WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

In my main system:

1x Corsair 120GB ForceGT SSD

1x Kingston 200V+ 120GB SSD

1x WD Caviar Black 1TB (WD1002FAEX)

The Corsair ForceGT SSD is used mainly as a boot drive and for a few day-to-day programs (i.e. Adobe Reader, Web browser). The Kingston SSD is for a few games, programs and files that I want to load up quickly - plus to organize my programs and files a bit. The WD Caviar black drive is mainly for mass storage, but programs that don't require blazing fast SSD speeds are also on there (i.e. Microsoft Office).

The reason I chose a Corsair SSD as the boot drive...well...I'm a pretty big Corsair fan; plus, it was one of the faster drives in its time.

As for the Kingston SSD, it was on sale for $70 - I couldn't pass it up a well-made Kingston branded SSD. It doesn't hurt to have a few more programs run a little bit faster.

I've used WD drives since the old IDE days. They are fast and very reliable. You can't pass up the speed and the 5-year warranty on the Caviar Black drives. I use / recommend WD over the competitors for mechanical HDD storage.

I was considering in purchasing a WD Red drive for my system to store all the family photos and such, but since you are giving some away...Fantastic!

Of course, thank you Western Digital for sponsoring the prizes!

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Really not sure if I have written a post here already, so I'll just make one, in case I havn't ^^

Using:

Main PC:

Corsair Force GT 120gb -> Boot. [Y?! -> Saw the nice R/W numbers on the package. Nowhere near what it promised. Would not buy again.]

Samsung 830 256gb -> Games / Frequently used programs.

WD Caviar Black 1TB -> Storage, Games that don't profit from the increased loading time of an SSD, less frequently played games, downloads, music, work and so on and so forth. Running in an external e-Sata case, no more HDD mounts / good place to put if because of 360x80 and 360x60 rads =P

Ubuntu / Media PC:

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB -> Boot. Took it from my laptop I updated with it in 2011. Not too bad drive [i was lucky, my brothers died 4x. Would not buy again.]

WD Green 2TB -> Storage. Bought it cause it was quite cheap, said to be quite reliable, and it's quiet [PC Running at night. Noctua fans / R3 Mini]

Seagate Barracuda 3TB. -> Got it for 120$. Storage and Backups of the WD Green.

Would like to build NAS. Short on money atm though. [New Laptop Sony Vaio Pro 13 and ASUS PB278Q ^^]

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Tought i'd give this a shot too =)

BOOT:

Im currently running a 120gig Force 3 SSD, the size, beacuse there was a big step up in price to go bigger than 120 at the time I purchased it, and I don't feel the need to install games on it. Corsair, just beacuse it was cheapest at the time, most of the SSD's ran sandforce 3, no matter what brand you bought anyway...(In that pricerange...)

STORAGE:

For all my movies, and music I have 3 old Samsung Spinpoint F1 750gig, back in the day they had big cache (were fast), and were pretty reliable. For my games I use a 500gb WD Black, that a friend sold me cheap, not the size I would have gone for, but beggers can't be choosers.

BACKUP:
For my backup I use a Lacie 2tb USB2.0 drive, to back up everything important, like pics, scool stuff and so on. Had really bad experiances with Maxtor external HDD's in the past, and really good ones with Lacie, if i'd buy today tough i'd probably go WD (no not to get extra credit) :)

NAS:

Here comes the sad part, About a year ago I bought a Netgear readynas DUO V2, so cheap that I could afford it. Threw two old Spinpoint F1's in there,that uesd to be in my PC (RAID 1 of cuorse). Worked fine for a few months but then the NAS started hanging, and disapperaing from the network, a couple of times a week. Noticed that my HDDs wasn't on the supported hardvare list (should have checked I know, new to this whole NAS thing). So now I have a perfectly good NAS just sitting around.(even if there would be a problem with the unit itself, I have no way of proving it without certified drives...) Being in school I haven't had the cash to go for 2 WD Red 3 tb, since the're a lot more expensive here in Finland than over there in america.

Oh, and why I need the NAS is so that I can keep eveything important there, like my Gopro movies,pictures and documents, and have a one disc redundancy. Then I can do backups from the Nas to external HDD, to be as safe as I can afford to be. 

Now, to keep me from losing sleep, I have to manually backup from my PC to the external HDD, since the drives are old and I'dont trust then that much any more...

Just to specify, I'm not competing for the first price, only the runner ups =)

My current storage is a single 1TB WD hard drive. Is all i can afford right now, i would like to add and Ssd at some point and more hard drives when i have money. It would be great to win a 4TB, it will help a lot with my job, im a graphic designer and my current system doesnt help much. Ty for this giveaway.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/Ortiz.Cynthia (Ortiz Cynthia)

Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/DG_Cyn/status/378058994700414976 (@DG_Cyn)

Google+ Link: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106937956594555768688/posts/NPCQtFudiPJ

Well I am using a 256 gb 840 series samsung SSD with a 1TB WD Black. I thought about other drives because sometimes they were cheaper, but I heard that WD Black is the way to go if i want performance....well, i don't regret the buy but my only problem is that my 1tb is getting full....so i guess 4b would be the way to go? :D

well i have one 2 tb external drive i use as a backup ( it was given to me for free and it's one of the new western digital passports so i can't open it up and just plug it in)

i have one 320gb drive for my os, because originally that's how i started out with just the one drive,

later i helped out at an IT place and they had broken computers they said i could have them and i scavenged 3 250 gb drives.

i have those all on raid 0, so i am striping those and then the 3rd one as  just random stuff and as a share point for streaming stuff to others in my house then i also have a small server i built out of spare computer parts and use that as my media server im only 16 and don't have a jopb really i just fix other peoples computers and put the money into ebay auctions and continue upgrading, my prize possession is my hd4850 which i got for $23.

