyle did.

Or just use an EK Predator, since you can take it apart easily.

But, it still dont solve the space issue.

10 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Or just use an EK Predator, since you can take it apart easily.

But, it still dont solve the space issue.

Check my comment, I was editing the post when u replied. My idea would still result in two separate loops however, not a single big one, though I suppose you could ghetto merge the looks using Kyle's method.

The only cards you could use would the the Fury X (maybe) and/or Fury Nano. (and some of the low-end Nvidia cards, like the 950, if I remember correctly those are pretty short too.

2 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

Check my comment, I was editing the post when u replied. It would still result in two separate looks however, not a single big one, though I suppose you could ghetto merge the looks using Kyle's method.

A single slot GPU like the Nano, would allow for space under it (25mm from fan + space of the 2nd pci slot).

So that means we can fit a slim radiator there and with fans on the outside, so do we just need to figure out the rest.

3 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

A single slot GPU like the Nano, would allow for space under it (25mm from fan + space of the 2nd pci slot).

So that means we can fit a slim radiator there and with fans on the outside, so do we just need to figure out the rest.

We dont even need a fan on the outside. We use what Kyle did (Radiator & Fan next to the nano) to cool the nano, and then the low profile liquid cooler to cool the CPU.

It's two loops, but still, both the GPU and CPU would be watercooled.

We can then probably do some ghetto modding, disconnect and drain both loops, and merge them into a single one, though one wonders how effective that'd be.

4 minutes ago, ElfenSky said:

We dont even need a fan on the outside. We use what Kyle did (Radiator & Fan next to the nano) to cool the nano, and then the low profile liquid cooler to cool the CPU.

It's two loops, but still, both the GPU and CPU would be watercooled.

We can then probably do some ghetto modding, disconnect and drain both loops, and merge them into a single one, though one wonders how effective that'd be.

With a single slot nano, so can we get 240mm radiator into there, if not more.

We even have space for a slim DDC pump, mounted to the radiator.

The cable space besides the PSU, can probably hold a 100mm reservoir.

Meaning that we have a full custom loop into it, in theory.

1 minute ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

With a single slot nano, so can we get 240mm radiator into there, if not more.

We even have space for a slim DDC pump, mounted to the radiator.

The cable space besides the PSU, can probably hold a 100mm reservoir.

Meaning that we have a full custom loop into it, in theory.

Fair enough, but to me, the point would (of the question, and personally as well) would be to keep everything on the inside, and keep the "stock" look of the 202, keeping it tall and thin, without adding stuff to it.

1 minute ago, ElfenSky said:

Fair enough, but to me, the point would (of the question, and personally as well) would be to keep everything on the inside, and keep the "stock" look of the 202, keeping it tall and thin, without adding stuff to it.

The only thing added, with my setup, is 2 fans on the outside.

I would says its the smallest change you can make to the case, if you want a full custom loop in it.

You might even be able to get the fans into the case, if you find a radiator and fan type that is slim enough.

If you can get a different case, snag a core 500. That will make your life supremely easier in watercooling a mini itx setup

• 8 months later...

You could if you did a full loop. Adding a gpu water block would make it virtually single slot card, giving enough room for a slim 240 radiator and slim fans still with several mm of clearance to allow air to get to the rad. For the CPU, a great choice would be a water block and pump combo but a small pump to put near the power supply may work. A reservoir may be hard so a T line might work best, but if you can, a reservoir makes filling and bleeding much easier.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 3:26 PM, Dmonster said:

You could if you did a full loop. Adding a gpu water block would make it virtually single slot card, giving enough room for a slim 240 radiator and slim fans still with several mm of clearance to allow air to get to the rad. For the CPU, a great choice would be a water block and pump combo but a small pump to put near the power supply may work. A reservoir may be hard so a T line might work best, but if you can, a reservoir makes filling and bleeding much easier.

Have you seen anyone try this? I'm just wondering what combination of slim radiator and SP fans would fit in the space left with a single slot width freed up. I have this case and would love to try this out.