The Audio Board's Recommended Gear

SSL
1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

blah blah

People constantly forget about sensitivity.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Really?  OK, say you had two speakers that promised the same frequency response, but one was rated at 100 W and one at 10 W.  Would the 100 W not be louder?  Or do I have no idea how this works? :P 

Probably, but does that really matter in the context of selecting speakers? Sure, you need to know that number in order to get a good amp pairing, but otherwise I don't think it is much of a factor. Also, sensitivity again.

6 minutes ago, SSL said:

Probably, but does that really matter in the context of selecting speakers? Sure, you need to know that number in order to get a good amp pairing, but otherwise I don't think it is much of a factor. Also, sensitivity again.

Hm I think I just realized there was something of a misunderstanding.  You are thinking about this like proper audio gear - I was thinking about it the way a $30 2.1 setup would describe it. where "speaker" means both the speaker and the amp powering it xD sorry :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm I think I just realized there was something of a misunderstanding.  You are thinking about this like proper audio gear - I was thinking about it the way a $30 2.1 setup would describe it. where "speaker" means both the speaker and the amp powering it xD sorry :P 

That doesn't change anything, really.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

That doesn't change anything, really.

oh, interesting.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, interesting.

In those kinds of systems it is still the W RMS, which will be less than the power handling of the speakers.

2 hours ago, SSL said:

I took into account (and explicitly mentioned) sensitivity when talking about these devices...

Sensitivity among non-awful speakers doesn't vary all that much (91db@2.83V being phenomenal and 85 being fairly good, while 80 is abhorrently bad). Either way the RMS wattage difference and SNR calibration against that sort of load (which as I pointed out in contention against sensitivity measurements is only rated at a VERY low load) is significantly out of wack.

On a side topic, pointing all this out reminds me that for people using extremely high wattage audio solutions, massive quantities of power can be saved by relatively small volume reductions.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

thus it is quite probable that a 10W speaker with the same maximum sensitivity as a 200W speaker would give a higher sensitivity at lower volumes (although generally there is a standard to rate SNR at ~2.83V, which is only 1W through a 8 Ohm speaker, and thus obviously next to worthless for playing audio much louder than that).

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "maximum sensitivity" and "high sensitivty at lower volumes"? Also, what does SNR mean in this context?

what about the Denon AH-MM400? I just tried them and they are really good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 hours ago, Dackzy said:

what about the Denon AH-MM400? I just tried them and they are really good.

We'll need more to go on that "really good".

2 minutes ago, SSL said:

We'll need more to go on that "really good".

http://www.head-fi.org/products/denon-ah-mm400-music-maniac-over-ear-headphones

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:59 AM, GlassBomb said:

I actually have a pair of Corsair SP2500's that are rated similar to that ProMedia 2.1 setup...

Spec sheet says that it is 232 watts total power. 120 of that being the sub. Can probably check how loud I can take these tomorrow when it's not 3am.

Actually went around to do this today. And I didn't max them out, half volume for me is more than loud enough (enough to make our dog uncomfortable).

I would like to recommend the RE400i, they are not that well build, but they sound amazing, they are very detailed with good highs and good mids, not very bass heavy, but they are also meant to be "neutral" headphones. 

• 2 weeks later...

since I have a long vacation now, I could make something like this just with speakers instead, is that something you would want?

My brother got himself a new headset setup. A pair of used HD600's that was bought for $80 (basically brand new condition), and a modmic he bought new.

Not sure if you can do better for that price...

Oh, and I recently bought myself a headphone stand. :)

5 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

My brother got himself a new headset setup. A pair of used HD600's that was bought for $80 (basically brand new condition), and a modmic he bought new.

Not sure if you can do better for that price...

Oh, and I recently bought myself a headphone stand. :)

Jesus H Christ, who was willing to part with the HD600 for $80?

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

since I have a long vacation now, I could make something like this just with speakers instead, is that something you would want?

I'd like to keep recommendations as consolidated as possible, so yes, please PM me with whatever you come up with and I'll add it here.

1 hour ago, SSL said:

Jesus H Christ, who was willing to part with the HD600 for $80?

I have no idea. But my brother is really enjoying them :D

The seller said that he couldn't power them with his phone, and that he had only had them for three months. And the condition of them would suggest just that.

8 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

I have no idea. But my brother is really enjoying them :D

The seller said that he couldn't power them with his phone, and that he had only had them for three months. And the condition of them would suggest just that.

How can your family be so lucky? Here (in Denmark) if headphones cost 90$ new they will try and sell them for 80$ after a year of use....

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

How can your family be so lucky? Here (in Denmark) if headphones cost 90$ new they will try and sell them for 80$ after a year of use....

It's all about finding the right seller. This ad hadn't even been up for an hour before I snagged them.

The headphone stand I bought recently wasn't as good of a deal, but it was still less than half of retail, including shipping and all. (Still haven't painted the headphones or anything yet).

sgjcDGb.jpg

5 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

SNIP

Well that is really hard and I have a fealling that most Danes are just insane when it comes to used pricing, the last good deal I did was my laptop and that is about 3 years ago... Most people here are insane, they sell for 10% less than I can go out and buy the things for brand new, if I am really lucky 33% off the new price.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

Well that is really hard and I have a fealling that most Danes are just insane when it comes to used pricing, the last good deal I did was my laptop and that is about 3 years ago... Most people here are insane, they sell for 10% less than I can go out and buy the things for brand new, if I am really lucky 33% off the new price.

As I said, it's all about finding the right seller. I even looked around again. Seems that there is another person selling a pair of HD600's for 800kr. And I am super tempted to check with the seller on what their condition is like.

Might pick up them for shits and giggles.

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

SNIP

WHAT???? they are 1800 DKK used here. ffs...

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

WHAT???? they are 1800 DKK used here. ffs...

Only problem with it is that I would have to get another headphone stand...

Not really comfortable with hanging those on this a chair like I do with my ATH-AD2000X's, since those have a headband of solid metal.

16 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Only problem with it is that I would have to get another headphone stand...

Not really comfortable with hanging those on this a chair like I do with my ATH-AD2000X's, since those have a headband of solid metal.

such a big problem... xD 

It would be nice to meantion, that the MrSpeakers Mad Dog headphones are discontinued and sold out.

Also an explaination what a "V"-shaped sound signature is (for total beginners) would be great!