WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I'm using 

128 gb OCZ ssd for boot drive

and 2tb WD Drive for other stuff

i have 2 seagate 320gb hdd in my laptop. i have it for 3 years now and i'm planning to buy a new desktop pc so this hard drives would really be usefull for me.

twitter (@hrovatin16_simon): https://twitter.com/hrovatin_simon/status/377801660816297984

facebook (simon hrovatin): https://www.facebook.com/simon.hrovatin

google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/109701333281864715880/posts

I have an ssd vertex 4 256GB and have got it for its speed to play games and its been great so far and for the 4 TB WD Red will be good to win so best of luck to everyone .

So I made the move from PS3 gaming to PC gaming about 2 months ago now. So this is my first ever PC build. I also do a lot of recording and editing. Therefore I got myself a 120gb Samsung SSD, and a 2tb Seagate HDD... the SSD, which I was recommended about from a friend, is for my startup and also I have BF3 as my only game on it, so I can get into servers quicker etc etc. The HDD I have, I am using for mass storage of everything else. Most of my programs, all other games, pictures, videos, music, documents etc etc. Also I record all my gameplays straight onto my HDD using DXtory because the recording files are huge! Have been planning to add more storage so I can solely record onto one HDD, however I shelled out my limit on this PC build and have to wait until next year... that being said, I am truly loving PC gaming and all the other features which come from having a PC and have convinced a lot of my friends to make the switch too lol

Twitter link: https://twitter.com/MattsWorld00

I am running a 500GB 7200RPM drive in my PC, a 160GB WD drive in my HTPC made from a notebook and I have a 500GB 3,5" external drive that stores all the stuff from my old PCs and my Easy migration file from when I switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

I can't even regularly back up my PC because I don't have enough storage so I go with the "hope nothing bad happens" approach.

The 500GB internal drive was in my pre-built PC, the 160GB 2,5" drive was in my notebook and I won the 500GB external drive in a school event. I don't have more drives because I'm saving up for different things (right now a mechanical keyboard).

Twitter:

https://twitter.com/sMaRT4698/statuses/377803120945815552

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

I have a 500gb WD 3200AAJS for my computer, OS and about 20 games

a 120GB corsair M4 SSD
two 2TB HDDs, a WD one I already had and a Seagate one I bought because of reccomendations

I have this config for boot and programs on the SSD then the HDDs are run in RAID for backups and a large amount of storage for a media libray and CAD files

I have a SSD samsung 830 128gb, that i recently bought, and a 1 tb hitachi (works from time to time, not always).I had this rig for about 2 years and i didnt have the money to expand from my hitachi that didnt work, a year after my hitachi broke i finally found some money to buy an ssd, the best decision i made. I live in Argentina were the electronics thing are reeealy expensive, and there are not always stock.So when i had the money to buy a ssd they didnt have ANY in stock, i was sooo angry, but in that moment a saw a post in a forum from a guy selling this samsung ssd, i bought it the same day i saw the post and finally i had a computer that didnt freeze and works exelent.That SSD was the best chrismas miracle that I receive, hahahahah. (i bought the ssd dicember 22).

If you see some grammatical error please let me know, so i can fix it and learn a better English :D

regards from Argentina

In my desktop PC, I have 2 120gb Samsung 840 PRO SSDs in JBOD. Quite happy with this pair. I always wanted to try SSD RAID0, but never did because the performance gain would be totally overkill and didn't justify the waste of disk space. I chose this configuration because of the huge performance gain of SSDs over HDDs.

In my laptop I replaced the original 5400 RPM HDD with a 80GB Intel X-25 G2. Gained automatic boost, obviously. I went for a SATA2 drive because of the laptop's chipset, and Intel's X-25 is arguably the best (overall) SSD for that chipset. So yeah, again, I wanted to boost the speed of my laptop which was bottlenecked by the HDD.

With 2 performance-centric computers, I had to find a way to store my huge library. Tired of fiddling with external drives, Windows' sharing feature, accounts, permissions, no active directory, WOL routines because I wanted to be able to access my files even when computers went to sleep, I finally bought a Synology NAS. BEST. THING. EVER. Now all my files are accessible from any LAN device (or WAN if I wanted). Management is extremely easy. I don't have to spend any time on it. It's obviously more secured (versus a windows share in XP). Footprint is VERY small. I even have my own personal Cloud Server. In a few words: peace of mind.

In that NAS, which is 1-bay, I have a 1TB HDD WD Green. I chose that one because it was at the time the most affordable (price per GB vs performance) drive available. Today it is 90% full. I have to monthly scan which files I can delete to make sure I don't run out of space. I always wanted to upgrade to a 2 or 4-bay NAS so if I win I'll definitely do that. The extra space and the NAS-Optimized RED drives would definitely be a HUGE step up.

