WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

For my personal storage configuration I use a 120gb Samsung 840 SSD and an old SATA 2 1TB Seagate Barracuda for Storage. I use the hard drive because it came with my first pre-build pc, that I just updated time by time. For me this was to slow, so I decided to buy a SSD. I heard many ggood things about the Samsung ones, and it was cheap, so Idecided to buy it. 

You can see my build log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/31584-razers-edge/ It was build log of the week.

I am currently running a 250gb Hitachi 7200rpm drive. I am running this because I have just built a pc and havent had the time nor money to get a bigger storage device.

I'm using a 1 TB drive from an external hard drive... I'm very cheap :P.

Currently using 2x 128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD's in RAID-0 as my boot drives due to my speed addiction and need for a responsive computer for my daily tasks, and use a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive to store all my music, photos, documents and games as they take up a metric butt-tonne of space and don't want to use too much space on the SSD setup. Been meaning to get some form of backup storage but don't really have the cash at the moment and working my ass off in college. Lost 770GB of music back in 2009 and don't want that to happen again!

// i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz // Noctua NH-D14 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (2x 8GB ) // 2x Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD RAID-0 Boot // Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm Steam / Data Drive // Gigabyte Z77X-D3H // Corsair TX850 // ASUS DirectCU II GTX 670 4GB OC // CoolerMaster HAF X nVidia // QPAD MK-80 // Logitech G700 // Windows 8 Professional x64 //

Great give away perfect timing. I could really use some WD's for my NAS.

1: I have a Apple MacBook Pro with a Kingston SVP200 240gb, the SSD was given to me for doing some work for my friend. After i got it i saw you reviews of the Samsung 840 and was kind of sad I didn't got one of those.

I have a Synology 413 (if you want storage go big ;) for mass storage current have 2x WD Red 3tb and 2x WD Green 2TB. The WD Red was by your recommendation, and the WD green are old drives i had lying around (WD red was not available at that time). The 2x WD Green has a S.M.A.R.T error, so in some point i have to save up for some new WD Reds.

I configured the Synology to the SHR (synology hybrid RAID), I believe that it is the same as RAID 5, for both max storage and decent failure prevention.

2: Facebook username dylfendotdk

3: Tweeter @dylfen

1. I currently run a 1TB Western Digital Esseentials External Drive hooked up to my Smart TV to store media content, a 750GB Seagate Barracuda hooked up to my Raspberry Pi running XBMC and a 250GB WD Caviar in my rather ancient warhorse of a PC. Recently lost a 1TB Hitachi drive and contained data - so considering a switch to SSD in the future. All these drives are maxed out - I'm something of a hoarder!! Prefer WD drives through experience no - not that I am being a sycophant or anything.

3. https://twitter.com/RichardTracz1/status/377911411843690496

only a 2tb hard drive because when i got my computer that the only stoage i could afford at that time

I am was, running an array of 4 x 2 Tb Seagate Drives and I have now had a second drive die and go to heaven. I now have a definite lack of volume.  Hmmm.

I am running my OS on a 250GB Samsung 840. I was looking for a budget ssd but didn't want to compromise on quality so it was either 840 Non Pro or Crucial M4. Found a 840 for cheap first. I chose around the 240GB mark for ssd size as I want to install a number of programs that would utilize the ssd's speed. I feel 128GB is the minimum size for running an OS and at that, you won't fit many programs onto it. 500GB is complete overkill for average user. 240 is sweet spot.

For a secondary drive I chose a 1TB WD Blue. I chose the blue as I was still on a budget (would have gotten black) but wanted a fast enough drive that could be used to hold general programs (that wouldn't benefit from the ssd) and all documents. I felt the WD Green would have slowed down the overall experience of the "OS on ssd" feeling as it will dictate the response time of the start menu and my libraries folder. I have all of my libraries set to my hdd as it makes fresh installs much easier. Especially with Ninite and not having to download & reinstall all of my steam/origin games.

https://twitter.com/smjpl/status/377909365388214273

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

i only have samsung 120gb ssd 

my budget was short and i wanted experience ssd's speed but now i have to delete other games to play other games 

So, I run 3 Samsung SSDs. all 120 Gb models. and thats it. The reason why I run this is because A, the drives were on sale, and B, I really really need speed.... I currently don't have anything other than that in terms of storage. I have an empty NAS, but I don't think that counts. :3 

So, I run 3 Samsung SSDs. all 120 Gb models. and thats it. The reason why I run this is because A, the drives were on sale, and B, I really really need speed.... I currently don't have anything other than that in terms of storage. I have an empty NAS, but I don't think that counts. :3 

post-37285-0-88737400-1378937170.gif

I use a 128 GB OCZ Vertex 4 for my OS and programs, a 2TB Seagate Barracuda for games (got it for cheap), and a 2 TB WD Green drive for mass storage. I really like having my desktop extremely fast and having enough space for all games and files. I also have an old P4 that I recently turned into a NAS, although I am only using the one old 120 GB drive it had for backing up my backups. 1+ to WD for all the support of LTT!

I'm currently running a 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K as my boot drive, storing applications I use on a regular basis, and a few games.

It was highly recommended by Logan from Tek Syndicate, and since I found one on sale around Christmas... I JUMP IN IT. 

I also run a 2TB Seagate Barracuda, for storing games (since I have a butt-ton on Steam and GOG), as well as some other stuff (like music, movies, etc).

It was only 10$ more than the 1TB, so I thought why not, and got it. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 3.4 GHz | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr 3 @ 1150 MHz core/6300 MHz memory | Motherboard: Some crap OEM H67 mATX board | RAM: 16GB Patriot G2 Series Division 4 @ 1333 MHz | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i | Mouse: CM Storm Inferno | Keyboard: crap OEM keyboard (Soon to be replaced with a CM Storm Quickfire TK) | Headphones: Audiotechnica ATH-M50's | Speakers: Corsair SP2500's

i have a 120 gb mushkin ssd as my main boot, and for other software. Another 120 gb for all my games, and 3.5 gbs of HDD memory for storage, but i need more storage. i need this 4tb red HDD...I NEED IT.

I have a 512gb OCZ Vertex 4 SSD as a boot drive and for main programs and two 2TB WD Caviar Blacks in Raid 1 for all my media and games. I would love to get an internal drive because my RAID 1 setup is filled to the top.

I have a 350GB WD Caviar Blue that came stock in my pre-built PC (I wasn't that much into custom PCs at the time) and a Seagate Barracuda 500GB drive that I took out of a crap external enclosure. The OS and programs are on my WD drive and all my media and fraps recordings are saved onto my Seagate drive. I did this because just the 350 or just the 500 wouldn't have been enough storage for me.

VERY COOL Giveaway!!

In my PC, I currently have a Patriot Wildfire 120GB SSD as boot drive.  Got that when it came out about 2 years ago since it ways pretty much the fastest drive out there at the time.  I also have a 2TB WD Black HDD for games, media and pretty much every thing else.  There is also a 500GB WD Green in there, for other storage.  It used to be in an external enclosure, but the PCB in the enclosure died so I salvaged the drive from it.

I've been looking at the Red's for a while now. I'm actually planing on building a NAS to connect my laptop, PS3 and smartphone, but I don't really have the funds right now.  This would of course kickstart the project!

Facebook Link: Jean-Francois Daigle : https://www.facebook.com/jeanfrancois.daigle.31/posts/10151867642124400

Twitter Link: jfdaigle95 : https://twitter.com/jfdaigle95/status/377920347019812864

I'm currently using 1 256gb Samsung 830 that I use for my main system drive and a few games got it because it was fast and within my budget when I brought it last year. 2x 300gb wd raptors that I use for my steam folder that I've had for a few years and just moved over to my current system. I was running a 2tb seagate drive for mass storage but it started giving errors and I've been too lazy to rma it yet. Considering getting a nas for the house.

I use a 120 GB Corsair Force GT SSD for the boot/OS drive, I use this for the speed. I also have a 750 GB WD Black drive for use with all my steam games and my main applications. And lastly I have a 3 TB Seagate that I use for holding my music, movies, and whatever else I feel like putting on there. I run this set up currently because all the drives were of a good price when I bought them, but I would love to have a NAS someday once I have the funds.