-tys346 :D

Hi

I have got an Intel 120GB 520 series SSD for my boot drive and for basic programs like word etc. this is so I get the best speed possible. I also have a 1TB WD black for all of my games, photos and music I am using a WD drive as I have used them before and I know they are very reliable, with only like 30GB left  :( I also have 2 older 80Gb WD drives to back up important data. Would love to one day get another TB or 2, but I can't afford that at the moment so that will still be quite a while before that happens.

rocking a 1TB WD Black from about 3-4 years ago thats still going strong with a 128GB OCZ vertex 4 SSD I picked up in Febuary because it was on sale.

SSD gives me great boot times and the WD Black gives me good storage space for my massive Steam library.

Sweet.

Actually i'm using two Western Digital My Book Essential 3.0 4TB.

Why ? Was able to get them with great discount as a plus side it makes me mobile. As a downside i got extra wires and stuff outside my case.

I currently only have two laptops, One with a 500GB HDD and the other with a 750GB HDD. I am currently looking into staring up a desktop build for my room in college that I plan to have a 100GB-250GB SSD along with some kind of HDD that will allow me to partition it so I can have all my files for School and programming in one partition and all my small gaming and important files for other organizations I belong to on the other. Currently I am hard on cash because the high cost of college and know that WD makes great products and would love to add this great hardware to my new system.

1.) I'm running a Vertex 4 128GB SSD in my HTPC/games machine as it offered the best all-round performance in my price bracket at the time. I've also got 2 x 2TB drives for video, one a Seagate Barraccuda, the other a Hitachi 3000 series. These were purchased because they were the cheapest 2TB drives available at the time from reputable manufacturers. They are not set up in a RAID config as Raid 1 wouldn't give me enough storage and with RAID 0, if a drive failed I'd loose the lot, whereas as seperate drives I would only loose half of it! I currently don't have a backup for my video files. :(

In my 'mini' server I have a Samsung Spinpoint M8 500GB which is used to store my music and documents. This drive seemed to offer the best performance for a 500GB 2.5" drive when I bought it (excluding raptors!) This lot is backed up on a ADATA DashDrive Elite HE720 which I own because I won it! :)

2.) Facebook Share (mporcas): https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/mporcas/posts/10151581618351104

3.) Twitter Share (mporcas): https://twitter.com/mporcas/status/378069621489676288

alright here goes.

I have an plextor m5s 256g for my boot drive and scratch drive for adobe programs. I got it mainly because it was on sale at the time i bought it, plus it's a nice drive with somewhat good specs.

as for mass storage i have a single seagate barcudda 2Tb drive mainly for all my dvd rips, BD rips, tv shows, anime, games etc. Got it also because of the price, size and i only trust WD and Seagate for my data.

Since BD rips are 30+Gb each i was planning to buy a nas, would like some free drives to go with it :P

Facebook share from (Ted Lee): https://www.facebook.com/powerunlimitedted/posts/536703869735399
Twitter share with Twitter handle @tedlee1025: https://twitter.com/tedlee1025/status/378069616720740352

Google+ share with nickname (powerunlimited): https://plus.google.com/u/0/104220644429715631981/posts/EAfWCCMoJ6R

PoWerUNlimited (Game/Video Editing)

←←←←←←←→→→→→→→

CPU: i7-4770K OC @4.5GHz  (Noctua NHD-14)

MB: ASUS Z87-pro

Memory: Kingston HyperX-1600 8Gx2

Video Card: MSI GTX780 3GD5(stock cooler)

Power: Seasonic SSR-650RM

HD: plextor m5s 256g + seagate barcudda 2Tb

BD : Asus BC-12B1ST/B

Case: NZXT Phantom 310 (white/blue) 

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 (DK9008S2) Cherry MX White/White BL

Mouse: SteelSeries KANA (White)

←←←←←←←→→→→→→→

I have a 3 GB Seagate Drive about 10 times my laptops hard drive.

From My experience about the right ratio.

WG

I run a 500GB Seagate barracuda in my system and also have a 2TB external hard drive for backups and storage I can't fit on the 500GB hard drive. The reason why I run the 500GB is because it was the cheapest hard drive I could find. 

Twitter share with Twitter handle @iiRandom_ : https://twitter.com/iiRandom_/status/378072903893262336

Facebook share from John Smith : https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=590608607668755&id=100001588629584

I'm running, an OCZ Vertex 3 128GB, a 1TB, Seagate barracuda and an WD 2TB green drive.

