MSI vs Asus for X99 motherboard

Yeah it's just a pain that I had to drill the rivets out of the 780t to get the front 360mm rad in they really should have made the case a few mm taller to allow rads to fit

what a mess, can't you put the rad in the upper side of the case ?

Nope I have a 360mm up there already corsair really need to state which radiators fit in the front because I can't see many 360mm rads fitting cause my rads don't have particular long end tanks. 

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

But I have an idea of how to fix the paint :P

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

But I have an idea of how to fix the paint :P

so i guess the armor is removable

so i guess the armor is removable

Oh I don't know I meant the paint on the case but I guess I didn't mention that in this thread corsair don't paint the whole case so their is silver paint showing where I removed the 5.25" bays but at the moment I don't think the board is working correctly it's making my ram usage go up to 7gb on idle

Custom PC:

Oh I don't know I meant the paint on the case but I guess I didn't mention that in this thread corsair don't paint the whole case so their is silver paint showing where I removed the 5.25" bays but at the moment I don't think the board is working correctly it's making my ram usage go up to 7gb on idle

i don't think it's the mobo's fault. don't tell me you're using windows 10 ?

i don't think it's the mobo's fault. don't tell me you're using windows 10 ?

Yeah i have windows 10 pro I bought the retail copy with all the new parts. The PC freezes all the time and I didnt have any issues until my old boards bios became faulty

Custom PC:

Yeah i have windows 10 pro I bought the retail copy with all the new parts. The PC freezes all the time and I didnt have any issues until my old boards bios became faulty

i don't know about your biosn but i know that windows 10 is horrible when using ram. even chrome can't keep up with him, try to stop those services you and remove per-installed apps that you don't need (i removed them all). and windows 10 won't use more 0.9GB of ram, it's better than nothing, you can try it if you want or maybe try to update to the latest bios.

i don't know about your biosn but i know that windows 10 is horrible when using ram. even chrome can't keep up with him, try to stop those services you and remove per-installed apps that you don't need (i removed them all). and windows 10 won't use more 0.9GB of ram, it's better than nothing, you can try it if you want or maybe try to update to the latest bios.

I managed to fix it by turning off something called Windows tips or something like that in the settings it was using about 5gb of my ram just to give me tips on how to use windows 10 and it's features as for the motherboard being funny I sorted that it turned out my front panel headers were't wired up to the power button correctly so I took the button out and re-wired it and now my PC doesn't keep freezing and restarting. By the way do you have insurgency, if so what FPS do you get? I as only getting 37 avg on one Titan X and if I used both it would fluctuate all over the place I have heard this is an issue with the source engine not utilising high end hardware properly. 

Custom PC:

I'm assuming the two boards in question are Godlike and ROG Rampage Extreme...frankly, you can't go wrong with either. If you've had great experiences with MSI, stick with it. Personally, I have the ASUS and it is flippin' amazing. Don't let people tell you it isn't worth the money :D

I managed to fix it by turning off something called Windows tips or something like that in the settings it was using about 5gb of my ram just to give me tips on how to use windows 10 and it's features as for the motherboard being funny I sorted that it turned out my front panel headers were't wired up to the power button correctly so I took the button out and re-wired it and now my PC doesn't keep freezing and restarting. By the way do you have insurgency, if so what FPS do you get? I as only getting 37 avg on one Titan X and if I used both it would fluctuate all over the place I have heard this is an issue with the source engine not utilising high end hardware properly. 

one of my PCs is running windows10 and i've removed most of it's stupid features and it's pretty good now, i don't know why microsoft think we need such things. for insurgency i didn't play it before, but think i would get a pretty good fps if the game is optimized but since you said that it has an issue with high end hardware i don't know how it would work.

one of my PCs is running windows10 and i've removed most of it's stupid features and it's pretty good now, i don't know why microsoft think we need such things. for insurgency i didn't play it before, but think i would get a pretty good fps if the game is optimized but since you said that it has an issue with high end hardware i don't know how it would work.