Good luck to everyone!! :)

2. Facebook Share (Simon Bourgeois) : https://www.facebook.com/simon.bourgeois.923/posts/10151885615012359

3. Twitter Share (@msdx) : https://twitter.com/msdx/status/377807961449431040

4. Google+ Share (seksimon) : https://plus.google.com/107988446822015523326/posts/apCZquuisnL

I have a home server with 2x120gb hitchi and 1x160gb wd green.

I use 1x 160GB WD green for OS as I stole it from a Virgin Media TV box, and the 2x120gb were given to me by the grandparents for use for anything. And from this, my entire home Plex server, TS3 and more are run off it! :D

And my main PC uses 1x 120GB Samsung 840 as it was for sale at the time, with a 1TB WD Black for games ;P

aaaaaaaaaaaand finally my secondary PC uses a 120GB hitachi that was stolen from my MSI Wind U100 as it cost me £0 :) I would love for a new drive to add to my server!

entry 2: https://twitter.com/jay_walsh96/status/377806374870056960

--Xenon-VI - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4GHz 1.34V (Gib 4950X) - MSI MEG X570 Unify -  48GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600MHz - MSI WindForce // NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti @ 2GHz Core 7GHz Mem flashed with 350W BIOS (SOLD, Temporary 1660 waiting for 3090) - 240GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PCIE - OS Drive - 1TB SanDisk Ultra II SSD - 1TB Crucial BX500 SSD (SHIT, DONT BUY) - 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SSD - EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold - Lian Li O11D - 9x Corsair SP120RGB - Corsair Commander - Corsair Hydro X Pump/Res - 360mm Thicc Radiator - Hydro X CPU Block - 3090 Waterblock soon come 

1x Acer 27" XV273K 4K 144Hz G-Sync - 1x LG 24UD58 24" 3840x2160 60Hz - 1x Iiyama 28" 3840x2160 60Hz - Valve Index Headset! 

Corsair K95 Platinum RGB MX Reds & Corsair Dark Core RGB 
Philips Fidelio X2HR w/ JDSLabs Atom & Topping D10 DSD DAC

I have a 465GB Hitachi drive from 2010 that I got for cheap. I also have a 300GB WD External drive from 2007 that I fear is going to die soon.

Both drives are always full and I can't afford to buy a new hard drive until I can find another job.

The 300GB WD was original for backups but now it just below my desk gathering dust as it hold all my movies and half my games.

The 465Gb Hitachi holds my OS, majority of my Steam library and other miscellaneous data.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Well this is what I'm running.

- 1x Intel 520 120GB SSD - boot drive

- 2x Seagate 1TB Barracuda drives

- 1x 500GB Seagate Barracuda drive 

- 1x 300GB Samsung drive

- 1x 250GB WD drive

- 1x 1TB External Toshiba drive

A little bit messy but I needed the storage =p. Most of them are full. A few of these drives are very old and some are on the brink of failing.  

DATA HORDING wooooo!!!

1x random 160gb hardrive for os and programs and 1x 250gb wd black as my steam drive, why Because I am a broke student

i run a 60g ssd 500g blue wd and a 1tb passport. i use the ssd fo os but is has less than a g left so any update could break it. i use the 500g for games and im doing a course in coding so i put all my code on it it also only has 80g left and i use the 1tb for movies and music because i find its not fast anouth to record to and i have problems saving games to it.

1. As a boot drive, I run a Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD. At the time of purchase, it got great reviews especially from Tiny Tom Logan at OC3D. It looks great, performs great and is made by a brand which I trust. I use the SSD to install all of my applications along with a select few games which I feel benefit the most from being installed on an SSD.

In addition to this, I have two 2TB hard drives. The first is a WD Black Edition, which is mainly used for games that are too large to fit on the SSD and for Fraps recordings. I am not too concerned about backing up this drive since games can be downloaded again easily if they were lost. I chose the Black drive as it was the best performing 2TB drive at the time of purchase.

The second 2TB drive is a WD Green. This is my storage drive which contains all important information along with music, movies, pictures and software installers that I have collected over the years. Backing up the data on the Green drive is extremely important to me so I have a 2TB ZyXEL NSA310 NAS to make sure that the data stays safe and is also accessible to other devices inside and outside of my network. I use a backup system called SyncToy by Microsoft. I have set it up to echo the Green drive to the NAS at 3AM every morning so that any changes that have been made in the 24 Hour time period are updated on the NAS. I chose the WD Green since it had great power consumption and was extremely quiet while still providing admirable performance.

2. @StevoLatham: https://twitter.com/StevoLatham/status/377802420677386240

3. =ETS= Outcasst: http://bit.ly/18PGnNz

Right now i have a Unraid set up. If you havnt heard of it check it out. http://lime-technology.com/. This is a very good raid solution which is expandable, it can run on a old machine which is what i have done, so it was cheap. Right now I have it up to 6TB which is great for all my movies and backups and a 4TB Red would be a awesome addition. It also has redundancy which is nice.

