It turns out that uninstalling Facebook (for Android) is pretty great

Techicolors
While it's not my favorite social network, Facebook is where I go to see photos and commentary from local friends and family I don't see every day. And it does that really well, most of the time. Recently I noticed some performance issues on multiple phones, and had started paying closer attention to what exactly was causing these problems. When Facebook turned out to be one of the more egregious resource hogs, I uninstalled it to see how things improved.

Not only did my performance issues go away entirely, but I discovered I didn't actually lose any of the Facebook features I cared about by uninstalling the app.
It turns out Facebook's mobile browser implementation is fairly well put together. The UI is quite similar to the app, and Chrome for Android is fast enough that things like scrolling performance and load times for photos wasn't all that different either. There are no autoplaying videos as I scroll, which is awesome, and I still had the ability to switch accounts when I wanted to check in on the Android Central Facebook page. Opening links pops open a new Chrome tab by default instead of trying to load Facebook's "lightweight" WebView client. I still had the Facebook Messenger app installed, so getting messages from friends and family who only used Facebook was still happening. 
When you log in to Facebook on Chrome for Android, you get a little pop-up asking if you want Chrome to allow Facebook to pass notifications to you even when you don't have Chrome open. If you enable this option, your Facebook notifications show up in your notification tab as Chrome notifications. Tap the notification, and Chrome loads Facebook in a new tab for you and you're taken straight to your notifications on Facebook just like you would if the app were installed on your phone.

Source http://www.androidcentral.com/it-turns-out-uninstalling-facebook-android-pretty-great

what kinda self respecting techy even uses facebook or cares about it

I heard twitter went down for a bit the other day... wonder how many people died from that :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

The kind with kids and extended family, but YMMV

humbug.....also..if you got kids...you probably aren't much of a techy anymore

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

The normal kind?

someone would have to be a pretty big looser to really give a crap about facebook or twitter...

and don't mention linus...he has to use them for his business

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

someone would have to be a pretty big looser to really give a crap about facebook or twitter...

Every business has to use them because everyone expects it these days... *sigh*

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Good thing I don't use facebook, but that's good to know for my friends.

humbug.....also..if you got kids...you probably aren't much of a techy anymore

So much ignorance.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Lol! @techguru is getting so rekt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

i have an account.

i signed in. said hi to my parents and closest friends. Signed a petition for some game that i played, DIsney  bought it and fucked it up (it was later fixed). Then signed off.

my facebook history. in three simple lines of text

I installed the facebook app once just to try it some years ago. I uninstalled it after 2 minutes and went back to the mobile web version. I still don't understand why people insist on using that bloated app when the alternative is the better option.

yes, my idea of connecting with friends is spamming emojis on their wall then looking at posts of kittens

/s

if thats what your friends do on FB then you need new friends

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if thats what your friends do on FB then you need new friends

that's all my friends do, they're not even the geeky nerd friends

they're as close as you can describe what a "normal" person is

I used to be quite active here.

that's all my friends do, they're not even the geeky nerd friends

they're as close as you can describe what a "normal" person is

well i use fb to msg them once in a while or sometimes post a pic of something interesting

and they usually post cool stuff too, not spam

so idk wtf is wrong with your friends, but clearly the issue here is the user, not facebook

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

One could say that you would have to be a pretty big loser to really give a crap what other people use online, social media wise...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I had FB uninstalled for months. The only thing I really use it for is the messenger app (which works without needing to install FB). Recently I downloaded Discas (idr how it's spelled) and I uninstalled Messenger since that app supports it. 10x better.

FB is 90% Buzzfeed videos/articles and stupid quotes now, messaging is the only useful thing IMO

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I had FB uninstalled for months. The only thing I really use it for is the messenger app (which works without needing to install FB). Recently I downloaded Discas (idr how it's spelled) and I uninstalled Messenger since that app supports it. 10x better.

FB is 90% Buzzfeed videos/articles and stupid quotes now, messaging is the only useful thing IMO

WoahWoahWoah... Backup a sec here.... There's a 3rd party app that I can used for FB messenger that doesn't require FB or Messenger to be installed on my phone!? Why am I just now hearing about this!? :o

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

WoahWoahWoah... Backup a sec here.... There's a 3rd party app that I can used for FB messenger that doesn't require FB or Messenger to be installed on my phone!? Why am I just now hearing about this!? :o

It just recently got out of beta I think. But my friend recommended it to me (and it has decent reviews). But when I downloaded it there were multiple apps recommended that claimed to do the same thing. So far I like it because it doesn't bug me every 2 secs with new messages and I can actually turn off notifications if I want.

Double checked my phone - it's DISA (not Discas lol)

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

It just recently got out of beta I think. But my friend recommended it to me (and it has decent reviews). But when I downloaded it there were multiple apps recommended that claimed to do the same thing. So far I like it because it doesn't bug me every 2 secs with new messages and I can actually turn off notifications if I want.

Double checked my phone - it's DISA (not Discas lol)

Sweet, I'll have to check it out after class tonight.

END OF LINE