Want to water-cool my pc

Hi there

As the title says I'm interested in watercooling my pc. I'm doing it to make it quiet, get better overclocks and to simply look cool. I was wondering what your thoughts are and if there were any good budget minded stater like kits that would be good for me. Or, would it be better to wait for the new GPU's from Nvidea and AMD and then get a 980ti or 980 cheap. What are your thoughts?

My PC has a 4770k and a 290x in a corsair air 540 case.

Thanks for your time.

Hi there

As the title says I'm interested in watercooling my pc. I'm doing it to make it quiet, get better overclocks and to simply look cool. I was wondering what your thoughts are and if there were any good budget minded stater like kits that would be good for me. Or, would it be better to wait for the new GPU's from Nvidea and AMD and then get a 980ti or 980 cheap. What are your thoughts?

My PC has a 4770k and a 290x in a corsair air 540 case.

Thanks for your time.

Which exact 290x?

sapphire vapor-x 8gb 290x

If you wait, I'm sure there will be people offloading 980ti's or even TitanXs with waterblocks already installed.  The waterblock themselves are >$100, so if you are willing to wait, this would probably be the best way to go.  Many people with water-cooled lastest gen cards upgrade every gen.

Budget-minded starter kit would be something like Swifttech H240-X2, where they give you the pump, rad, res, fans and cpu block all-in-one, and then all you need is additional tubing, GPU block, and a few fittings.

If you were to go separate on each component, it adds up very, very fast.

A good startup kit could be the ek predator cpu cooler as it is able to be expanded upon.

mudgee - Jedi System Builder

i'm gonna be honest and say watercooling isnt very much a silence thing, the pump makes a "purring" sound, you have lots of fans on your rads, etc.

while its defenately better than most gpu coolers out there, watercooling isnt "silent".

It's going to cost you at least $500 to WC the system (GPU and CPU).

You can get it to a point where it's extremely quiet, but it's not something implicit with WC, you need the proper configuration and set it up correctly.

There are a couple of pretty good pumps I can recommend, but for a quiet rig nothing beats a D5 pump.

Do you find it necessary to overclock?  Are you having issues running software with the standard clock speeds?  Even if you water cool you're still going to have fans running over the radiators.  Seems like a big waste of time/money.  If you must mess with something that isn't broken why don't you get one of those all-in-one water coolers?

Honor First!

Do you find it necessary to overclock?  Are you having issues running software with the standard clock speeds?  Even if you water cool you're still going to have fans running over the radiators.  Seems like a big waste of time/money.  If you must mess with something that isn't broken why don't you get one of those all-in-one water coolers?

Like I was saying, I would want to watercool the GPU as well. In terms of waste of time and money it would be my first ever custom loop and to be honest it would be a labor of love anyway. In terms of silence, I'd just like to be able to overvolt without having to lock the fans at like 80%.

It's going to cost you at least $500 to WC the system (GPU and CPU).

You can get it to a point where it's extremely quiet, but it's not something implicit with WC, you need the proper configuration and set it up correctly.

There are a couple of pretty good pumps I can recommend, but for a quiet rig nothing beats a D5 pump.

Its not that i'm running into any issues or not getting 60fps, it would really be a hobby like move. Id just want to overvolt without having to have fan speeds really loud.

Its not that i'm running into any issues or not getting 60fps, it would really be a hobby like move. Id just want to overvolt without having to have fan speeds really loud.

I totally understand, I'm all for WC as a fun thing to do; but my point was that WC isn't inherently quiet, with lower FPI rads, low RPM high static pressure fans (on a configured fan profile) and a powerful pump like a D5 on a quiet setting, you can get the system to be almost silent. Any way it's at least $500 for a config like this one; if you are willing to pay the price then great!

I would get a single 360mm radiator for the front, maybe a 240mm up top if you have enough money, a 5.25 bay reservoir only, seperate d5 pump, CPU and GPU block and whatever tubing/fittings combination that you like. You could get a 5.25 bay pump and reservoir combo to save space but they can cause the frame of the case to vibrate and produce noise.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop