The Audio Board's Recommended Gear

SSL
1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

We all like to look up frequency response curves but by the sounds of it, there could be more variance between two drivers of the same model than there might be between two different headphones :P 

Thus is true, however the sound imparted by interactions with cups and pads also affects the overall signature. CSDs and other measurements do a better job of showing these differences.

9 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

A noteworthy alternative is the Beyerdynamic DTX 910 for under $50. It's easy on the ears and comfy. It's everything you want from an open-back headphone. If you would just add this headphone to the list, I would shut my pie hole. 

I'll need a more detailed description of the sound if I'm going to add it to the list. This is partly so I can do a good write-up, but also so that I know you are a qualified listener. "Easy on the ears" is unfortunately not enough for me to evaluate whether a headphone belongs on the list. There are a LOT of headphones under $50 in the world.

On 1/14/2017 at 11:24 PM, SSL said:

Thus is true, however the sound imparted by interactions with cups and pads also affects the overall signature. CSDs and other measurements do a better job of showing these differences.

CSD?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Before I get killed on the value... It'd be nice to see a bit of info for wireless cans (even with a huge disclaimer generally dis-recommending them, and in fact, the one I wanted to bring up in particular is rather special in it's own way being relatively immobile.)

In particular, for someone who actually likes that sort of thing, I would highly recommend after a few months of use (completely replacing my wired Senns at home) the RS185, which in the US is now sitting around 200-250 dollars.

Wireless RF signal, open back, with american-style (non-concrete) whole house range. 

I don't have a great write up for it, but maybe someone else here has experienced them and cares to.

In the mean time, head-fi (I know, I know...) review.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764148/sennheiser-rs185-review-by-mark2410

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Before I get killed on the value... It'd be nice to see a bit of info for wireless cans (even with a huge disclaimer generally dis-recommending them, and in fact, the one I wanted to bring up in particular is rather special in it's own way being relatively immobile.)

In particular, for someone who actually likes that sort of thing, I would highly recommend after a few months of use (completely replacing my wired Senns at home) the RS185, which in the US is now sitting around 200-250 dollars.

Wireless RF signal, open back, with american-style (non-concrete) whole house range. 

I don't have a great write up for it, but maybe someone else here has experienced them and cares to.

In the mean time, head-fi (I know, I know...) review.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764148/sennheiser-rs185-review-by-mark2410

yes, it would be nice to get some RS headphones, but I think most of us recommend them every time there is a wireless heqdphone thread

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, AstroBenny said:

CSD?

cumulative spectra decay. Also known as a waterfall plot.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

• 2 weeks later...

Can you please tell me something about the razer Adaro dj? Something about comfort and a little bit about sound quality? For me all headphones on the list are not available or much too expensive. Right now I am using the uncomfortable Razer Kraken pro's.

56 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Can you please tell me something about the razer Adaro dj? Something about comfort and a little bit about sound quality? For me all headphones on the list are not available or much too expensive. Right now I am using the uncomfortable Razer Kraken pro's.

how can I put this nicely? They have the same audio quality as a string and two plastic cups. Razer basically has no idea how to make headsets or headphones.

I see that you are in Germany (you do know that your location says German, right?)

You could give the Beyerdynamic DTX-910 a look, but they are open, so they will leak sound in and out. If you want closed then the AKG K-92 and SRH 240. I know that Thomann.de sells all of these headphones. We ofc also have all of the superlux headphones

If you want a headset, then the HyperX cloud.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

how can I put this nicely? They have the same audio quality as a string and two plastic cups. Razer basically has no idea how to make headsets or headphones.

I see that you are in Germany (you do know that your location says German, right?)

You could give the Beyerdynamic DTX-910 a look, but they are open, so they will leak sound in and out. If you want closed then the AKG K-92 and SRH 240. I know that Thomann.de sells all of these headphones. We ofc also have all of the superlux headphones

If you want a headset, then the HyperX cloud.

I know that Razer is pretty bad when it comes to headphones but I am a Razer fanboy and I love their designs. I have taken a look at the Beyerdinamics and they look good and they are afordable. I don´t mind open headphones because I am using some right now.

Also I didn´t know that my location only said German, so thank you, the programm that I am using to translate my texts into binary sometimes forgets a word or a letter.

Some of my friends have the Cloud headset and I have noticed that all of them have background rushing sounds, and my original plan was to get headphones and a standalone microfon.

9 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

I know that Razer is pretty bad when it comes to headphones but I am a Razer fanboy and I love their designs. I have taken a look at the Beyerdinamics and they look good and they are afordable. I don´t mind open headphones because I am using some right now.

Also I didn´t know that my location only said German, so thank you, the programm that I am using to translate my texts into binary sometimes forgets a word or a letter.

Some of my friends have the Cloud headset and I have noticed that all of them have background rushing sounds, and my original plan was to get headphones and a standalone microfon.

Well the "rushing sounds" are is it the mic or the drivers? It is pretty normal for a PC to have interference on the mic, so any mic that connects to their PC via 3.5mm jack will have it. Either way it is interference from their PC and not the actual headset.

Also no the Kraken pro's aren't open, they are just made to look that way.

The DTX 910 are some pretty good affordable headphones, but they do feel a bit cheap.

51 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well the "rushing sounds" are is it the mic or the drivers? It is pretty normal for a PC to have interference on the mic, so any mic that connects to their PC via 3.5mm jack will have it. Either way it is interference from their PC and not the actual headset.

Also no the Kraken pro's aren't open, they are just made to look that way.

The DTX 910 are some pretty good affordable headphones, but they do feel a bit cheap.

They are not open? That's the first time I hear this after 1 1/2 years.

56 minutes ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

They are not open? That's the first time I hear this after 1 1/2 years.

They are closed, it even says that on their website "POWERFUL DRIVERS AND SOUND ISOLATION FOR HIGHEST-QUALITY GAMING AUDIO".

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-pro

They have basically made the mesh because they think it looks nice.

EDIT

This review also shows it

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/headsets/52905/razer-kraken-pro-review

just scroll down to "driver"

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

They are closed, it even says that on their website "POWERFUL DRIVERS AND SOUND ISOLATION FOR HIGHEST-QUALITY GAMING AUDIO".

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-kraken-pro

They have basically made the mesh because they think it looks nice.

EDIT

This review also shows it

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/headsets/52905/razer-kraken-pro-review

just scroll down to "driver"

Ok I think I have now decided on the Beyerdinamics, now then I would only need a USB microfon. First, do you think a headphone+standalone microfon combo is better than a headset? If you think yes then do you know any microfons for about 30-40[EURO]?

1 minute ago, GermanPCBuilder said:

Ok I think I have now decided on the Beyerdinamics, now then I would only need a USB microfon. First, do you think a headphone+standalone microfon combo is better than a headset? If you think yes then do you know any microfons for about 30-40[EURO]?

yes that often gives you the better value, but I am not the right many to ask about microphones, I would recommend starting a thread. :) 

Just now, Dackzy said:

yes that often gives you the better value, but I am not the right many to ask about microphones, I would recommend starting a thread. :) 

Ok thanks for ur help

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

It's a little on the nose, isn't it.

With a name like "Punchy Bass" and a price of $50, I have to wonder...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'm looking at buying some sub $80 (USD) IEMs to finally upgrade from my Apple EarPods.  I'm not a basshead by any stretch but I do enjoy being able to really hear it in my music, my tastes range from classical and soft jazz to rock and pop.  Any suggestions?  I'm currently looking at the NuForce BE6i's on Massdrop (MSRP $125 for $90) although I  would prefer to spend a little less than that, however the apparent quality of that pair seems to merit the extra $10.  Any other suggestions or opinions on those headphones would be greatly appreciated as I really have no experience to speak of in audio.

| 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 13" |

My gaming desktop -- |Intel Core i7-3820 | ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | 16gb 2133mhz G.Skill Ripjawz X | ASUS DUAL GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | Fractal Design Define R5 | Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm HDD | SeaSonic 760XP2 | Xigmatek Gaia CPU Cooler | LG22MC57HQ 1080p Monitor | Azio MGK1 Keyboard | Logitech G300s Mouse | HyperX Cloud Headset | Windows 10 Pro Insider |

Yesterday i ordered a Creative Aurvana Live! 2 due to recommendations and reviews by Head-Fi members.

I see the first Aurvana is one of the recommended headphones on this list, is the second version better or comparable?

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

7 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Yesterday i ordered a Creative Aurvana Live! 2 due to recommendations and reviews by Head-Fi members.

I see the first Aurvana is one of the recommended headphones on this list, is the second version better or comparable?

The most I know about it is that it is a different headphone.

7 hours ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

well I know that the Live 2 has a bit more low end. That was all I got from a quick A B listning test, I didn't notice any difference in the audio quality.

2 hours ago, SSL said:

The most I know about it is that it is a different headphone.

Yes, i believe the first is based on the Denon D1000, i'm not sure where i read this, and the second version is a completely different design.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

well I know that the Live 2 has a bit more low end. That was all I got from a quick A B listning test, I didn't notice any difference in the audio quality.

And that was the reason i chose it, the more pronounced low-end was something i was missing from my headphone experience. I heard that the only offense on the Aurvana 2 is the cable, but i already ordered an upgraded cable that fits.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

What would be the difference between these

Beyerdyanmic DT990 32 ohm

DT990 250 ohm

DT 990 250 Ohm Pro

and the Semi-Closed variant?

All of them range from like $150-$210 from the looks of it

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

What would be the difference between these

Beyerdyanmic DT990 32 ohm

DT990 250 ohm

DT 990 250 Ohm Pro

and the Semi-Closed variant?

All of them range from like $150-$210 from the looks of it

The non-pro (premium) version has lighter headcamp and slightly different hardware. Same sound. The different impedences are different impedences. The "semi-closed" variant is the DT 880 and it has less bass and slightly less treble than the DT 990.