"The Storm" Enthusiast Gaming PC, 3D Rendering, and Digital Content Creation Workstation

The-Storm-Graphics.png

Welcome to my build log of "The Storm"! This is not a troll post, this is for reals. I am in fact, building this. I also don't have a banner for this build, but I will make one for it.

This will be my Enthusiast Gaming PC and 3ds Max Workstation computer for doing both AAA gaming and 3ds Max work. Now there are some components that are going to be controversial in choice. However, there is nothing like this yet on the LTT forums. What inspired me to do this is 1) to prove just how weak my family's computers are for the content I create in 3ds Max, 2) To harness the power of the GPU to rip and tear through all of my projects I couldn't render in time at the college through Nvidia Iray because that's all I have access to, and 3) To show just how well this system can hold up in the test of time for AAA games.

If you have read my profile page, you may have seen what my dream system is, and this is it below. It may not be the rig that you may have seen in the PCPartPicker link, but this system will evolve into that aforementioned system.

• The Ultimate gaming experience
  • Cutting through complex models in 3ds Max and Maya by harnessing the power of the GPU to render.
  • Show the capabilities of this monster on how long it's able to hold up in the future of AAA games.

Spoiler

My go-to source for most of these components is Fry's Electronics. However they don't stock everything I need/want below. Micro Center stocks some of the components up in Orange County (~1 hour drive). * denotes online from either Amazon or Performance PCs.

The Components (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved | Delivered/Purchased)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K 3.5 GHz Haswell-E 6-core CPU
  • RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C14 - Blackout - Numbered 338-500*
  • Motherboard: Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage V Edition 10 E-ATX Intel X99 Motherboard*
  • SSD: PNY CS1311 480GB 2.5" SATA 3 6Gb/s SSD
  • HDD: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400 RPM SATA 3 6GB/s HDD
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0 GPU*
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ATX Full Tower Case (Corsair calls it a super tower because it is)*
  • Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX1200i 1.2 KW 80 Plus Platinum Certified Fully Modular Power Supply*
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Operating System - Retail USB (Free Upgrade program)

Doodads (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved | Delivered/Purchased)

• Power Distribution: ModMyToys 4-pin PWM Power Distribution PCB - 4-way block and a ModMyToys 4-pin PWM Power Distribution PCB - 8-way block (4 per side)
  • Fan Controller: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan Controller 
  • Lighting: CableMod WideBeam RGB LED Strip w/ Magnetic strip - 60cm*
  • Multi-GPU Connectivity: EVGA Pro SLI HB Bridge (2-slot Spaced)*
  • Cable Management: Custom
  • Headphone Hanger: 2 Brainwaivz Hengja Calmp-on Headphone Hangers
  • UPS Battery Backup: Tripp-Lite 1500 VA UPS Battery Backup

Modifications

• DIY Custom Cables w/ MDPC-X sleeving
  • Custom aluminum cover to hide the SupremeFX Hi-Fi inside of the Caselabs Magnum SMA8
  • SLI HB Bridge Character Art Modification (with CNC etched cast acrylic)

The Desk Hardware (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved | Delivered/Purchased)

• Monitor: Asus PB238Q 24" 1080p 16:9 IPS monitor and HP Compaq LA1956x 720p 5:4 TN monitor
  • Graphics Tablet: Wacom Cintiq 13HD 13" Graphics tablet
  • Keyboard: Corsair K95 2016 RGB MMO Keyboard w/ Cherry MX Brown switches*
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Tunable Gaming Mouse*
  • Gaming Mat: Razer Goliathus Extended Control Gaming Mouse Pad
  • Desktop Speakers: JBL Professional LSR305 Studio Monitors + LSR310S 10" Studio Subwoofer
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 SE Black Headphones*. Sennheiser HD 800 S Audiophile/Reference Headphones*.
  • Microphones: Rode NTR Ribbon Microphone.
  • Audio Source: Asus ROG SupremeFX Hi-Fi 5.25" USB DAC/Amp combo + Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface
  • Desk: Custom
  • Chair: DXRacer Racing Series Gaming Chair (Black/Purple)*