Yeah I'm running Two way Titan X's sadly the 980ti wasn't out when I got them really like the look of the MSI twin frozr 980ti probably wouldn't bother watercooling if I had them lol but I have reference Titan X's and they really require a better cooling solution than the reference cooler so I put two EK blocks on and overclock them to 1450mhz and I still only get average of 47 ish with 2 and 37 with one with the frame rate going up and down between 160 and 20 which is worse than a steady 40fps just looks so stuttery and my Gsync monitor fails here due to such large frame drops which cards are you running?

Custom PC:

I'm assuming the two boards in question are Godlike and ROG Rampage Extreme...frankly, you can't go wrong with either. If you've had great experiences with MSI, stick with it. Personally, I have the ASUS and it is flippin' amazing. Don't let people tell you it isn't worth the money :D

I've got the godlike I like msi board from the bios point of view and I have had bad luck previously with an asus board that would turn it self off I like Asus products and they have nice designs but Asus needs to work on their customer service but overall I think the PC is working ok now just need to wait for corsair to respond as the issue was actually the case causing the godlike to go off and on due to faulty wiring for the power button :/ The only thing I have considered doing is downgrading from the 5960x to the 5820k just because I think I will get overall better performance in the tasks I do whilst still having good multi threaded performance as a lot of games suffer severe frame drops with having 8 cores especially games like Cities Skylines which only benefits from up to 6 cores.

Custom PC:

I've got the godlike I like msi board from the bios point of view and I have had bad luck previously with an asus board that would turn it self off I like Asus products and they have nice designs but Asus needs to work on their customer service but overall I think the PC is working ok now just need to wait for corsair to respond as the issue was actually the case causing the godlike to go off and on due to faulty wiring for the power button :/ The only thing I have considered doing is downgrading from the 5960x to the 5820k just because I think I will get overall better performance in the tasks I do whilst still having good multi threaded performance as a lot of games suffer severe frame drops with having 8 cores especially games like Cities Skylines which only benefits from up to 6 cores.

From what I've heard and read, ASUS support is horrendous; fortunately I haven't yet needed them for anything over the years. Unacceptable, and especially so at this price range.

Honestly, I think downgrading to the 5820k is a very good idea. I considered the 5960x when upgrading, but seriously...very few home users need a $1k CPU lol...I'm making an assumption here, but I am guessing that you are not doing anything that the 5820k can't easily handle. That $600+ saved can go to some serious hardware -- the 5960x is not a GTX 980Ti better than a 5820k :)

** Edit ** 

Just saw that you actually had the 980Ti...but still, you get the point..

Yeah I'm running Two way Titan X's sadly the 980ti wasn't out when I got them really like the look of the MSI twin frozr 980ti probably wouldn't bother watercooling if I had them lol but I have reference Titan X's and they really require a better cooling solution than the reference cooler so I put two EK blocks on and overclock them to 1450mhz and I still only get average of 47 ish with 2 and 37 with one with the frame rate going up and down between 160 and 20 which is worse than a steady 40fps just looks so stuttery and my Gsync monitor fails here due to such large frame drops which cards are you running?

the pc i'm using right now (with windows 10 btw) run a 770 and the second one two way 980ti (use to be 2way 980) and there is a third pc with an old 730. not too much but they're enough for the meantime

From what I've heard and read, ASUS support is horrendous; fortunately I haven't yet needed them for anything over the years. Unacceptable, and especially so at this price range.

Honestly, I think downgrading to the 5820k is a very good idea. I considered the 5960x when upgrading, but seriously...very few home users need a $1k CPU lol...I'm making an assumption here, but I am guessing that you are not doing anything that the 5820k can't easily handle. That $600+ saved can go to some serious hardware -- the 5960x is not a GTX 980Ti better than a 5820k :)

** Edit ** 

Just saw that you actually had the 980Ti...but still, you get the point..

