Microsoft May Only Be Supporting the Xbox 360 for Only 3 More Years

EChondo

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/09/microsoft-xbox-360-support-to-go-for-another-three-years/

The next generation of Microsoft game hardware is coming to North America on November 22, but that doesn't mean the last generation will be immediately forgotten. Speaking at the Citi Global Technology Conference yesterday (via Eurogamer), Xbox Marketing and Strategy Chief Yusuf Mehdi said the Xbox 360 "is going to go for another three years."

While it's not clear from the statement exactly what it would mean for the system to "go" for that long (is that when systems will stop rolling off production lines? When games stop being made? When Xbox Live shuts off for the old system?), Mehdi said that Microsoft plans to fully support the Xbox 360 for the time being.

"We're going to continue to invest in the Xbox 360 and the two devices can work in concert," Mehdi said later. "It's not like the day we ship the Xbox One your 360 won't work; we'll continue to support it. In fact, we're going to ship over 100 new games on Xbox 360. So you'll still be able to play your [older] games, just not on the same exact box."

Mehdi's statements would take Microsoft's Xbox 360 support well into 2016,

Well, at least we will get at least 10 years of support. Hopefully it won't take this long for this next generation, we should be getting new consoles every 5-7 years, not 10+. 

It surprised me that they are offering this level of support at all. 

Well Microsoft discontinued online Xbox Live for the Original Xbox back in April 2010. That is a whole 5 years or so after the Xbox 360 came out.

I'm surprised it is this low of years. I was thinking 2017-2018 at least.

I thought it seemed like way to long but after thinking about the install base I guess it sounds about right if its indeed true.

Well Microsoft discontinued online Xbox Live for the Original Xbox back in April 2010. That is a whole 5 years or so after the Xbox 360 came out.

I'm surprised it is this low of years. I was thinking 2017-2018 at least.

I just assumed they would push hard to get people to move to the Xbone. 

I just assumed they would push hard to get people to move to the Xbone.

Yeah I was contemplating that too. That's why I'm afraid of an always online console, they could have rendered the Xbone useless and you had to upgrade to the Xbox Two.

Hate the idea of that.