Spoiler

The Cooling (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved | Delivered)

• CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 240 140mm AIO Cooler*
  • Cooling Fans: Two Corsair ML120 Twin Packs set up in push/pull (Amazeballs xD, the MasterFan Pro 120 AB's blows)
  • Case Fans: 1 Noctua NF-A14 LinusTechTips Edition 140mm Cooling Fan* and a Corsair ML140 Twin Pack fans

The Dual Loop Watercooling Gear (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved | Delivered) Fans from Amazon, Copper pipes from The Home Depot, Watercooling from Performance-PCs.com

• CPU Waterblock: EK Supremacy EVO Intel LGA 2011-3 CPU Waterblock (Nickel/Plexi)
  • GPU Waterblocks: 2 EK-FC Titan X Pascal Waterblocks (Nickel/Acetal)
  • Backplates: 2 EK Backplates for Nvidia Titan X Pascal - Black
  • Radiators: EK CoolStream CE 560mm Radiator and 1 EK CoolStream CE 280mm Radiator (GPUs). 1 EK CoolStream PE 480mm Radiator (CPU)
  • Fans: 8 Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm Fans and 6 Corsair ML140 Pro 140mm fans
  • Pump/Reservoir Kits: EK D5 PWM pumps with Bitspower Reservoirs, Pump Tops, and "Black Sparkle" Pump covers.
  • Reservoir Accessories: Bitspower G1/4 3-port Black POM caps with 6" "Black Sparkle" Aqua Pipes.
  • Mounts: 2 Singularity Computers Ethereal Dual Reservoir Mounts (Silver)
  • Fittings: Crazy number of Bitspower Adapters and hard-tube compression fittings.
  • Tubing: 8 5' sections of 1/2" copper pipes
  • Coolant: 3-4 bottles of Mayhems X1 Clear coolant
  • Other: EK Drain valves w/ male/female connector + T-fitting for lower compartment rads

Before you say that dual loops are overkill, yes I know they are. However you can't beat just how badass dual loop setups are, and they do have some advantages over a single loop, namely that you have to drain only one loop to change out components rather than the entire loop, and that it utilizes more of the space of a case (the 900D is big, and dual loops will definitely fill up that case so it doesn't look like I didn't install enough)

The Roadmap For This Build

• Upgrade the GTX 960 to an EVGA GeForce GTX (1180 or 2080 or whatever Nvidia decides to call Pascal Refresh or whatever) FTW.
  • Upgrade RAM to 32GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition DDR4 RAM (Blackout and let's hope it's still available then)
  • Upgrade the 900D to the monstrous Caselabs Magnum SMA8 case (with quite literally @JayzTwoCents configuration for his own case lol_by_phillyzero.gif)
  • Add a 144 Hz 4K panel or (preferably) a 4K OLED monitor
  • Build a custom nickel-plated copper pipe dual loop system.
  • Send the SMA8 to Singularity Computers for a paint job (changing it from black to Midnight with custom artwork for the back hinged side panel)

Spoiler

Q: When will I build this system?
A: July to August. Some parts will come along the way due to out of stock issues that need to be remedied.

Q: Since when does 3ds Max need 12GB of VRAM?
A: 3ds Max would end up going over 6GB on the Titan, Titan Black, and 980 Ti when the scene becomes large/complex, causing textures to not become loaded or potentially the scene would not load at all. Any 3D DCC and/or CAD software will benefit with more VRAM. Programs like AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor, Mudbox, ZBrush, Adobe Premier (if you're using CineForm), After Effects (Don't know much about it), and Illustrator uses the GPU,  which counts in VRAM as well. If you're going to be doing moderate levels of content creation,  a 980 Ti will suffice. A Titan X if you're aiming high like me. 

Q: Does 3ds have support for AMD gpus when rendering yet?
A: 3ds Max uses CUDA, rendering AMD cards almost incompatible. Though I still question the compatibility of AMD cards in 3ds Max as Autodesk has drivers for AMD GPUs.

I also would love to get Vray or OctaneRender, but as a college student doing animation and modeling in 3ds Max, that's something to dream about unfortunately, as they are not cheap pieces of software.

I have also decided to go with a decent graphics tablet. Not the exact best though, but if I have enough after I get the other GTX 1080 for my rig, I might be able to spring for the Wacom Cintiq 27QHD, which is industry-standard as of now I assume. Then I can seriously take off with my creative as hell mind. Because trust me, as of late, I have been doing content creation for my DeviantArt account which you can check out here. I am currently doing 3ds Max with a keyboard + mouse. Not the best though, but I am getting there for my first Deviation for my original character I am doing for a Blizzard franchise.

I plan on doing SLI Nvidia Titan X's because why not and also because I decided to hold off on upgrading to a 4K display in hopes for an OLED monitor or a 120 Hz 4K display. My 3D applications can also harness multiple CUDA compute devices as well, and if I have two Titan X's, it will simply demolish them so hard I wouldn't need to wait for a long time. Change of plan amidst rumors of a "Pascal Refresh" or "Volta" to now an EVGA FTW variant in the x80 lineup. 32GB of RAM is also being tossed into the mix as part of the upgrades being made to the computer, and after that, The Storm will be brought up to spec in terms of core component selection. I also would like to add a UPS Battery backup to my system to maximize the cleanliness of the power coming from the mains, and to provide power in the event of a power outage. Trust me, it has happened before where I live.  Not as often though, but it does happen every now and then.

Test Programs I will use to test stability and/or reliability

• OCCT Stress Test
  • PassMark Memtest86
  • EVGA OC Scanner X Furmark
  • CrystalDiskMark Disk Benchmark
  • HD Tune Storage Testing Utility

Overclocks and Voltages

These are the overclocks and voltages I was able to attain:

• Intel Core i7-5930K
    • CPU Frequency: 4,500 MHz
    • CPU Voltage: 1.25000
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+
    • GPU Core Frequency: 1,495 MHz
    • GPU Memory Frequency: 4,095 MHz (8,190 Effective)
    • GPU Voltage: 1.250 volts

Power Draw

I think people should be documenting this, but here's the power draw this system can pull from the wall. This is recorded with Corsair Link 4:

• Idle: 122 watts
  • Load: 529 watts
  • CPU Current Draw: PCIe Port 1: 22 amps, PCIe Port 2: 11, Combined: 34 amps
  • GPU Current Draw: PCIe Port 6: 14 amps

Benchmarks I will use

Synthetic and/or Workstation Environment simulation.

• CineBench [Real-world in a 3D usage scenario (e.g. 3ds Max)]
    • CPU Multi-thread: 1,321 points @ 4.7 GHz.
    • CPU Single-thread: 139 points @ 4.2 GHz
    • OpenGL: 133.83 FPS
  • Octane Bench [Real-world in a 3D usage scenario (e.g. 3ds Max)]
    • Total Score: 50.140874 points
  • 3DMark Fire Strike (All versions) [Synthetic]
  • Unigine Heaven and Valley [Synthetic - All Settings Max, Tessellation Normal (Heaven)]
    • Valley 
      • 1080p: 38.9 FPS, 1,629 points.
      • 1440p: 23.1 FPS, 965 points.
      • 4K: 10.7 FPS, 447 points
    • Heaven
      • 1080p: 39.7 FPS, 1,000 points.
      • 1440p: 22.2 FPS, 559 points.
      • 4K: 9.4 FPS, 238 points.
  • A previous 3ds Max project (Nvidia Iray rendering benchmark, single-frame and full sequence. Will figure out what I want to render)

Games (1080p, 1440p, and UHD 4K, VSync OFF on all games)

• ARMA 3 (Max Settings, Max AA, Max Draw Distance. 100% Sampling. No Radial and Rotational Blur, Sharpening Amount, and DoF)
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: , Min. FPS: , and Max FPS: 
      • 1440p: Avg. FPS: , Min. FPS: , and Max FPS: 
        • 4K: Avg. FPS: , Min. FPS: , and Max FPS: 
  • Tomb Raider 2013 (Ultimate Preset, FXAA, MFAA, and TressFX)
    • 1080p Avg. FPS: 60, Min. FPS: 42, and Max FPS: 76
    • 1440p: Avg. FPS: 38, Min. FPS: 27, and Max FPS: 50
    • 4K: Avg. FPS: 18, Min. FPS: 14, and Max FPS: 22
  • Metro 2033 Redux Benchmark (Very High preset. AF 16X. Tesselation Normal. No M/B, SSAA, VSync, and Advanced PhysX. 10 Runs)
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: 50.10, Min. FPS: 16.28, and Max FPS: 95.73
    • 1440p:  Avg. FPS: 34, Min. FPS: 15.07, and Max FPS: 66.33
    • 4K:  Avg. FPS: 16, Min. FPS: 7.13, and Max FPS: 35
    • Note: 1080p had to be ran twice due to scene flickering.
  • DOOM (2016 video game) (Max Settings, No M/B, Lens Flares, Film Grain, Chromatic Aberration, and Lens Dirt. Maximum Sharpening, HDR Bloom ON, FOV 130, and TSSAA (8TX) The UAC Level)
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: 60, Min. FPS: 58, and Max FPS: 60
    • Note: Since the GTX 960 4GB is only limited to THAT amount of VRAM, I cannot change the Shadows Quality and the Virtual Texture Paging Size to Nightmare. So Ultra is as high as it's going to go. Will also need to re-run.
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider (DX11 and DX12)*
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (HairWorks OFF, Ultra Preset, MFAA, Unlimited FPS)*
  • Middle-Earth: Shadow of Morodor*
  • Crysis 1 (Max Settings, Max AA, Default Motion Blur)
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: 52, Min. FPS: 36, and Max FPS: 69
  • Crysis 3 (Very High Preset, Very High System Spec, Max Texture Resolution. No M/B. SMAA 1X)
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: 45.5, Min. FPS: 35, and Max FPS: 56
    • Note: This game doesn't like my overclock settings for my GPU. Every time I play this game with my heavy overclock, the game and driver crashes. It doesn't seem to affect my CPU overclock on the other hand.
  • Battlefield 1 (Max Settings, FXAA High, HBAO, Normal FOV, DirectX 11 and DirectX 12)*
    • 1080p: Avg. FPS: , Min. FPS: , and Max FPS: 
  • Mirror's Edge Catalyst*

* denotes game not in my Steam Library or Origin Library.
I will update this post as I get the components.

Edited by JurunceNK
Redone spoilers and changed some items. Changed purposes listing. Added banner. Benchmarks coming in!

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Welcome to my build log of "The Storm"! This is not a troll post, this is for reals. I am in fact, building this. I also don't have a banner for this build, but I will make one for it.

This will be my Enthusiast Gaming PC and 3ds Max Workstation computer for doing both AAA gaming and 3ds Max work. Now there are some components that are going to be controversial in choice. However, there is nothing like this yet on the LTT forums. What inspired me to do this is 1) to prove just how weak my family's computers are for the content I create in 3ds Max, 2) To harness the power of the GPU to rip and tear through all of my projects I couldn't render in time at the college through Nvidia Iray because that's all I have access to, and 3) To show just how well this system can hold up in the test of time for AAA games.

If you have read my profile page, you may have seen what my dream system is, and this is it below. It may not be the rig that you may have seen in the PCPartPicker link, but this system will evolve into that aforementioned system.

1. The Ultimate gaming experience
  2. Cutting through complex models in 3ds Max by harnessing the power of the GPU to render.
  3. Show the capabilities of this monster on how long it's able to hold up in the future of AAA games.

The Components (Not PurchasedShipping/Reserved Delivered) (My go-to source for most of these components is Fry's Electronics. However they don't stock everything I need/want below. * denotes online from either Amazon or Newegg)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Skylake Quad-core CPU
  • Motherboard: Asus Republic of Gamers Maximus VIII Extreme Extended ATX Z170 Intel Motherboard*
  • Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H105 240mm Thick All-in-one CPU Cooler
  • RAM: Klevv Cras 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 2133 MHz CAS 15 RAM Kit*
  • SSD: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
  • HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB 7200 RPM HDD
  • Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 Graphics Card*
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ATX Full Tower Case (Corsair calls it a super tower because it is)*
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX1200i 1.2 KW 80 Plus Platinum Certified Fully Modular Power Supply
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit Operating System - Retail USB
  • Doodads/Mods: ModMyToys 4-pin to 3-pin Power Distribution PCB - 2 5-way and 1 8-way blocks*
  • Case Fans: 1 Noctua NF-A14 LinusTechTips Edition 140mm Case Fan* and 13 NoiseBlocker NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 120mm Case Fans*

The Desk Hardware (Not Purchased | Shipping/Reserved Delivered)

• Monitor: Asus Republic of Gamers SWIFT PG27AQ or Acer Predator XB271HK (Both have the same specs, which company has better services)*
  • Keyboard: Corsair K70 2016 Cherry MX Brown Full-size Keyboard*
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
  • Mouse Pad: Razer Manticor Aluminum Hard-surfaced Mouse Pad
  • Desktop Speakers: Logitech Z906 5.1 THX-certified Multimedia Speakers
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 SE Black Headphones*
  • Audio Source: Dah Schiit Stack* (Yes that's an actual audio product package)
  • Desk: IKEA BEKANT Desk
  • Chair: DXRacer King Series Gaming Chair*

The Roadmap For This Build

1. Get a custom set of AX1200i cables from @CableMod when I have the money to do so later on.
  2. Get another GeForce GTX Titan X for SLI (Either new or secondhand, lightly used for the latter)
  3. Build a custom hard-piped dual loop system (PETG or Nickel-plated Copper pipe?)

Q: When will I build this system?

A: By around Summer when I have the money for the core components (the tower and most of the desktop set)

I will update this post as I get the components.

petg

copper would not be easy to do for a system like that

few Qs

since when does 3ds max need 12gb of vram

does 3ds have support for AMD gpus when rendering yet?

and please tell me you are actually going x99 and not z170

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Why not an i7 5820k + X99 setup, for 3DS Max?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

few Qs

since when does 3ds max need 12gb of vram

does 3ds have support for AMD gpus when rendering yet?

3ds Max would end up going over 6GB on the Titan, Titan Black, and 980 Ti when the scene becomes large/complex, causing textures to not become loaded or potentially not load at all. 3ds Max will benefit with more VRAM.

3ds Max uses CUDA, rendering AMD cards almost incompatible. Though I still question the compatibility of AMD cards in 3ds Max.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Why not an i7 5820k + X99 setup, for 3DS Max?

Because how I'm going to render my projects is through the GPU, as they're more powerful than the CPU. And I also do plan to overclock the CPU so it performs roughly the same as the bigger boys.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

3ds Max would end up going over 6GB on the Titan, Titan Black, and 980 Ti when the scene becomes large/complex, causing textures to not become loaded or potentially not load at all. 3ds Max will benefit with more VRAM.

3ds Max uses CUDA, rendering AMD cards almost incompatible. Though I still question the compatibility of AMD cards in 3ds Max.

Weird. Unless you are that guy that makes scenes in "realistic" perspective..

Sorry I should have mentioned that im talking within the realm of VRay

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Weird. Unless you are that guy that makes scenes in "realistic" perspective..

