Good evening, I'm planning on buying a laptop for college, mostly I use programs like Adobe and Blender Cyles, I also want to be able to handle some nice gaming on my laptop, and for this I had chosen, to go with a Clevo P650RE6 as configured below:

Also before continuing I have a desktop so I don't need it to be a mobile workstation so to say but don't want to postpone somewhat heavier works 'till I get home like having to wait till I arrive at home to do some 3D's mesh materials properly because I couldn't preview render it in classes etc... and I don't need much storage as I keep all data in my desktop everyday, so in the laptop I would only have OS, Adobe CC, Blender, a few games (3 or 4) and nothing else, no music, no downloads, no videos etc...

Price 1339€

15" 1080P IPS

25mm thick

i7 6700HQ

GTX 970M 6GB

8GB DDR4 2400Mhz (SINGLE STICK and I do not wish for any more than that much ram)

250GB Crucial MX200 M.2 Sata

Killer 1535 AC Wriless Lan + Bluetooth 4.0

CC Advanced Thermal

CC LCD Pro Calibration

This is the computer's page:

However a friend of mine who works in a computer store said he didn't recommend this because the computer's too slim for a 970M and it will overheat and he doesn't trust much the brand since it's not Alienware. (Which imo doesn't make laptops, it makes some weird HULK thing thicker than a tumor)

I am also very disgusted by thick computers but they don't have to be as thin as a Macbook.

So he recommended that I bought the Asus GL552VW with:

Price 1151€

15" 1080p

~33mm thick (One phone Thicker)

i7 6700HQ (Same CPU)

GTX 960M 2GB (960m not 970m) 

RAM 16GB DDR4 (I think this is too much ram for a laptop...considering specially I still only have 8gb on my desktop xD)

1tb 7200rpm + 128GB SSD (No idea what I'd do with that 1tb...)

LAN 802.11a/g/n/ac dual band + Bluetooth 4.0

Thing is I might have looked too much into the 970M lately and also the asus seems too thick for my taste. Which would you recommend? Do you think the Clevo one's gpu will overheat or should it be fine (I won't be overclocking any of the laptop's components.)

Also apparently my desktop PSU needs to be replaced so I'll have no desktop for about a month while the warranty runs their tests. And it will be a month with classes so work to do...

snip

Get the Clevo. Not likely to overheat with 3 cooling fans.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

That clevo should be fine in terms of cooling. It does not look all that slim, for heat to be too much of an issue. if the 100W 870m in my blade 14 runs around 80C that clevo should be just fine.

While that asus is cheaper, it also comes with the 960m which is significantly slower than the 970m...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

If I may ask, what would the temperatures of your blade be during summer? I don't think I'll be using laptop that much in the summer but never harms to know a bit more info.

I had a laptop from clevo before, the only thing I can say wrong about it is that I believe the circuits where done poorly (well the base was clevo but I think Insys another brand used clevo's based and change it a bit which ruined it) and the screen sometimes goes full white which leads me to having to lower the screen and rising it again hoping it will reset, sometimes I must suspend it and in the worst scenarios which happened only twice I think I need to reboot.

However I passed that laptop to my sister two years ago and she passed it to my little brother a few months ago, the laptop is going for 8 years old and still works nicely, at least it can run cs:go and league of legends and photoshop xD

It however got really hot in the summer going sometimes to 95ºC but only when gaming and when temperatures in the room where really high.

If I may ask, what would the temperatures of your blade be during summer? I don't think I'll be using laptop that much in the summer but never harms to know a bit more info.

I had a laptop from clevo before, the only thing I can say wrong about it is that I believe the circuits where done poorly (well the base was clevo but I think Insys another brand used clevo's based and change it a bit which ruined it) and the screen sometimes goes full white which leads me to having to lower the screen and rising it again hoping it will reset, sometimes I must suspend it and in the worst scenarios which happened only twice I think I need to reboot.

However I passed that laptop to my sister two years ago and she passed it to my little brother a few months ago, the laptop is going for 8 years old and still works nicely, at least it can run cs:go and league of legends and photoshop xD

It however got really hot in the summer going sometimes to 95ºC but only when gaming and when temperatures in the room where really high.

The P650RE6 should be alright with temps. My P650SG is getting about 80 at most here.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap