Still worth buying a GTX 980?

Gary7

I had to return my GTX 970 as it was faulty and now have no GPU.

I am thinking about shelling out for a 980 instead, as I had fallout 4 running at 60-75fps on ultra and feel the next gen of PC games will simply not allow me to crank the graphics with a 970 at 1080p

Problem is the 980 is 4GB of RAM as well.

I am currently without a GPU and just running off my 4670k integrated graphics but I would like to get back to gaming soon..

Any ideas

Monitor is 1080p BenQ 144Hz

4GB is more enough for 1080p and even 1440p. so dont worry about that. well if u cant wait for the new gpus then sure 980. its a great card :)

I had to return my GTX 970 as it was faulty and now have no GPU.

I am thinking about shelling out for a 980 instead, as I had fallout 4 running at 60-75fps on ultra and feel the next gen of PC games will simply not allow me to crank the graphics with a 970 at 1080p

Problem is the 980 is 4GB of RAM as well.

I am currently without a GPU and just running off my 4670k integrated graphics but I would like to get back to gaming soon..

Any ideas

Monitor is 1080p BenQ 144Hz

I'd say get the 970 again and start saving immediately after for the next line of graphics cards to come out as most likely down the line in the not too distant future all the current cards will feel obsolete.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

Think id get a Fury if spending £400 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

The 980 was never good value though, not like the 980Ti.

They were going to have a price drop, but I don't know if that's happened yet. 

If I had to choose, I'd try to fit a 980Ti in the budget instead, which is better bang for buck. You could also get an R9 390X, which is roughly the same performance, but cheaper, which would allow you to save up for the next generation. It trades blows with the 980 in many games

Source: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1442?vs=1559

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

980? a lot of people say 980 isn't worth getting unless it's the ti version 

Buy something used to tie you over until 16nm GPUs are out!  In the mean time, save your pennies so you can get the flagship card when its out.  If what we are hearing is true, you should be able to get the new stuff within 6 months.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Wait for the next gen.

In the mean time, grab some books to hold you over.

twilightbooks.jpg:D

Depends on the price. I got my 980 for $400, and at that price it is definitely worth it.

• CPU i7 4790k - 4.5 Ghz | Motherboard Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) | GPU MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G - 1520 core/1811 memory | Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red | Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | PSU Enermax 650W 80+ Bronze | Display LG 22MC57HQ-P | Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

In europe it is about $585 USD at its cheapest. Importing is a bitch for europe....

you can even go with 960 and save cash for pascal or amd polaris but anyways 970 is great card

I'm kind of in the same boat and I'm waiting out for the new Pascal cards.

If you can't wait spend a little more and get the 980ti :)

What's best, Two 970 SLI or one 980?

、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``
、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽマッテェ(ノ;Д;)ノ `、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、
ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``、ヽ`、ヽ`ヽ`、、ヽ、ヽ`ヽ`、ヽ``

What's best, Two 970 SLI or one 980?

Depends on the game and your priorities.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 980 Ti makes way more sense on a 144 Hz panel. I'd only buy a 980 if I could get an extremely good deal on it, like on EVGA B-Stock where they regularly sell 980s for $360 or so. For $500 though for new? No way in hell, I'll spend the extra $120 for a 980 Ti that crushes the 980.

Depends on the game and your priorities.

1080p gaming and every late game on Ultra 60 fps

Depends on what YOU want from your rig. Would you be wanting to upgrade to the latest one once its out? Does it really bother you? If no, then go get a 980ti now. If it DOES bother you, then get something cheap now, second hand all be it, tie you over until the new releases.

1080p gaming and every late game on Ultra 60 fps

The 980 is going to be more reliable, use less power, and generate less heat. The 970 SLI will crush the 980 in games that support SLI, but if SLI is not supported you'll get the performance of one of the 970s or worse.

The 980 is going to be more reliable, use less power, and generate less heat. The 970 SLI will crush the 980 in games that support SLI, but if SLI is not supported you'll get the performance of one of the 970s or worse.

Aww I see, thanks

I would try to find a sale/deal of some sort on a 980. I have a Galax one and it is awesome (though i do have coil wine) I would get an Asus one if you are going to go for the GTX 980.

Wait until the next-gen pascal-based gpu's come out in a few months! Nvidia promises it will be 2 times better performance per watt, 3 times the memory bandwidth,  as well as a newer 16nm manufacturing process, and a small performance upgrade. It might even have 6-12gb of vram!

Wait until the next-gen pascal-based gpu's come out in a few months! Nvidia promises it will be 2 times better performance per watt, 3 times the memory bandwidth, as well as a newer 16nm manufacturing process, and a small performance upgrade. It might even have 6-12gb of vram!

Citations or it didn't happen.

Citations or it didn't happen.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/ if you don't like the news source. fine. but they use slides from Nvidia's conference which says the same stuff. Pascal is supposed to be a really big leap. However, nobody knows for sure if Nvidia is EVEN going to use Pascal in this year's gaming GPUs since they've said nothing about it. 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2015/ if you don't like the news source. fine. but they use slides from Nvidia's conference which says the same stuff. Pascal is supposed to be a really big leap. However, nobody knows for sure if Nvidia is EVEN going to use Pascal in this year's gaming GPUs since they've said nothing about it.

My issue with their statement is the insinuation that anything will release shortly. 2016 could be almost a year away. I really don't understand the ideology of waiting.