fail

Mkfish
Go to solution Solved by Philosobyte,

Thank you for choosing not to give up. By continuing to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, you're choosing to endure pain. And while that gives you another (good) shot at happiness, it also means something else, whether intentional or not. The world is getting another chance to change from your presence and feelings. The world has another chance to enjoy what you will accomplish and what you'll teach. 

I'm a 17-year old kid - you know much more about programming and the job market and the rest of the world than I do. And even though you might already know everything I have to say, that's not going to stop me from saying it.

In freelancing in general, you either catch attention and get the job or you don't. You have to go all in or not do it. I don't think it can be a half-assed effort. 

A strong, determined (if maybe not confident) attitude that radiates both conviction and humility can go a long way in convincing others that you have the power to do, and that you won't let them down. 

You can never ever feel pressure. Pressure, a constant nagging looming feeling, is a strong hindrance to your abilities and you control it by knowing "I'm going to do my best with single-minded focus right now. Whatever happens next is unavoidable - I'll try to prevent mistakes, but I know I'll still make some and I can't undo them. So when they happen, I won't let them bother me. I'll forge on." That means you forget the past and you forget the future - you focus on now. This attitude will make you powerful and very hard to stop. 

Build your working life around efficiency. Build your resting time around efficiency, too - know when you need to take a break, know how to take a break, know when you need to get back to work, know what's important and what can be compromised, and make transitions quickly. 

Don't compare yourself with others. Compare yourself with yourself. Don't set arbitrary goals defined by how well other people can do - set challenging, yet reachable goals which are tailored to beat your previous best performance every time. 

Don't compromise on sleep. By restricting your working hours to accommodate for your sleep, you lose a break-out-of-jail-free card which could have given you bad habits. And you keep yourself healthy in the process.

When you think it's safe to exhibit your uniqueness, do so. But you have to full-heartedly accept and be comfortable with churning out stereotypical, cookie-cutter (but very high-quality) work in order to eventually earn the privilege to exhibit uniqueness. You read your employers or peers and see what they like in order to decide when to be unique and when to be cookie-cutter. In other words, don't shirk from the system. Manipulate the system and use its own strength to rise to the top: then you can defy it in safety or even fix it. 

Don't compromise much on buying things that will enhance productivity, but have a reasonable idea of what you really need.

Try to find beauty in everything. In some things you'll see it and in others you won't, but it's so much easier to live when you see the good  around you. 

Be aware that you not only make mistakes, you often make mistakes without knowing you're making them. With this knowledge, try to cover all your bases, avoid generalization, and reserve initial judgments and emotions. This applies to everything. 

Ask yourself the meaning or goal of all life. Then try to apply that to other people's lives. Then apply that to your own life. The three are not necessarily the same. The answer to the third one should never be "nothing." This will help guide you. 

I'll try to think of more things to say. Again, thank you for sharing the world with us :)

edit: Older people tend to have more authority than younger people because old folks have more experience; this respect towards older folks is usually well-founded. However, different people adapt to their experiences with differing speeds and attitudes: since people adapt with different speeds, some younger folks might be wiser than older folks not because they have more experience, but because they've processed what little experience they've had more fully. Furthermore, a person's attitude towards life influences what a person learns from an experience. 

Despite this, don't automatically discount other people's ideas if you think you're more intelligent than them. No, no. Everyone's ideas are worth taking seriously, at least for a moment. Look at them from every possible angle, try to believe their ideas yourself for a moment and see from their point of view. You never know when you've overlooked a detail. 

And vice versa - don't automatically discount your own ideas if someone more intelligent than you suggests a different idea instead. Instead, compare both ideas objectively and decide which one to take without bias. 

Something went wrong. Check the values provided on the marked tabs and try again.

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

Codecademy did a good job teaching Python I think.  Also, the community edition of Pycharm is an excellent free IDE for python.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was going to post exactly what @LtStaffel said, but of course he got there first :P

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I'm sorry for your situation.

However, if you cared that much about getting a job, why would you let a leg get in the way?

There are ways to commute without having to walk much.

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm so sorry what happened to you that sounds horrible :( I hope you get better soon and that life starts to go your way :)

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Wow... thats really upsetting. I thyself cannot imagine myself without a foot, how would i fight heathens?

Ok so out of character, i dont know if i cant help you much. I dont know much about programming. The most i know is some JavaScript, but i tried and just cannot teach it. Unfortunately not being able to walk is a huge handy cap. Luckily you seem to know a lot about pc's. Now, computers dont need you to walk, but i think you already realized this. What you can do is find a decent office job maybe, or even maybe a job in a development studio. If you have a good imagination, good work ethic, or anything of the sort, it will serve you well. Its a good idea to look in the newspaper, they put down numbers for jobs that are hiring usually. Although you dont have a cell phone, it is well worth it waiting out the phone if your life is that bad right now. 

