why did my ekwb rad come with a giant Allen wrench

so i know the screws use an allen wrench pattern but i just got my ekwb rad in the mail and it came with a massive allen wrench. What is it used for or was it just a mistake that they sent this big of one?

post-116840-0-95953900-1453405875_thumb.

thanks

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Rofl what?

I'm pretty sure that's got to be a mistake, unless you ordered some kind of kit w/ mounting or something... but even still that's a huge freaking allen wrench, I've never seen a bit that large used in a computer setup, except on some extreme cooling solutions

The fittings they use to cover the ports requires a allen key to remove

Interesting, had not known that ekwb used that size of bits

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

The fittings they use to cover the ports requires a allen key to remove

the fittings mine came with were just plastic push in fittings

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Rofl what?

I'm pretty sure that's got to be a mistake, unless you ordered some kind of kit w/ mounting or something... but even still that's a huge freaking allen wrench, I've never seen a bit that large used in a computer setup, except on some extreme cooling solutions

i know its like half an inch in diameter wtf

so i know the screws use an allen wrench pattern but i just got my ekwb rad in the mail and it came with a massive allen wrench. What is it used for or was it just a mistake that they sent this big of one?

attachicon.gifIMG_4397.JPG

thanks

this

in almost every package from ekwb is an allen wrench, ive even got one in my gpu backplate  :blink:

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

ya i dont have that anywhere on my rads

i know its like half an inch in diameter wtf

take it as a friendly joke

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Huh, I always thought those were called "hex wrenches" or something like that

*themoreyouknow*

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

thanks

Usually it's either for the caps if you have caps that have hex sockets on them or for installing fittings, their fittings are broached with an allen key to let you properly tighten the fittings:

ACF-Fitting-13-19-Allen-Key_1200.jpg

Usually it's either for the caps if you have caps that have hex sockets on them or for installing fittings, their fittings are broached with an allen key to let you properly tighten the fittings:

i know some of their older rads have fill ports with the big allen wrench so they may have mixed it up by mistake 

Send it back with a letter demanding that you get your $0.05 back.  And make sure you tell them that you don't appreciate the implication that you need to get screwed that badly.  Do this for the lulz.

Laws only govern the honest.

i know some of their older rads have fill ports with the big allen wrench so they may have mixed it up by mistake 

Well I guess an extra piece to add to the tool box.  :P

Well I guess an extra piece to add to the tool box.  :P

ya ill add it to the collection probably work on some car parts or something

Huh, I always thought those were called "hex wrenches" or something like that

They were originally invented and manufactured by Allen Manufacturing.

As all things goes, if there's an original version, there is a knock-off version. Thats where the words hex keys come from, so there are no legal issues.

They are usually tiny so I hear them called Keys more than wrenches.

pretty sure they're just covering their bases in case you are also using their fittings like W-L posted, they are kinda difficult to get tight without one.  Its easier to send keys out with the more expensive products rather than with the actual single fittings themselves 

edit: i forgot it also goes into the ports before you put fittings in them.  I forget why but I believe you can remove that outset portion 

post-196315-0-44354400-1453423049.png

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

Yea... Every package from ek has at least one Allen wrench. I think I have like 15 of them this far no joke.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

thanks

This big allen key is to remove the black socket extenders where your ports are.  

This is due to the fact that the radiator shroud is removable if you would like to paint it or something like that.  To remove the bottom plate you would need to first remove the socket extenders.  This tool would then be required.

Also on the XE rads, you have 2 extra ports on the other side.  If you were to want to use these ports, you would need to secure a socket extender there too.  Then the tool would be used again.

When I say socket extender, it's these : https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-extender-g1-4-socket-black

So basically, if you only use your rad in the original setup it comes and don't dismantle anything, this tool will never be used. ;)

This big allen key is to remove the black socket extenders where your ports are.  

This is due to the fact that the radiator shroud is removable if you would like to paint it or something like that.  To remove the bottom plate you would need to first remove the socket extenders.  This tool would then be required.

Also on the XE rads, you have 2 extra ports on the other side.  If you were to want to use these ports, you would need to secure a socket extender there too.  Then the tool would be used again.

When I say socket extender, it's these : https://shop.ekwb.com/ek-extender-g1-4-socket-black

So basically, if you only use your rad in the original setup it comes and don't dismantle anything, this tool will never be used. ;)

oh that makes sense thanks that might be help full for my next build where i have to coat the inside of the radiator with something