Good value headphones?

sakoki

Hello, I'm thinking about buying a nice pair of headphones for my girlfriend. However, I am on a budget. My current plan is to just get her the ATH-M50x, which, as far as I'm aware, are excellent, but if at all possible, I'd prefer to get something cheaper. I haven't really looked into headphones in a while, so I was wondering if maybe there are some cheaper alternatives to the aforementioned Audio-Technica ones.

Edit: I'm open to headphones from pretty much any brand. (Except for beats. Fuck beats.) Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Edit 2: Whilst I appreciate any suggestions, I'd prefer over-ear headphones because

1) I personally think they're the most comfortable (and I think my gf will agree) and

2) I think they look pretty fucking sexy :3

I have Sony MDR-XB950 headphones. They're pretty good. They cost me £70 but that was retail.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

M40x. Love them. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

If you're set on something from Audio Technica, and you like the M50xs, get the M40xs, because it is functionally the exact same headphone. Same drivers, same folding functionality, even the detachable headphone cable. Okay, there are some minor differences, maybe slightly more sensitive speakers, more freedom in the adjustments of the headphone, but certainly nothing worth the $60 price difference.

I would also look at different headphone manufacturers like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and AKG. Audio Technicas are nice, but there are certainly better options out there for the price.

If you're set on something from Audio Technica, and you like the M50xs, get the M40xs, because it is functionally the exact same headphone. Same drivers, same folding functionality, even the detachable headphone cable. Okay, there are some minor differences, maybe slightly more sensitive speakers, more freedom in the adjustments of the headphone, but certainly nothing worth the $60 price difference.

I would also look at different headphone manufacturers like Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser and AKG. Audio Technicas are nice, but there are certainly better options out there for the price.

As I remember, Sennheiser mostly produce on-ear headphones, which I dislike. Which Beyerdynamic or AKG headphones are particularly good (yet within my budget), or what would be a better alternative to the M40xs?

Takstar ts671? Grado SR80e? AKG Y55 (on ear)? or beyerdynamic custom one pro?

Not true... 5xx, 7xx, 8xx series for example.

And 6xx, 4xx, 3xx, 2xx

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

This may be sexist, but as your are getting it for a woman they tend care more about looks and comfort than strictly sound.  When I went back to my home state for the holidays I had my step mom try my HyperX Clouds.  She was so impressed by the sound, comfort, and build quality that she ordered a pair for herself.  I didn't she would like the the HX logo on the side, but she didn't think anything of it and she really liked the red accent stitching.  The Takstar and Gemini clones I'm sure would be fine too, but I think the Clouds are subtly more stylish.  And I'm not sure about the other two, but the Clouds came in a really nice packaging, my step mom didn't want to throw the box away.  When giving as a gift I'm sure there will be that extra wow factor.

So I'm going to guess that my step mom is a decent approximation for all women when it comes to headphones.  Just make sure to get the originals, not the Cloud2 or Core.