"RedCluster" My personal AMD gaming rig (SOON)

so, with the recent "shytestürm" around amd fx i set out to do some testing, and contacted the guy with the most overkill amd system i know:

FX9590, 2x r9 295x2

we both did 7zip's built in benchmark to look at pure numbercrunching in a real world scenario, here's the results for both sides of the argument to chew on and stuff their faces so this guy can have his build log thread back:

7zip is multi-threaded, FX is somewhat decent at multi-threaded loads...GAMING are NOT multi-threaded and they rely on SINGLE_THREAD. :D

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Someone here is right, and someone is wrong. But more importantly.... someone seems like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, and someone else seems like a complete and total asshat who is probably 12 years old (or at least only that mature as he goes around calling people "son".).

My point is... regardless of who is right or wrong most sane people will view the way someone is acting as a good indication of how reliable their information is. By acting like a twat you make yourself look like an idiot and basically discredit everything you say yourself.

Also this spam is painful to read. Please clean up your act and try to stay on topic or at least not be a total dickweed.

7zip is multi-threaded, FX is somewhat decent at multi-threaded loads...GAMING are NOT multi-threaded and they rely on SINGLE_THREAD. :D

that is getting very outdated very fast, since a lot of games are getting quad core support (and up!) and theres only a very small amount of games where the pure single threaded crunching is a problem like it was on for example flight simulator X.

Someone here is right, and someone is wrong. But more importantly.... someone seems like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, and someone else seems like a complete and total asshat who is probably 12 years old (or at least only that mature as he goes around calling people "son".).

My point is... regardless of who is right or wrong most sane people will view the way someone is acting as a good indication of how reliable their information is. By acting like a twat you make yourself look like an idiot and basically discredit everything you say yourself.

Also this spam is painful to read. Please clean up your act and try to stay on topic or at least not be a total dickweed.

Couldn't of said it better, best use the option the forum has for such instances so the mods can clean up this shit fest.

that is getting very outdated very fast, since a lot of games are getting quad core support (and up!) and theres only a very small amount of games where the pure single threaded crunching is a problem like it was on for example flight simulator X.

Yep.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

gaming performance still rely on fast and strong CPU cores whether you like it or not, yes games can take advantage of more CPU threads nowadays but your performance still and always will keep relying on good CPU per core performance

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

gaming performance still rely on fast and strong CPU cores whether you like it or not, yes games can take advantage of more CPU threads nowadays but your performance still and always will keep relying on good CPU per core performance.

Also op is building this computer to play games that exist right now. The price of yesterdays top end tech drops dramatically the second something new is released so it is almost always best to plan for your actual needs and upgrade affordably in the future to deal with future requirements.

And no one can predict what will happen in the future. For all we know cpus will end up going in a totally different direction. Also the lifespan of the build comes into play. In 2-3 years op may have replaced/upgraded most of these components and the issue will be completely different.

gaming performance still rely on fast and strong CPU cores whether you like it or not, yes games can take advantage of more CPU threads nowadays but your performance still and always will keep relying on good CPU per core performance.

look at my profile, i aint here to fanboy, i'm here to stop people like you from making every intel user out there look like a blind fanboy.

i keep close note on cpu usage with all my games, i know what i'm on about.

Also op is building this computer to play games that exist right now. The price of yesterdays top end tech drops dramatically the second something new is released so it is almost always best to plan for your actual needs and upgrade affordably in the future to deal with future requirements.

And no one can predict what will happen in the future. For all we know cpus will end up going in a totally different direction. Also the lifespan of the build comes into play. In 2-3 years op may have replaced/upgraded most of these components and the issue will be completely different.

have you ever used one of these CPU's in your gaming rig?

look at my profile, i aint here to fanboy, i'm here to stop people like you from making every intel user out there look like a blind fanboy.

i keep close note on cpu usage with all my games, i know what i'm on about.

anyways, i'm out...in the end AMD needs the money real bad right now...so, AMD CPU's? Good...GOOD GOOD GOOD...very good shit...that's probably why ALL the informations available on the internet point in that direction...reviewers never end-up giving praise to these CPU's so there's got to be a reason as to why this is!!

