WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I use a 120 GB Corsair Force GT SSD for the boot/OS drive, I use this for the speed. I also have a 750 GB WD Black drive for use with all my steam games and my main applications. And lastly I have a 3 TB Seagate that I use for holding my music, movies, and whatever else I feel like putting on there. I run this set up currently because all the drives were of a good price when I bought them, but I would love to have a NAS someday once I have the funds.

Hey! A few months ago I built my first build in a Prodigy and just recently switched the Silverstone SG06 for traveling purposes. I have a 500gb WD blue atm and I'm also running an OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD, I thought 500gb would be enough for games and movies etc. but no.. I use my SSD as my boot drive and also store a few games such as Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield 3, huge games right there. I can only fit one HDD in my system and was planning on getting a massive hard drive probably another WD 2tb drive very soon. It would also benefit my friend in which we both have the same issue(darn humble bundle). Thanks!

i have a corsair  force series 3 ssd 120gb for boot and bf3, also a wd black 640gb and a 500gb Hitachi but my wd black is going bad. my hatachi is maxed out with my steam library. So i need to get another drive.   

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount

I am currently using one 1TB WD Blue drive. I just built my computer about a month ago and I was trying to save money by buying just one drive. I also had multiple friends recommend the WD Blue. 

I also have an 8GB flash drive I use on occasion :)

Hey LTT!

Right now in my computer I run a single 1TB WD caviar Black hard drive because at the time I built my PC it was all I could afford. I store everything on that one drive, including backup for important work related material. It's currently full to the point where I have to sacrifice game saves to prioritize work files. I have a small 250gb external dive that I can store pictures on and things I dont need to access regularly. I do all the finances for a small Ice Cream stand in New England. We are a very small business with about 15 employees, but the shop is my life! If I ever lost any of my data It would be terrible! We aren't a huge corporation that can afford to charge expensive computer parts to the business so I end up paying for all of it out of my own pocket. A 4TB drive would make my life (and my business) run so much more smoothly! 

The stand can be found @ www.meadowlandsicecream.com if anyone is interested in checking us out :)

I have a desktop that I use for gaming and working, with an Intel 520 240 GB SSD as boot drive and a Samsung 840 240 GB SSD for games and data. For the mass storage I have an Hp ProLiant MicroServer with an OCZ 120 GB SSD as boot drive and 4x 3TB WD Red NAS for my storage spaces, 1 TB in mirror for the family photos and films, and the rest in parity for the rips of my DVD and Blu-ray.

I currently run a 500 gb seagate internal hdd at 7200 rpm, and also have a 750 gb external seagate hdd for storage/extra space. I run this setup because i found the 750 gb external for 40$, and the 500gb because it was affordable at the time. I have filled my internal with steam games, and am using the external to store lower quality steam games because it runs at usb 3.0 and not sata.

My home PC wears numerous hats - it's a work computer (I'm a freelancer), a gaming rig, and a media server for the TV, tablets, and smartphones my family has via Plex Media Server. On the storage end of things, I'm working with a 120Gb Samsung SSD partitioned into 80Gb (work Windows) and 40Gb (gaming Windows) drives, and 3 WD HDDs - a 250Gb, a 750Gb, and a 3Tb. The reasoning behind the odd HDD sizes basically boils down to it just being the natural process of computer upgrades over 15 years. Every time I need more space and get a new, larger drive, I install a new Windows on that drive, but my lazy arse never gets around to completely transferring all the data from the previous drive. :P

In the event of a crash, the only files I'd be devastated to lose are my photos, so I have those backing up across a few of the HDDs. Since the building I live in is made out of stone and concrete, not wood, I'm not as worried about a fire taking out my entire setup. As far as work files, 95% of what I do is done to remote servers, which have their own backup systems in place. The few work files I deal with locally I store in my Dropbox folder, which both allows me to work from multiple locations, as well as serves as both a backup and rudimentary version control system.