I do some rendering but not to the point of studio quality or professional based stuff and then I game so the 5820k would probably suite my needs I use my 2 titan x's in 16x 8x even though the 5960x has 40 lanes and can do 16x 16x the trouble with running them in that set up is none of the accessories that msi or ek sell to link the cards together are compatible with the slot layout when running 16x 16x

Custom PC:

the pc i'm using right now (with windows 10 btw) run a 770 and the second one two way 980ti (use to be 2way 980) and there is a third pc with an old 730. not too much but they're enough for the meantime

I have a 770 in my other rig as well only thing that lets it down is the 2gb vram cap I always hit it. I have fixed the insurgency issue I now get 144fps most of the time and it only drops down to 80 occasionally it would probably be over 144fps but gsync caps it at 144.

Custom PC:

I have a 770 in my other rig as well only thing that lets it down is the 2gb vram cap I always hit it. I have fixed the insurgency issue I now get 144fps most of the time and it only drops down to 80 occasionally it would probably be over 144fps but gsync caps it at 144.

tell me that this 770 2GB is paired with a 4770k and we'll have the same rig :P . i use the pc with the 770 for linux so i don't really need so much vram. and what was the problem on insurgency

Yep, the Xpower has a OC socket, and so does the X99 GodLike. The first pic is the X99 GodLike. USB 3.1 version should still be the same, all they did was changed the usb controller from usb 3 to 3.1 and the sku from "S" to "A".

Might be why my 5960x was able to do 4.8Ghz at such low voltage then lol How many contact points do the LGA  2011-3 cpu's have then cause these motherboards have 2036 pins

Yeah, the OC socket does work. :D

OC socket has nothing to do with anything except Cache & memory OC.   Nothing to do with your actual CPU frequency or amount of voltage required to hit said frequency.

The X Power non USB 3.1 doesn't have OC socket last I checked, only the 3.1 version.   

If you noticed recently lots of manufacturers came out with USB 3.1 boards for X99 stuff, almost all of them were updated to have OC socket as well.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

OC socket has nothing to do with anything except Cache & memory OC.   Nothing to do with your actual CPU frequency or amount of voltage required to hit said frequency.

The X Power non USB 3.1 doesn't have OC socket last I checked, only the 3.1 version.   

If you noticed recently lots of manufacturers came out with USB 3.1 boards for X99 stuff, almost all of them were updated to have OC socket as well.

Come to think of it, yeah you're right. I was checking out all the boards to see which other ones has the OC socket besides Asus and MSI had none during that time. Only Gigabyte had one, I think it was the X99 SOC Champion.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Come to think of it, yeah you're right. I was checking out all the boards to see which other ones has the OC socket besides Asus and MSI had none during that time. Only Gigabyte had one, I think it was the X99 SOC Champion.

My x99 Godlike is going back tomorrow problem has come bac and it doesn't like booting from a cold start it turn straight off then on again and I cant work out why so I have requested an RMA and refund next step either Asus rampage x99 as I am sick of getting faulty boards from MSI or sell my CPU and get the Asus ROG Hero Z170 board and pick up a 6700k haven't decided yet.

Custom PC:

My x99 Godlike is going back tomorrow problem has come bac and it doesn't like booting from a cold start it turn straight off then on again and I cant work out why so I have requested an RMA and refund next step either Asus rampage x99 as I am sick of getting faulty boards from MSI or sell my CPU and get the Asus ROG Hero Z170 board and pick up a 6700k haven't decided yet.

Sad to hear that. Might want to try one of the Asus X99 boards. I personally have the Deluxe, got it around the launch time and so far no issues. Works great.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Sad to hear that. Might want to try one of the Asus X99 boards. I personally have the Deluxe, got it around the launch time and so far no issues. Works great.

Yeah looking at the Asus Rampage x99 USB 3.1 board and then getting the USB C PCI-e card once it becomes required/ if it ever becomes required.

Custom PC: