Still dont get algebra

Overkilled

So I still dont get factorising (quadratics) simplifying and expanding brackets. Its one of those thinks I think I understand in school but when I go home I'm helpless. We haven't done it in a while but its coming up on my assessment.

Can you help me?

You mean something along the lines of ( a+b )^2=(a^2+2ab+b^2) ?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

me too bro I hate algebra  

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

living in the 21st century is amazing, you can litterly learn anything on youtube, i don't even know why schools exsist anymore... I've been to visit my old School they basically show youtube clips during the calsses...

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Damn I love algebra, once you get it, its easy

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

its basicly mathematical rules that people way smarter than us plebs have invented to make our lives easier because we can just memorise them, instead of needing to math it out entirely.

Two things I hate in algebra the rest is fine:

Matrices

"Completing the square"

Shipping sucks

i don't even know why schools exsist anymore... 

because there is *A LOT* of false information out there...

anyways, if you like to dive a bit deeper in math, numberphile is a nice youtube channel to look at.

living in the 21st century is amazing, you can litterly learn anything on youtube, i don't even know why schools exsist anymore... I've been to visit my old School they basically show youtube clips during the calsses...

I know! I have thought my self so much over the years from Youtube. I love it. you have a question or are stuck on something/anything Youtube can help you solve it

Two things I hate in algebra the rest is fine:

Matrices

"Completing the square"

dear student, math here, i lost X again, could you find it for me?

dear math, accept X is gona and move on with your life.

Haha, that is what we are doing school right now.  Expanding brackets is simple.  

Example:

3(4x + 6)-7

= (3 x 4x) + (3 x 6) -7

= 12x + 18 - 7

= 18 - 7 

= 11

A= 12x + 11 

It is quite hard to do typing than on paper.  :P

think of it as the 1 AM method

1        A        M

x^2 + 5x + 6

if there is not number next to X, you can do this:

(x  )( x  )

then find what multiplies t 6 (the m) and what adds to 5 (the a)

in this case its positive 2 and 3

(x + 2)(x + 3)

next set either equal to zero

x + 2 = 0

x = -2

x + 3 = 0

x = -3

now lets look at another one

x^2 + -13 + -30

setup first

(x  )(x  )

now find what multiplies to -30 and adds to -13, -15 and 2

(x - 13)(x + 2)

and time for the answers

x - 13 = 0

x = 13

x + 2 = 0

x = -2

done!

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

anyways, if you like to dive a bit deeper in math, numberphile is a nice youtube channel to look at.

Schools have old text books and feed all kinds of "false" information to students.

It's honestly no better than YouTube.

And actually. Most teachers get their courses and their plans from online or YouTube and just mimic the plan...

God damn I'm glad I'm in Geometry.
Although I have Algebra II next year....

;_;

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I'm with you bro. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

its basicly mathematical rules that people way smarter than us plebs have invented to make our lives easier because we can just memorise them, instead of needing to math it out entirely.

dear student, math here, i lost X again, could you find it for me?

dear math, accept X is gona and move on with your life.

*Maths

Math is for Merican plebs :D

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

3 important things to know about quadratics.

Setting everything to zero, combine like terms, and the FOIL method.

I understand foil

well yeah but teachers litteraly show youtube videos during class it's quite funny actually.

not saying it's bad, on countrary that's good it keeps the attenion of kids, but that just shows how out of touch the ministry of eduacation is and that the education system is just whack...

numberphile is great, but I don't think they cover any "School maths", they usually do the hard stuff

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

I've been to visit my old School they basically show youtube clips during the calsses...

Yeah, our social studies classes are like that.  We are currently watching conspiracy theories on 9/11 and stuff like that.  Our teacher really doesn't give 2 shits and we just watch videos for like ½ of the lesson then take down some notes and ask questions and answer a few questions (like 2-6, sometimes more but very rarely).  Loads of kids at our school take it for an esay way to get an A since it is so easy.  I was thinking the same but jobs are now seeing that as a slacker way out and treat it like a C so I ain't going that road.  

Well, that got out of hand quickly.  I just wouldn't trust YouTube fully, the best thing I believe is a professor for a very obvious reason.  You know, like ones in universities and colleges.  My second option is obviously the internet, on trusted sources.

Yeah, our social studies classes are like that.  We are currently watching conspiracy theories on 9/11 and stuff like that.  Our teacher really doesn't give 2 shits and we just watch videos for like ½ of the lesson then take down some notes and ask questions and answer a few questions (like 2-6, sometimes more but very rarely).  Loads of kids at our school take it for an esay way to get an A since it is so easy.  I was thinking the same but jobs are now seeing that as a slacker way out and treat it like a C so I ain't going that road.  

Well, that got out of hand quickly.  I just wouldn't trust YouTube fully, the best thing I believe is a professor for a very obvious reason.  You know, like ones in universities and colleges.  My second option is obviously the internet, on trusted sources.

yeah, no the university classes with professors are chill I was talking about like middle School where you have 14~15 year olds with a teacher, I was visiting that kind of school

Go back to your teacher and ask them to explain it to you. Occasionally, that's the best way to do things.

Go back to your teacher and ask them to explain it to you. Occasionally, that's the best way to do things.

Yes, that is the best way to go, that or your teacher is an absolute lazy bitch/bastard.  Those are the worst kind of teachers. 

Factorising and Solving Quadratics (I thought I'd help you out), @Overkilled

Let's get an example - for example,

x2 + 5x = -6

First Step: Make it equal Zero

So to do this, all we have to do is put the -6 on the other side, making it a +6

x2 + 5x + 6 = 0

Second Step (the complicated one): Find numbers which multiply to make the coefficiant of x and multiply to make the lone number. The coefficient of x if the number before x.

Combine to make: +5

Multiply to make:   +6

Let's write out all of the integer (whole number) mlultiples of 6:

+1 and +6

+2 and +3

-1 and -6

-2 and -3

Ruling out the ones that don't add to make +5, you get 2 and 3.

Step 3: Write it into your equation (yes, it's as simple as that)

(x + 2) (x + 3) = 0

That's your Quadratic Factorised! Now for solving.

Step 4: Solve the Quadratic.

Since the product of the two brackets equals zero, one of them must equal zero. The only way you can actually get zero from multiplication is by multiplying by zero.

So, therefore.

• If the first bracket, x + 2 equals zero, x + 2 = 0. Meaning that with a small rearrangement, x = -2
  • If the second bracket is the case then  x + 3 = 0. Rearranging it will lead to x = -3

We write this as:

x = -2 or -3

Now, try this yourself.

x2 + 4x - 12 = 0

Factorised, this quadratic is

(x+6) (x-2) = 0

Because of multiples 6 and -2, the product of which is -12 and the sum of which is +4

The solution of the quadratic is

x=-6 or x=+2

Algebra is useless. Take physics, economics, electronics or something. The kind of math is more practical to what you actually use in life.