Ideally, I'd like to transfer all my video files over to a multi-terabyte NAS or HTPC - as long as it can run Plex Media Server, I don't really care - leaving me with a couple TB of HDD storage and the SSD as a boot drive. I'd also like to join the SSD partitions and get another SSD instead, as both my work and gaming partitions are running out of room.

Twitter tweet: https://twitter.com/sandwich_hlp/status/377916264481439744

Facebook post: http://www.facebook.com/sandwiched/posts/10151565270925855

Other community post at Hard Light Productions (shameless plug: did you play Freespace 2? Come be astounded at what we've accomplished with it!): http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85548.0

Keep on NOM NOM NOMMING!

Samsung 830 128GB

OS Install and most frequently used applications/games.

2 x Samsung F3 500GB (RAID-0)

Games only.  Steam is on here as well.  Maximum speed with no regard for reliablity.

2 x WD5000AAKS 500GB (RAID-1)

These drives used to be in RAID-0 until a year ago.  They will be 6 years old this November.  I put them in RAID-1 because I don't trust aged drives.

WD1600BEVS 160GB

Laptop drive that came with my ThinkPad.  Put a 320GB WD in the ThinkPad and I've been using this one for music.

I use a Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD as my boot drive, then as my primary storage harddrive, I use a Seagate barracuda 1TB. Both of these I chose because of price. As by backup harddrive I use an old Toshiba 500GB external harddrive which uses crappy Mini USB and extremely slow.

I'm running a laptop with a 640GB 7200rpm hard disk.  With a 750GB USB3 External drive for backups.

I'm running the 640GB drive because it came with my laptop and I don't have the funds for an ssd right now.

The 750GB drive was a present, and I use it because it came at no cost to me.

My link on twitter: https://twitter.com/railbot66

I run a 120gb ssd in my laptop as the boot drive and an external hard drive in the form of my old 750GB hdd. I run this because im currently building a pc and I just got my new OS, I would like to win the hard drive so I can use it in my new pc

I have a 60gig corsair ssd as boot only a 500gig wd hdd as a movie drive/back up that i need to upgrade for space and redundancy. Which this giveaway would be awsome for. And i have 2 wd 250gig hdd in raid 0 for games only and a 1tb wd hdd just for storage.

I'm using an Intel 330 series 120GB SSD for my bootdrive and 2 samsung spinpoints. One at 750GB and one at 1TB.

I use the SSD for OS and some softwares. I wanted an SSD for fast boottimes and this was the cheapest 120GB at that time. I use my 750GB for movies/games/whatever. Finally I use my 1tb for desktop recording and also filming I've done. It's not safe but as a student this was the cheapest way to get the storage capacity I needed.

60% of the time it works every time!

My useless Twitter updates: @BleakBrandon 

Well its about time i finally make an account, just as good a time as any.

My main boot drive is a 120GB Patriot Pyro SSD. It was on sale and i was looking for something big enough for my OS, Photoshop and Illustrator. It was my first SSD and I've been very happy with it

My second drive is a 1TB WD Black. It holds the majority of my other programs and all of my games. I wanted to have all of my games separate from my OS so that when i have to reinstall Windows i don't need to re-download anything.

My third drive is a 500GB WD Blue. I just wanted a separate drive for all of my long term storage and infrequently used files.

I would like to upgrade my SSD to at least 240GB, preferably a Samsung or Intel drive. Also my 1TB is getting a bit full so ill need to invest in something a bit larger soon im sure. 

I have a 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, a 1.5TB Samsung HDD I pulled out of a Buffalo NAS, and a third 500GB WD Caviar that I pulled out of an old MacBook Pro. I use my SSD as my boot drive, with only OS and minimal programs on it, with the 1.5TB holding the bulk of my data, coming in at about 800GB worth of media like games and movies. My 500GB drive is used for sharing movies and music between friends. I had a 1TB Seagate Barracuda prior to taking my 1.5TB HDD out of my NAS, my Barracuda was broken when I was putting my computer together, scraping some parts from my old build, I was installing my OS on it for the first time as I dropped my phone on it and destroyed the disc. I then bought my HyperX 3K and began using my Samsung HDD.

OKAY... PEOPLE ARE NOT READING THIS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T POST ABOUT WHY YOU RUN THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE (ex: it was cheap, I didn't trust SSD, my friend recommended it, etc) YOU WILL NOT WIN. See full rules below.

INTRODUCTION

Western Digital is taking a "go big or go home" approach to at least two things right now. One is the all new 4TB 3.5" Red NAS-optimized hard drive, and the other is this giveaway. Western Digital provided us with an incredibly generous EIGHT 4TB Red drives to give away. Because these drives are RAID-optimized, we thought it would make sense to group up the prizes so that you guys can run them the way they're meant to be run!

mxcCU5I.png

Again... HUGE thanks to Western Digital for making this giveaway possible. They've been so supportive of Linus Tech Tips. They sponsored our trip to Computex, sponsored our trip to PAX, and they're giving awesome stuff away to our community :D

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE SPONSOR MESSAGES BELOW!

SPONSOR MESSAGES

1. Check out this excellent review of the WD Red 4TB over at Storage Review. These guys are awesome and know far more about testing drives than we ever will!

kM4plOy.png

2. Check out the WD Red lineup even if you're not planning to enter the contest: http://amzn.to/15wPO8o

3. Check out this video outlining the advantages of WD's Red lineup of drives: 

WD RED 4TB GIVEAWAYS RULES & REGULATIONS 

I decided to split things up into one GRAND PRIZE and two runner up prizes. The big winner (who will be drawn first) gets FOUR 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's right. FOUR. That's enough to store 12TB of data in RAID 5, or 8TB of data in RAID 1. Each runner up will receive TWO 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's enough for 4TB of RAID1 safe storage! This is a Linus Tech Tips giveaway (WD is providing the drives to us to decide what we want to do with them) so it's WORLDWIDE!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Facebook

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Twitter

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing a link to this giveaway announcement thread in some other community (forums, social networks, super-active community websites other than linustechtips.com like Digg... etc). We aren't trying to spam so make sure you are sharing with people who you genuinely think will care about it!

You can get a maximum of 4 entries by including links in your post to the three eligible sharing places. Here is an example of what an optimal maximum entry (4) post would look like:

1. I don't have a desktop, but I run an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my boot drive because it was a great price, and offers great speed with a 5 year warranty. I don't keep any storage drives in my system because I use spotify for all of my music and I don't watch many movies, but I do have a 1TB external USB3 drive that has 1-touch back up, so I plug that in once in a while so that if my laptop gets lost I will still have my data. 

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): (insert verifiable link here)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @Example: (insert verifiable link here)

4. Community Site share with nickname (nickname goes here): (insert verifiable link here)

The contest closes September 30th, 2013 and the winner will be contacted after we've had a chance to tabulate the entries. Good luck everyone! Thanks for participating, and a big thanks again to our sponsor, WD!

OKAY... PEOPLE ARE NOT READING THIS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T POST ABOUT WHY YOU RUN THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE (ex: it was cheap, I didn't trust SSD, my friend recommended it, etc) YOU WILL NOT WIN. See full rules below.

INTRODUCTION

Western Digital is taking a "go big or go home" approach to at least two things right now. One is the all new 4TB 3.5" Red NAS-optimized hard drive, and the other is this giveaway. Western Digital provided us with an incredibly generous EIGHT 4TB Red drives to give away. Because these drives are RAID-optimized, we thought it would make sense to group up the prizes so that you guys can run them the way they're meant to be run!

mxcCU5I.png

Again... HUGE thanks to Western Digital for making this giveaway possible. They've been so supportive of Linus Tech Tips. They sponsored our trip to Computex, sponsored our trip to PAX, and they're giving awesome stuff away to our community :D

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE SPONSOR MESSAGES BELOW!