Thanks

1. Well, I don't have a desktop PC yet, but I am going to buy one in near future. I was planning to put in there a 128GB SanDisk SSD for programs and OS, because it is fast and big enough, for mass storage (sound editing files, movies, music) I planned a 3TB Seagate, because it is cheap and a lot of storage for the price, because I am going to need it. Those VST files take a ton load of space on HDDs, so it was necessary.

2. @SSiim https://twitter.com/SSiim/status/377805180906921984

I have a 250GB 840 SSD with a WD 640GB blue drive. I use this configuration because I was too cheap to buy a new HDD so i just used my old one from some crap best buy pc. Oh, and because SSD's are fast.

I'm using corsair 120 SSD and a external Seagate 1TB HDD.

I'm using the SSD as my boot drive and the external drive for my storage. I had a Samgung 320GB HDD for storage but it dead with all of my stuff in it.  :D 

desktop:
- 120gb ssd, Samsung 830
- 500gb hdd, WD black
Waited a while before I jumped on the ssd bandwagon as the prices/capacity were constantly changing but there always seemed to be issues with the controllers as the drives were coming out and the general advice seemed to be "don't buy until a firmware update has been released". Bought the 830 for my boot drive when it was at a price point I liked and the reviews showed it be a solid drive. The 500gb WD black is now 5 years old and still spinning and used for temp storage (movies, games, etc).

server:
- 500gb hdd, WD black (boot)
- 7 x WD greens of varying sizes (storage pool)
Started using Windows Home Server when it first came out and enjoyed the ability to expand the storage pool by simply popping another drive in. I bought WD greens as the need arose because at the time they made the most sense; cheaper to buy and cheaper to run in a machine that's on 24/7 (and this was long before the reds came out). I stuck with WHS for a long time until I shafted myself when I added my first Advanced Format drive to the pool without first using the WD-Align utility. My lack of research lost me a lot of data and WHS was dying so I started looking my options to upgrade my storage&backup. Fast forward to today and most of those drives are now used in Server 2008 r2 with Flexraid. Hardware raid for me is an expense and complexity I don't have time for; I considered ZFS with its impressive feature-list but ended up using Flexraid; easily expandable, realtime&snapshot raid, and if the raid goes fubar the data is still readable on the drive. Current setup allows for two drives to die before I lose anything. It's worth mentioning this wd black is also 5years old (it was bought with the one currently in my desktop) and its still spinning; the server doesn't really require one but I'll probably replace it with an ssd (for the OS) when the time comes.

As for the storage pool, when these greens need replaced I'll more than likely be buying WD reds anyway as they're ideal for my setup. I prefer buying WD because the warranty periods are generally longer and WD's turnaround for replacing drives on warranty is pretty fast and painless.

I chose to run with a 80gb standard start up drive because I don't really use my computer for much else than gaming so it didn't seem necessary to get a bigger one. I also use a generic 500gb hard drive to keep all of my Steam games in because I love gaming and it holds plenty of space to store everything I need! Finally, I have a 750gb external hard drive to store all the scenes from student films I work on because it's got a great capacity and allows me to take tonnes of footage without worrying about it getting full.

In my PC:

I got two Samsung 830 120GB's in Raid 0, this is for my OS and the games I currently play. I have this setup because I wanted the speed of raid0 instead of one single SSD, and they were also cheaper than just one SSD with the same space. as I also just have OS and games I dont worry about crashes as I can just reinstall it all again.

I also have a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for general storage and a WD Green 2TB that had all my storage, but has been moved to...:

My NAS: I got 4x 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 that came out of some external enclosures, I bought these because they were cheaper than internal drives for some reason. These I put in a self built Freenas computer that I got set up in the attic, and they are running in RaidZ (Raid5), but thinking about buying one or two more and putting them in RaidZ2 (Raid6) incase one dies and then another one dies while rebuilding the raid array.

https://www.facebook.com/petter.angeltveit/posts/10151893987132177 - Facebook post

https://twitter.com/pangeltveit/status/377806865033228290 - Twitter Post

I have a Samsung SSD 120gb for fast boot and a WD 500gb caviar blue for all my other data.

main Rig :

1x  240GB Intel SSD 520 series (FW.400i) as OS, Applications and a few games.

2x WD 2TB Black Edition for games, big Applications and Storage. (Not Raid) 

1x WD Velociraptor 74GB (Old IDE) now used for testing new OS or educational purposes.

Old Workstation: (server) - Media Center(Servii), FTP, Webserver etc.

4x WD 1TB Black Edition in Raid 5 for Backup and important storage like pictures.

1x WD Velociraptor 36GB (old IDE) used for OS and Applications.

Nice to know my data is safe on my "Server" on the 3TB Raid5 partition.  lost 7 years of pictures and documents before i build the Raid5.... only know whats gone when you loose it....
Real nice to be able to reach my data everywhere on every device.