Suggestions for quiet case

Hiebly

Hello. I'm looking for a quiet case that also has decent cooling for the GPU (since the 980 Ti can get pretty toasty). ATX preferably a mid tower, I dont have a huge amount of room so like 520mm is about the max height/length I'd like.

Preferably something that doesn't try to look all sci-fi or whatever, and I don't care if it has a window or not. I have no intentions of water cooling, so doesn't need to have radiator support. Basically quiet is the biggest priority here.

Fractal Design Define R5? Has built in sound dampener. Only complaint I have about it is the fans can't be PWM controlled. The fans themselves are pretty good, just no PWM control. The case does have built in fan speed switch though. So to control the fans, you'll either need a motherboard that supports speed control on non-PWM fan or manually switch the fan speeds.

Define R5

anything from the Be-Quiet line up, the 800 is their big tower, the 600 is their mid sized ATX tower. Comes with a couple different color ascents or all black. Windowed or non-windowed models. Sound dampening... looks good imo... but that R5 is pretty good too, just throwing out some more options for you....

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#m=337

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

Define R5

Trying to avoid Fractal cases. I've used the Core 3500 myself and a Define R4 for a friend and they both have noticeable vibration noises from the fans operating (not sure the blame lies with the fans or the thin metal)

anything from the Be-Quiet line up, the 800 is their big tower, the 600 is their mid sized ATX tower. Comes with a couple different color ascents or all black. Windowed or non-windowed models. Sound dampening... looks good imo... but that R5 is pretty good too, just throwing out some more options for you....

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/case/#m=337

My concern with this was most reviews I've read found that this case results in 5-10C higher GPU temps than most other cases.

Trying to avoid Fractal cases. I've used the Core 3500 myself and a Define R4 for a friend and they both have noticeable vibration noises from the fans.

That's because you're not using fans with rubber stoppers... the 3500 is also not a silent case as it is not apart of the Define line. My Define R5 doesn't vibrate at all (my fans have rubber corners.)

Never heard of them, I'll do some research thanks

Don't get it

@STRMfrmXMN

That's because you're not using fans with rubber stoppers... the 3500 is also not a silent case as it is not apart of the Define line. My Define R5 doesn't vibrate at all (my fans have rubber corners.)

So older versions of Fractal's fans are the culprit rather than the case itself? If so I may just grab some be quiet fans or something for the 3500 and see if it does the trick

My concern with this was most reviews I've read found that this case results in 5-10C higher GPU temps than most other cases.

well... there are trade offs you have to make... if you want 'quiet' the best way to do this with noise damping fan intakes and ran rpm turned down... as a result  you will have less air flow and a higher component temperature... this is true with pretty much any 'silent' case that has significant noise dampening features... 

well... there are trade offs you have to make... if you want 'quiet' the best way to do this with noise damping fan intakes and ran rpm turned down... as a result  you will have less air flow and a higher component temperature... this is true with pretty much any 'silent' case that has significant noise dampening features... 

with the default fans on the Core 3500 i have now (R2 Silent series fans) they actually vibrate more at lower fan speed. At higher speeds there's more motor noise.

So older versions of Fractal's fans are the culprit rather than the case itself? If so I may just grab some be quiet fans or something for the 3500 and see if it does the trick

if you're willing to spend the moneys and want quality, silence and performance... Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14 are the way to go

not all fans 'under volt' as well as others...

Case Fan: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.58 @ OutletPC) 
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140mm  Fan  ($23.20 @ Amazon) 
Total: $42.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-18 18:01 EST-0500

if you're willing to spend the moneys and want quality, silence and performance... Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14 are the way to go

especially if you don't have a windowed case so you don't have to look at them lol

especially if you don't have a windowed case so you don't have to look at them lol

my case is windowed but its under my desk and i dont look at it. But in Canada Noctua 140mm fans are pretty expensive. last time i checked $30-40 ea. NCIX sometimes has the be quiet silent wings 140mm fans for like $20-25 so i may go for those if i see em on sale.

If your GPU is somewhat silent, and you get quiet fans you should be fine.

If your GPU is somewhat silent, and you get quiet fans you should be fine.

alright. I guess worst case scenario if it turns out to be the case, then I have 3 extra 140mm silent fans for my next case. The GPU is pretty quiet.

alright. I guess worst case scenario if it turns out to be the case, then I have 3 extra 140mm silent fans for my next case. The GPU is pretty quiet.

Should make a large difference, trust me.