HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

jos

hdmi-1.4-specification-cabl.jpg

Only just after it leaked out, the folks at HDMI Licensing are announcing HDMI 2.0 officially. Arriving just in time for the wide rollout of a new generation of Ultra HDTVs, it adds a few key capabilities to the connection standard. With a bandwidth capacity of up to 18Gbps, it has enough room to carry 3,840 x 2,160 resolution video at up to 60fps. It also has support for up to 32 audio channels, "dynamic auto lipsync" and additional CEC extensions. The connector itself is unchanged, which is good for backwards compatibility but may disappoint anyone hoping for something sturdier to support all of those suddenly-popular dongles. The cables won't change either, as the group claims current high-speed Category 2 wires can handle the increased bandwidth. 

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/hdmi-2-0-official-4k-60fps-32-channel-audio/

It feels a bit late to be honest.

Display port forever<3.

HDMI is definitely more widely used especially when talking about TVs. This should be awesome for playing 4K games on an XBox One or PS4 @ 60 FPS... /s

displayport had it before it was cool

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Side node: The Xbox One and the PS4 will NOT support this, this requires a hardware implementation, and the first versions of those consoles will not have this. Also, good luck trying to run 4K @ 60fps, they can't even handle 1080p with some titles.

HDMI is definitely more widely used especially when talking about TVs. This should be awesome for playing 4K games on an XBox One or PS4 @ 60 FPS... /s

For TVs HDMI will be the standard not display port

I could honestly care less about TV's.

I want monitors with display port, 60Hz with a IPS screen and as cheap as possible.

The Xbox One and the PS4 will NOT support this, this requires a hardware implementation, and the first versions of those consoles will not have this. Also, good luck trying to run 4K @ 60fps, they can't even handle 1080p with some titles.

He is just making a funny, I almost replied the same way, then I saw the "/s" haha.

Old Rig | Cpu - Intel Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz | Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ | Mobo - Asus Rampage Extreme | Ram - 8GB OCZ Gold 1600mhz | Gpu - 2x Asus DK Radeon HD 4870 1GB (Crossfire) | Psu - Corsair TX750W | Case - Thermaltake Element G

New Rig | Cpu - Intel 4770K @ 4.5Ghz | Cooler - Swiftech H220 | Mobo - Asus Z87 Deluxe | Ram - 16GB Kinston Hyper X Beast @ 2400Mhz | Gpu - Sapphire R9 290X | Ssd - Kingston Hyper X Beast 3K 240GB | Psu - Corsair HX850W | Case - Fractal Design Define R4

The Xbox One and the PS4 will NOT support this, this requires a hardware implementation, and the first versions of those consoles will not have this. Also, good luck trying to run 4K @ 60fps, they can't even handle 1080p with some titles.

Sarcasm mate... I even put /s so you didn't have to refer to your sarcasm detector...

I want monitors with display port, 60Hz with a IPS screen and as cheap as possible.

Same here but HDMI will be more popular whether we care or not.

Most titles*

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Hey, you notice that "/s" at the end of his post? Yeah, that means he is being sarcastic.

Sarcasm mate...

Same here but HDMI will be more popular whether we care or not.

Sorry, read over it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand still <3 DVI :P seriously though I will be using DVI until it dies.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

If no changes are needed then I might be happy with it. and what I mean is that if, for example, you connect a HDMI 2.0 cable to a current HDMI connection on a 4k TV and you are able to get the bandwith then ok but if the back end on the TV needs upgrading and the same on your GXF card or something like that then fk that shit, DP baby

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

If no changes are needed then I might be happy with it. and what I mean is that if, for example, you connect a HDMI 2.0 cable to a current HDMI connection on a 4k TV and you are able to get the bandwith then ok but if the back end on the TV needs upgrading and the same on your GXF card or something like that then fk that shit, DP baby

Only cable is same interface hardware changes

lol just calculated the amount of pixels 8294400 = 4k, 6220800 pixels is my current eyefinity setup dual HD6970's can only just cope at 60 fps no games atm at ultra when im talking about crysis 3 etc.

Xbox and PS4 will never be able to get decent frames or graphics in 4k at 30 or 60 fps except maybe in tetris or something

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

4k Games /s that looks like 1280X720? at 30fps? jaja

when i read that BF4 is going to be at 30fps 1280X720 in PS4... i just gave my pre order to my friend

Hopefully this will get past the multistream limitation of display port. While display port can do 4k, you have to use either eyefinity or nvidia surround. With the AMD drivers not yet being fixed for eyefinity it would be great if I could use this to play in 4k without frame pacing issues until AMD releases an eyefinity fix. 

Are you for real.... console kicking PC...

Linus should do a sarcasm detector give-away I even put /s on the original post so people won't be mistaken...

^Never seen '/s' used anywhere, ever.

@ thread HDMI is rubbish and I don't much care. 4k movies when they come along? mybe this will be useful if we start using higher fps than 24 for movies (oh gawd please)

There's people who have dual Titans who want to play on 4K TV with HDMI... That way it will be possible to play 4K games at 60fps.

4k Games /s that looks like 1280X720? at 30fps? jaja

when i read that BF4 is going to be at 30fps 1280X720 in PS4... i just gave my pre order to my friend

Uhm... derp

It will be in 720p yes, but 60FPS, They wanted 60FPS rather than 1080p

But it upscales to 1080p, so you kind of get something in between

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64