It looks as if the peasants have risen up, and found swords!

But their sword's look a little short, if you know what I mean!

Good! The squires need training anyway!

Holy crap dude, no one has to go through things like that.... The only thing I can recommend for learning python is codeacademy because, well, that's the only thing I've used to learn it so far and it's been really good at it. It also can teach various other languages like java and HTML if needed and it's completely free.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Spoiler
Spoiler

9_9

// Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 // AMD FX-8320 CPU @ 4.3 Ghz (7-21.5 Multiplier) 200.90mhz FSB CPU-Z Validated // Kraken X40 AIO - 2x140mm Push-Pull // 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP - 8GB Avexir Core Series Red 1760Mhz // Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro 1130mhz/4GB 1025mhz (Effective) GPU-Z Validation // Corsair SP2500 2.1 & Microlab Solo 9C Speakers // Corsair K90 Silver - Cherry MX Red & Blue LEDs // EVGA SuperNova 850w G2

snip

Python is very easy! Here, take this: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/ex0.html

This is an EXCELLENT guide to Python!

For a text editor, use Atom or something. Geany on Linux. Sublime Text 2 or 3 is also awesome. Python is so easy infact it does not need an IDE.

I wish you luck! I hope the folks over at LTT can hook you up with some freebie dusty hardware, or they are gonna be douchebags as always.

Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad T61 Widescreen 15.4" 1680x1050
Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850
Arch Linux | Linux 4.3.X x86_64

Also for a note, for a GUI for Python you use PyQt and the Qt Toolkit! Version 4

Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.4GHz | 3GB DDR2 from Hynix | SATA II Patched bios (Middleton) | Samsung EVO 850

Thank you so much SilentMelodies.

Am I right on thinking I'm going to need to dual boot Windows 10 with Linux now though? I know so little about Python but hopefully not for long..! :)

Well I have seen first hand the amazing feats this community goes to helping people, but I don't expect anything in the way of this treatment, despite how overwhelmed I would be at this, I am a nobody after all

I feel like such a whining pathetic fool.. But I desperately need something good in my life,

Thank you so much SilentMelodies.

Am I right on thinking I'm going to need to dual boot Windows 10 with Linux now though? I know so little about Python but hopefully not for long..! :)

Well I have seen first hand the amazing feats this community goes to helping people, but I don't expect anything in the way of this treatment, despite how overwhelmed I would be at this, I am a nobody after all

PyQt and the Qt toolkit is multiplatform, so the same code works on whatever Python and Qt works.

There are also universal commands like time() which gives the same result on all platforms. Also some things like file open dialogs are based on universal code.

You write the program and it works on Linux with its native open file dialog, on Windows and Mac OS also, all native. Unlike Java's ugly own UI elements.

Here is some trap for young players:

Functions in Python have to be indented properly. For example

function add():    a = 1;    b = 2;    c = a + b;    print "The result is %d" % c;

It HAS to be indented with 4 SPACES to be recognized as a function block. There is no opening and closing curly braces, Python recognizes start and end of a function by the indentation.

Classes are very versatile, so i reccommend OOP. The obligatory self in python for a class is 

self

So:

class TEST:   i = 10;   function __init__(): # init is run upon class declaration.       print "Everything is indented by 4 spaces, otherwise the function breaks.;       print "This print is indented 8 spaces from the start.";       self.i = 20; # This is how you comment on Python. This is the obligatory self.;       return i;   function test():       echo "Second function";TEST.test(); # run the function inside class

Note the 8 SPACES. Tab does not work.

As writing GUI's, you use Qt Designer as a drag and drop software, use a program called  

pyuic4

Which takes the saved .ui files from Qt Designer and converts them to Python code.

designer-screenshot.png

This is the syntax:

pyuic4 input.ui -o output.py

Good luck mate! And fast recovery!

P.S: you dont want Qt5, search for all Qt4

If you want some stuff to calm you down from all the shit you have dealt with, i recommend the folks over at MrSuicideSheep. The channel was created by a guy with a similar situatioon like you. Here, play this:

Good luck again! 

Oh wow those snippets are beautiful. if there's one thing I love its clean code, and if there's one thing I love even more its semantics! I'll keep you posted with how I get on with it. However I really don't samba try and dual boot Linux with w10 the last thing I need right now is a corrupt mbr! And a virtual machine is horrible to develop on, I've had bosses make me do it before, with hardware far superior to mine. I'll press on with code acedmy for now. Thanks so much for your wisdom and time

Oh wow those snippets are beautiful. if there's one thing I love its clean code, and if there's one thing I love even more its semantics! I'll keep you posted with how I get on with it. However I really don't samba try and dual boot Linux with w10 the last thing I need right now is a corrupt mbr! And a virtual machine is horrible to develop on, I've had bosses make me do it before, with hardware far superior to mine. I'll press on with code acedmy for now. Thanks so much for your wisdom and time

Always there! If you get stuck in shit, PM me! You can reach me also on Facebook if you need: facebook.com/ognjen.galic.56

If you want some stuff to calm you down from all the shit you have dealt with, i recommend the folks over at MrSuicideSheep. The channel was created by a guy with a similar situatioon like you. Here, play this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s62Z2SPv-s

Good luck again!

I really enjoyed that its somewhat uplifting but what really stood out to me was the sincerity of the genuine melancholy felt in the songs undertones. It was extremely moving..

Thank you for choosing not to give up. By continuing to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, you're choosing to endure pain. And while that gives you another (good) shot at happiness, it also means something else, whether intentional or not. The world is getting another chance to change from your presence and feelings. The world has another chance to enjoy what you will accomplish and what you'll teach. 

I'm a 17-year old kid - you know much more about programming and the job market and the rest of the world than I do. And even though you might already know everything I have to say, that's not going to stop me from saying it.

In freelancing in general, you either catch attention and get the job or you don't. You have to go all in or not do it. I don't think it can be a half-assed effort. 

A strong, determined (if maybe not confident) attitude that radiates both conviction and humility can go a long way in convincing others that you have the power to do, and that you won't let them down. 

You can never ever feel pressure. Pressure, a constant nagging looming feeling, is a strong hindrance to your abilities and you control it by knowing "I'm going to do my best with single-minded focus right now. Whatever happens next is unavoidable - I'll try to prevent mistakes, but I know I'll still make some and I can't undo them. So when they happen, I won't let them bother me. I'll forge on." That means you forget the past and you forget the future - you focus on now. This attitude will make you powerful and very hard to stop. 

Build your working life around efficiency. Build your resting time around efficiency, too - know when you need to take a break, know how to take a break, know when you need to get back to work, know what's important and what can be compromised, and make transitions quickly. 

Don't compare yourself with others. Compare yourself with yourself. Don't set arbitrary goals defined by how well other people can do - set challenging, yet reachable goals which are tailored to beat your previous best performance every time. 

Don't compromise on sleep. By restricting your working hours to accommodate for your sleep, you lose a break-out-of-jail-free card which could have given you bad habits. And you keep yourself healthy in the process.

When you think it's safe to exhibit your uniqueness, do so. But you have to full-heartedly accept and be comfortable with churning out stereotypical, cookie-cutter (but very high-quality) work in order to eventually earn the privilege to exhibit uniqueness. You read your employers or peers and see what they like in order to decide when to be unique and when to be cookie-cutter. In other words, don't shirk from the system. Manipulate the system and use its own strength to rise to the top: then you can defy it in safety or even fix it. 

Don't compromise much on buying things that will enhance productivity, but have a reasonable idea of what you really need.

Try to find beauty in everything. In some things you'll see it and in others you won't, but it's so much easier to live when you see the good  around you. 

Be aware that you not only make mistakes, you often make mistakes without knowing you're making them. With this knowledge, try to cover all your bases, avoid generalization, and reserve initial judgments and emotions. This applies to everything. 

Ask yourself the meaning or goal of all life. Then try to apply that to other people's lives. Then apply that to your own life. The three are not necessarily the same. The answer to the third one should never be "nothing." This will help guide you. 

I'll try to think of more things to say. Again, thank you for sharing the world with us :)

edit: Older people tend to have more authority than younger people because old folks have more experience; this respect towards older folks is usually well-founded. However, different people adapt to their experiences with differing speeds and attitudes: since people adapt with different speeds, some younger folks might be wiser than older folks not because they have more experience, but because they've processed what little experience they've had more fully. Furthermore, a person's attitude towards life influences what a person learns from an experience. 

Despite this, don't automatically discount other people's ideas if you think you're more intelligent than them. No, no. Everyone's ideas are worth taking seriously, at least for a moment. Look at them from every possible angle, try to believe their ideas yourself for a moment and see from their point of view. You never know when you've overlooked a detail. 

And vice versa - don't automatically discount your own ideas if someone more intelligent than you suggests a different idea instead. Instead, compare both ideas objectively and decide which one to take without bias. 

Edited by Philosobyte
Added a section

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 14/02/2016 at 3:24 AM, Philosobyte said:

Any update on your situation or thoughts?