The Audio Board's Recommended Gear

SSL

Hey, I was looking at the Ath-ad2000x, is it really in the 300-500$ bracket? Prices here in Europe seem to be around 900€ (~960$).

45 minutes ago, circle said:

Hey, I was looking at the Ath-ad2000x, is it really in the 300-500$ bracket? Prices here in Europe seem to be around 900€ (~960$).

All prices are based on US Amazon, although it does seem to have gone up even there. Thanks for reporting. The AD1000X is undoubtedly a better value.

55 minutes ago, circle said:

well all the AD headphones are basically twice the price in EU.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Seems so. Unfortunately, since they have the sound signature I was looking for and I like their aesthetic. I can probably get a better value elsewhere.

14 minutes ago, circle said:

Seems so. Unfortunately, since they have the sound signature I was looking for and I like their aesthetic. I can probably get a better value elsewhere.

Again, AD1000X is probably close enough, no?

11 minutes ago, circle said:

Not for 550€, when US amazon sells them for 275$.

import them? You might be lucky to find them for 300€ on black friday.

You can be that way about everything m8. Everything is simply cheaper over there

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

For a 100CDN$, I don't think there's anyone who'd say it's a bad deal....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Would like to add an IEM to the $100-300 category.

Audio Technica ATH-IM02

Rich detailed mids, combined with fast, punchy bass, and sparkly treble.  High vocal clarity and instrument separation.  Very picky with amp choice, higher output impedance will raise the treble levels past comfortable, <5 ohms recommended, and extremely sensitive to hiss.  Isolation is very good due to a sealed design, but if the stock tips don't work, Spin-Fits/Spiral Dots/Comply will work easily with them. IMO the best bang for your buck if you're looking for a slightly brighter than neutral earphone.  

I don't really know what happens with non-stock tips, though I have heard that the Spin-Fits make them brighter and reduce the richness of the mids slightly.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Sub-$100 IEM's that rock:

Fidue A65.

I picked up mine for $50-ish? off amazon along with a set of DUNU DN-12 Trident's (my other go-to cheap IEM's).

My review below, although you could also just look them up on Head-Fi (where I found out about them), and read reviews written by people that know far more of what they are talking about than I do.

Fantastic build quality:

The cable feels thicker and more solid than most headphones I've used.  It's a bit rubbery (feels like silicone), and doesn't seem to be as prone to holding its shape and kinking as many other headphones.  The straight plug, the Y-splitter, and inline mic/remote are made of metal with a grooved texture.  The earbuds themselves are full-metal, with 8mm titanium drivers.

LL

Sound-wise, they're very flat.  I can see them working very well for pretty much any genre of music.

Highs are smooth without being overly bright.  I don't think there's any real worry about these causing listener fatigue.  The detail is there, but it's more in the background.  They don't beat you over the head with it like many IEMs.

Mids are detailed and natural.

Lows are strong without being overpowering.

Overall, just an extremely balanced, comfortable IEM with great detail.  They remind me of a punchier version of my old V-Moda Vibe's.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

4 minutes ago, Ridska said:

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/balanced-armature-series/products/b150-balanced-armature-in-ear-earphone 

@SSL 

Balanced Armature iems for 100. 

Dont you update these ? Just asking. 

I didn't write the IEM section and since they are not on my radar much I don't update. I'd say posting recommendations in the thread is a good way forward for now.

Remember, the guide is just a starting point for people, not a be-all end-all exhaustive list. I also want to avoid hype-train or FOTM products making it in there.

On 20/01/2016 at 11:01 PM, SSL said:

compatible with boompro mic

Ah, time to buy a boompro mic for my custom one pros it seems :P (couldn't find an answer to this and since they're half the price of the mod mic and Beryerdynamic's version of it, it's good to know that my cloud 2s in pink can go to rest).

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

37 minutes ago, SSL said:

I didn't write the IEM section and since they are not on my radar much I don't update. I'd say posting recommendations in the thread is a good way forward for now.