I originally bought the Seagate around 4 years ago, i had everything stored on that. Os, games, movies, you name it. After that started getting full, i bought myself the WD 2TB green. All i needed it for was mass storage. I ended up using it for my 400gb of games. Later, i bought the OCZ SSD, from what I read it was a great SSD, so i went with it and have never looked back. It peaks out at about 556 mbps read and 525mbps write (that's about advertised spec). I am currently using about 2.3tb of space on all the hard drives combined. 

Keep up the stuff Linus, Slick and the team. You guys are great, thanks for the giveaway!

4770k @ 4.6Ghz, 760 SLI, OCZ Vertex 3 128GB, 16GB 1600mhz RAM, Hyper 212 Evo, 750w PSU

1. At the moment I am using a 120GB Intel 520 SSD for my main boot drive due to the insane boot times and overall faster OS. For my game storage and Fraps recordings I am using a 1TB WD Green that I am long term borrowing from a friend but the space is running low. My last HDD is a 160GB WD Blue that was my first drive in this computer, right now its just used for storing some music.

2. Facebook share from (Nick Moore): (https://www.facebook.com/nickDJmoore/posts/550867168294220)

3. Twitter share @NickDJMoore: (https://twitter.com/Bam_Sucks/status/378072671612710913)

4. Google+ Share (https://plus.google.com/u/0/116498907894666935950/posts/g1jaPie3nw9)

My storage config consist of one 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" SSD and one 600GB 3.5" Samsung HDD. The SSD is primarily for booting my OS and the HDD is primarily for file storage. Believe it or not, I ran this config cuz it was my first time using a SSD and I wanted to test things out and see if it was worth it or not, but also allow me to have adequate storage to last me a while. Well, it's been at least a couple of years and I gotta say...it was totally worth it.

Shared on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/wing2k12/status/378075381678346240

Shared on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/kel.ma.35/posts/216469298518020

Shared on Google+:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107219624756935490676/posts/b82GWrShenK

Awesome job WD for supporting linus and giving him awesome stuff to give away.

256g scandisk ultra for boot and frequently used games/programs, Because it performs well enough for me and was cheap.

Storage

2 TB WD caviar Black for game library

2 TB Seagate barrcuda for movies/music/personal documents  

In my desktop I have 3 x 120gb OCZ vertex 3's.  One is the boot drive and runs solo, the other two are in a RAID 0 and are mainly for games and all three are because I like the speed.  I purchased these because at the time, they were the best performance per dollar that I could afford.  For mass storage, I have 2 x 2TB WD red drives in a RAID 1 so ensure I don't lose my data.  I have WD reds because that is what Linus suggested and i needed something that could run 24/7.

Twitter (@inferno22290) : https://twitter.com/inferno22290/status/378080898781941762

We have several devices in the family all with storage which should be backed-up. My own rig has a 5yr old Seagate 1TB drive on which I have some work documents, an SQL database, games, music and movie downloads. The wife and two teenagers each have laptops with 640GB HDD (I dread to imagine what they are storing).  We have an external USB backup device but they simply can't be bothered to get it and use it and i just KNOW that when they lose data they'll come crying to me.  My plan is to have a NAS box on the wireless network, with a large common area for music etc and each of us with private volumes.  Ideally I'd like to go RAID5, but it's going to be expensive and I've put the project on hold because the wife has unreasonable expectations of a getaway vacation.  These drives would be a game winner for this project.

Running an old school 32G WD Raptor as boot drive( yes it really does need to go),  Seagate 1TB, for storage mainly for music as its pretty much all .wav and also a tonne of samples for music production. Lastly a 1TB seagate external for my back up and portable HD for when I'm playing out with Searto and my laptop.

For my laptop, I'm using an Intel 335 240 GB SSD as my boot drive and I have a 500 GB backup drive. I'm using that configuration because I want SSD speed on everything I do, but also backup redundancy with the slower HD. The SSD wasn't cheap, but the computer was, so it evened out.

I also have 2x WD Red 2TB in a RAID 1 configuration in my home server, where I store all essential personal files. I'm using that configuration to ensure redundancy and constant access to my files no matter where I am and what device I'm on.

i have a hackintosh which is running 128gb ocz ssd + 500gb wd blue drive for mac and 2x 500gb green drive in Riad 0 for windows
i use my computer to edit it videos on the mac and on windows i use it to play games  and store videos, musics, games, etc
i had a 500 GB blue but sadly my friend dropped it 
now i need to find a place to store my videos and i a running low on space  :( 
and i am keeping my videos from .mov and .H263 to  .mp4   :(
I Would love to get another TB or 2, but I can't afford that at the moment so that will still be quite a while before that happens.

My set up here at home is a fairly standard Seagate 1TB 7200rpm hard drive. I was trying to keep my pc build under $1000, and an SSD just didn't have the performance benefits in Gaming (small storage space means few games get installed on it) that I needed vs something like a nicer graphics card.

I'm now a few upgrades down the road, and I still have just the one hard drive.