SPONSOR MESSAGES

1. Check out this excellent review of the WD Red 4TB over at Storage Review. These guys are awesome and know far more about testing drives than we ever will!

kM4plOy.png

2. Check out the WD Red lineup even if you're not planning to enter the contest: http://amzn.to/15wPO8o

3. Check out this video outlining the advantages of WD's Red lineup of drives: 

WD RED 4TB GIVEAWAYS RULES & REGULATIONS 

I decided to split things up into one GRAND PRIZE and two runner up prizes. The big winner (who will be drawn first) gets FOUR 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's right. FOUR. That's enough to store 12TB of data in RAID 5, or 8TB of data in RAID 1. Each runner up will receive TWO 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's enough for 4TB of RAID1 safe storage! This is a Linus Tech Tips giveaway (WD is providing the drives to us to decide what we want to do with them) so it's WORLDWIDE!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Facebook

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Twitter

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing a link to this giveaway announcement thread in some other community (forums, social networks, super-active community websites other than linustechtips.com like Digg... etc). We aren't trying to spam so make sure you are sharing with people who you genuinely think will care about it!

You can get a maximum of 4 entries by including links in your post to the three eligible sharing places. Here is an example of what an optimal maximum entry (4) post would look like:

1. I don't have a desktop, but I run an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my boot drive because it was a great price, and offers great speed with a 5 year warranty. I don't keep any storage drives in my system because I use spotify for all of my music and I don't watch many movies, but I do have a 1TB external USB3 drive that has 1-touch back up, so I plug that in once in a while so that if my laptop gets lost I will still have my data. 

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): (insert verifiable link here)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @Example: (insert verifiable link here)

4. Community Site share with nickname (nickname goes here): (insert verifiable link here)

The contest closes September 30th, 2013 and the winner will be contacted after we've had a chance to tabulate the entries. Good luck everyone! Thanks for participating, and a big thanks again to our sponsor, WD!

I only have a 125GB HDD because this is a old pc that my mom used to use  and i started building better parts and one thing i still need is a new hard drive because mine is full and i want to put more games on my pc but it is not possible it will mean the world for me to win thanks 

I am using a 120gb Kingston HyperX 3K sdd for my boot drive because I saw a lot of your videos about them and wanted one instead of just a HDD, also I have a 80gb Seagate Barracuda drive (for games) that my dad pulled out of a $50 pc from his work because I couldn't afford another hard drive.

I only have a 125GB HDD because this is a old pc that my mom used to use  and i started building better parts and one thing i still need is a new hard drive because mine is full and i want to put more games on my pc but it is not possible it will mean the world for me to win thanks 

I currently run a 2TB HDD that came with my computer which really hasn't been very fast in the past few months I've used it, plus, I record videos for YouTube and it can fill up extremely quickly. I use this basic configuration because this was my first computer I have ever purchased.

1. Facebook share from GreatrMC: http://www.facebook.com/greatr.mc/posts/199753186862237

2. Twitter share with Twitter handle @GreatrMC: https://twitter.com/GreatrMC/status/377923791885590529

My Storage

128GB ssd: I use this drive for windows and games(using steam mover) so I can get quick boot/load time.

2TB HDD: I use this for ALL of my files except Windows files and game files.

160GB HDD I pulled from a PS3: This used to be for windows back-up, then it became a drive that I could boot to Ubuntu, AND now I use it for testing files for my Game servers.

Good luck to all, and I like some of your setups!

im running a  samsung 830 128gb i got it so i can be the first person to load in league of legends because thats what makes you cool

Nice Giveaway.

Well, i have a hyperX 3k ssd 128gb for boot (its a very fast ssd) and a seagate momentos xt 750gb SSHD for mass storage (got this because it was offered)

i currently have one WD 320gb blue drive as my boot drive drive then i have 3 separate drives for storage and they are one 250gb blue, one 120gb seagate drive, and finally one 80gb maxtor drive. The reason i have this setup like this is because i am poor, i cannot afford lager drives and all of my hard drives were bought used.

i posted this on facebook too link>https://www.facebook.com/christopher.a.klosinski?hc_location=stream