Remember, the guide is just a starting point for people, not a be-all end-all exhaustive list. I also want to avoid hype-train or FOTM products making it in there.

But what happens if a IEM is discontinued ? 

(⌐■_■) 

24 minutes ago, Ridska said:

But what happens if a IEM is discontinued ? 

Someone can post in the thread that it is discontinued and I'll update it, time permitting.

• 1 month later...

Might be an unpopular opinion, but ive been using Skullcandy Hesh 2s as my main over ears for a while now, and tbh for 50$ theyre pretty good, really good actually, then again i only ever use them through either my gaming laptop with a proper sound card in it, or through the amp that is connected to my rig, so that might be more the amps/sound cards help than the headphones, but im curious whether anyone else has had the opportunity to try them out too.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

Has anyone looked into a company called "Bluedio"?  They offer things on Amazon ranging from $50 to $250 (maybe wider but those are a few I saw) and the styling resembles other headphones available currently (but different enough that I wouldn't call it a ripoff or anything).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 12/7/2016 at 11:26 PM, SSL said:

Someone can post in the thread that it is discontinued and I'll update it, time permitting.

Can you explain what you mean regarding the HD650s having "matched drivers"?

Under the $300-$500 tab. Cheers

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 hour ago, AstroBenny said:

Can you explain what you mean regarding the HD650s having "matched drivers"?

Under the $300-$500 tab. Cheers

Sennheiser matches the drivers that are most alike, that way you don't get maybe 2dB less bass on the left ear or something like that.

4 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Sennheiser matches the drivers that are most alike, that way you don't get maybe 2dB less bass on the left ear or something like that.

So to clarify most headphone brands don't bother checking that each driver on a set is as close to identical as possible?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 minute ago, AstroBenny said:

So to clarify most headphone brands don't bother checking that each driver on a set is as close to identical as possible?

Yes, usually the manufacturer will just grab two transducers off the shelf, smack them together, and sell it as a finished product.  Don't get the wrong idea though, all the transducers are similar, just some are more similar to a certain subset than others.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 hour ago, AstroBenny said:

Yes. Cheap headphones can have up to 5dB of mismatch which is audible. Even expensive headphones can be pretty bad in this regard; one of the worst offenders for awhile (and maybe still) was Beyerdynamic, who shipped even their $1200 flagship with abysmal driver matching.

Sennheiser has some of the best in the industry - HD 650 and HD 800 commonly measure with under 1dB of mismatch across the frequency range.

32 minutes ago, SSL said:

Yes. Cheap headphones can have up to 5dB of mismatch which is audible. Even expensive headphones can be pretty bad in this regard; one of the worst offenders for awhile (and maybe still) was Beyerdynamic, who shipped even their $1200 flagship with abysmal driver matching.

Sennheiser has some of the best in the industry - HD 650 and HD 800 commonly measure with under 1dB of mismatch across the frequency range.

What I find most interesting about this is the fact that matching vs. not can make such a difference.  It means that each driver off the line varies quite a bit, which is surprising to me, especially in high-end headphones.  We all like to look up frequency response curves but by the sounds of it, there could be more variance between two drivers of the same model than there might be between two different headphones :P 

And....the sub $50 category is brought to you by Superlux! 

- I haven't tried the 668b, so I cannot comment on them.

- The 681 has wonderful bass and detail but the highs are so abrasive and sibilant that I can't recommend them with a straight face. I threw mine in the garbage because giving them away would be a sin. I would use air plane earbuds over the Superlux 681 because it's less painful. They're that bad. 

- The 681 EVO is not a bad headphone, but they have overwhelming bass that make them sound muddy. If it weren't for the horrible ergonomics (i.e. ear-pulling self adjusting headband) I wouldn't mind recommending them for bassheads. 

A noteworthy alternative is the Beyerdynamic DTX 910 for under $50. It's easy on the ears and comfy. It's everything you want from an open-back headphone. If you would just add this headphone to the list, I would shut my pie hole.