Sorry I should have mentioned that im talking within the realm of VRay

I use the "Perspective" Viewport with the "Realistic + Edged Faces" options enabled.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I use the "Perspective" Viewport with the "Realistic + Edged Faces" options enabled.

You are that guy

Wire frame front top and left and isometric quarters shaded ftw...

You are that guy

Wire frame front top and left and isometric quarters shaded ftw...

Yep :D. Top, Front, and Left viewports, all of them with Wireframe enabled.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

petg

copper would not be easy to do for a system like that

Okay :)

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Yep :D. Top, Front, and Left viewports, all of them with Wireframe enabled.

Anyway get a 5820k not 6700k

same price more performance

Also which monitor between the Asus Republic of Gamers SWIFT PG27AQ and Acer Predator XB271HK would you recommend me to get?

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I vote for Nickel Plated tubing! I think it would look really great and be original. Bitspower has some nice looking brass tubing, and you could save loads of money by going with Barrow fittings (Same oem as bitspower).

I like good humans and good food

I vote for Nickel Plated tubing! I think it would look really great and be original. Bitspower has some nice looking brass tubing, and you could save loads of money by going with Barrow fittings (Same oem as bitspower).

That's what I was thinking too. I want this build to be as original as possible. So nickel-plated copper piping is beast for this build. Also I do intend to mix Barrow fittings and extensions with some nice-looking EK HDC fittings. The copper piping I can buy from The Home Depot since I live near one, specifically 1/2" in OD and plumbing-grade.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Anyway get a 5820k not 6700k

same price more performance

Not the same price in my country. 100 bucks different.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Not the same price in my country. 100 bucks different.

Well I am in the United States, so there's that. And when I said that I was going to build this thing around Summer, the 6700K should come down in price significantly after Intel fixes their 14nm yields to sate demand for both the 6600K and 6700K ;)

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Well I am in the United States, so there's that. And when I said that I was going to build this thing around Summer, the 6700K should come down in price significantly after Intel fixes their 14nm yields to sate demand for both the 6600K and 6700K ;)

You are so lucky you aren't in aus, your internet is perfect and your prices are better. ok I was about to rant but whatever :/

Spoiler

A build log without pictures is worthless, should not have started this topic this early.

A build log without pictures is worthless, should not have started this topic this early.

I know it's worthless to not post pics of my build log. However I felt it was a little too late for pictures for the case and PSU (I got those almost a month ago). However I will post pictures of incoming items, and I expect a shipment of some doodads and a case fan from Performance-PCs. I will post pictures of what I got ;)

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

You are so lucky you aren't in aus, your internet is perfect and your prices are better. ok I was about to rant but whatever :/

Internet can be bad depending on your area in the US.

• CPU i7 4790k - 4.5 Ghz | Motherboard Asus Z97-E/USB3.1 | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) | GPU MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G - 1520 core/1811 memory | Case Corsair SPEC-03 Red | Storage Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | PSU Enermax 650W 80+ Bronze | Display LG 22MC57HQ-P | Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I know it's worthless to not post pics of my build log. However I felt it was a little too late for pictures for the case and PSU (I got those almost a month ago). However I will post pictures of incoming items, and I expect a shipment of some doodads and a case fan from Performance-PCs. I will post pictures of what I got ;)

Say.. interested in a GTX 690 modified to become dual quadro K500s?

Say.. interested in a GTX 690 modified to become dual quadro K500s?

I'm not sure for how much. And I would much prefer if it was stock BIOS so I can do some tweaking and tuning.

RIGZ

Spoiler

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

QUOTES

Spoiler

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I'm not sure for how much. And I would much prefer if it was stock BIOS so I can do some tweaking and tuning.

Its a hardware mod. You switch out a resistor same bios. http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/ I havent modded it yet and probably wont unless there is a need

Internet can be bad depending on your area in the US.

Name the worst American internet.

Now compare it to Australia's worst.

Spoiler