I was agreeing with you about a gaming rig focusing on single core performance for current games and dealing with the future in the future.

Yeah works perfectly fine, I was only a few fps behind my friend's i7, but then again I overclock etc.

Okay thanks for visiting, noted Intel is better but this build is an AMD build.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

I was agreeing with you about a gaming rig focusing on single core performance for current games and dealing with the future in the future.

no, you insulted me saying ''someone is wrong....someone seems like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, and someone else seems like a complete and total asshat who is probably 12 years old (or at least only that mature as he goes around calling people "son".)'' i think you should check my profile...son! ;)

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

ahhh...see?! GTX 960...Full HD...with such a weak ass GPU solution, yes of course you won't see ANY improvements going with a stronger faster CPU...your are GPU BOUND 100% of the time...but what about a R9 390X like the OP is planning to use? or the dual R9 390X in crossfire he said he planned to get down the road?!?! what about THAT?!

Do you even understand how a gaming computer work?!

no, you insulted me saying ''someone is wrong....someone seems like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, and someone else seems like a complete and total asshat who is probably 12 years old (or at least only that mature as he goes around calling people "son".)'' i think you should check my profile...son! ;)

Maybe start acting like the mature age you are please? It would help the forum better if you did also, please for the 3rd time, leave the thread.

This is an AMD build regardless if you like it or not.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

ahhh...see?! GTX 960...with such a weak ass GPU solution, yes of course you won't see ANY improvements going with a stronger faster CPU.,..but what about a R9 390X like the op is planning to use? or the dual R9 390X in crossfire he said he planned to get down the road?!?! what about THAT?!

Doesn't matter, you're saying the FX will hold back a system, this shows in gaming with modern coded games, it doesn't matter. 

I'll ask you yet again to please leave this AMD build log that you're derailing. The game is playable above 60fps like on an intel.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Maybe start acting like the mature age you are please? It would help the forum better if you did also, please for the 3rd time, leave the thread.

This is an AMD build regardless if you like it or not.

i know it is, and i'm fine with it...

Doesn't matter, you're saying the FX will hold back a system, this shows in gaming with modern coded games, it doesn't matter. 

with a low/mid-range GPU!!!! that's the point here...OP is NOT going with a R9 280 or a GTX 760!

i know it is, and i'm fine with it...

with a low-mid-range GPU!!!! that's the point here...OP is NOT going with a R9 280 or a GTX 760!

*sigh* ...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

*sigh* ...

Low/mid-range CPU should be paired with low/mid-range GPU, end of the story.

Believe it or not... you can find the way someone acts completely abhorrent without disagreeing with them. Real life example: Say you are pro-life. Does that mean you can't call someone that bombs an abortion clinic a murderer? Anyways I happen to be an intel fanboy, I just also happen to hate people that crap all over something because they can't actually talk about what they think without flinging poop everywhere.

See how Benji disagreed with what I said just now and responded by posting something relevant to the conversation and magically did it without insulting my mother/calling me names/calling me "son". Be like Benji and express yourself without being a dick and everyone will have a much better time. Also someone might actually learn something from this discussion and everyone might not just walk away upset and having learned nothing (or more likely when the mods have to get involved and say exactly what I just said but with a lot more force).

Low/mid-range CPU should be paired with low/mid-range GPU, end of the story.

Okay... anything else you'd like to say? Because this has become tiresome.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

@i_build_nanosuits that single threaded performance, horrible i know, i can barely take it :/

click this link, and PLEASE take a moment to ANALYZE those results from the LTT community:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1

where does the BEST amd FX chip rank?! WHERE?!

click this link, and PLEASE take a moment to ANALYZE those results from the LTT community:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sxzGshuqVtFe_2zgRhN3gXCraR7d8p-NazJ6z0nsGGc/edit#gid=1

Ah a synthetic benchmark... the be all and end all of all real world performance. We should all run out and grab those xeons at $10k a pop as they're the best for that benchmark, wonder how they will game...

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

where does the BEST amd FX chip rank?! WHERE?!

yeah.. i see FX chips perform similar to equally priced intel parts...