WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I use a 2TB HDD because i needed high capacity at a low cost, SSD's speed doesn't make much of a difference in gaming so there was no need to spend more

samsung 840 series 120GB running os, for the speed of course and 2 WD 1TB in raid 1 because no one wants to lose their files.

I7-4770K @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Z87-Deluxe | PNY GTX 780TI | 24GB of Ram |

2-120GB SSD's Raid 0|  2-WD 1TB Drives Raid 1 | Thermaltake sp-850m |

Corsair Air 540 | corsair H100i

I'm running a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. I need the storage space and couldn't afford an SSD or a nice performance drive like a WD Black.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

I have two Samsung 840 Pros in RAID 0 for speedy boots and a combined drive (for games+OS), and I have two Barracudas 2TB for my SSD RAID 0 in RAID 1 (for double backup :))

Facebook (Austin W.): https://www.facebook.com/austin.wang.9/posts/677162275646638

Twatter @austinwangg: https://twitter.com/austinwangg/status/375384046844387328

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

120gb ssd boot

60gb ssd scratch

2tb programs

2x2tb archive in raid 1

I've currently have a 500gb HDD in my laptop for the simple fact that in some use case scenarios I personally don't believe a SSD would always benefit me as I don't store too much valuable data other than a few video editing programmes but sooner or later I'll be upgrading this laptop to a 120gb SSD for my little sister for more reliability and consistency.

For myself I'm intending on to moving soon from this configuration to running  a desktop Samsung 840 250gb SSD and 2TB WD black. I think 250gb for a boot drive is more than enough for me because although 120gb/128gb is fine as well I'd prefer to know that I have a bit more space for data that is important. Using two terabyte wd black for my mass storage as I'm beginning to utilise more & more performance based drives to allow me to be capable of such things like video editing quickly, gameplays, podcasts and home storage for my family. These drives are basically equivalent in many ways of reliability and performance and thats why i need them

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

My desktop came with a standard 1 TB Seagate drive.  I use that for day to day storage as it is a simple, no fuss setup.  However as my storage needs change, it is time for me to consider other storage options.  .  

I currently use a 128GB SSD for the OS and a 1TB HDD for everything else.

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

I have a synology DS413j. I have 4x2tb in a RAID5 config. I use this to keep both my wife and my pictures centralized, so that if we had to grab one thing from the house and run, this would be it. We also have all our legally obtained tv shows and movies on it, and its played through XBMC on our tv computer. 

Twitter: https://twitter.com/262kwan/status/375388992482467840

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/isaac.kwan.3?hc_location=stream

Google+: https://plus.google.com/106054504300868344082/posts/C6uMtJkXH3f

I have the OCZ Vertex 4 128GB as my boot and main drive because at the time it was the fastest SSD around that you didn't have to go PCI-E for and I have a Samsung HD103SJ for games and backups,because it was extremely fast for a mechanical (Over 100MB/s) and fairly cheap, I backup my Vertex 4 weekly on a Sunday and then I have another Samsung HD103SJ that I keep unplugged in my PC at all times and I connect it once every month and back up my HD103SJ to it, incase of a power surge that destroys my SSD and my 103SJ I always have a backup that is less than a month old. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I've got a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb. In my experience with this SSD it's awesome and incredibly fast along with the HUGE 7 year warranty that comes with it! I have a crummy 500gb external drive I use for mass storage (films, games est..) but the drive is old now and is becoming a pain to move large files across in a sensible time scale. A 4TB WD Red would just be amazing! If I don't win here, I think I might start saving up to get one! (Going to be a while though!) The reason i went with a SSD first over a mass storage drive is because it was the first time that i had ever used and SSD in a build and was very excited to test out the performance of the device and see if it lived up to my expectations, which it most deffinatly did. Also because i have the said external HDD which would do untill i was able to afford better.

Re-Tweeted: https://twitter.com/JafaCakeMan

CPU: i7-3770K 4.5Ghz @ 1.235v   CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   Storage: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD/Western Digital Black 1TB 7200RPM

GPU: Asus DirectCU II GTX 770 2GB   Case: Cooler Master HAF XM   PSU: Corsair AX860 Platinum   Mouse: R.A.T. 9   Keyboard: CM Storm Ultimate Quickfire Cherry MX Blue

I have 4 Samsung 840 Pro 256GB running in RAID10 on my new PC .. and for storrage i have my old pc's HDDs wich i'm using in an externel hot swapable rack.

and ofcourse like evey other hdd i have been using in the last 12 years, those storage hdds are WD (2x WD caviar green @ 500GB, 2x WD caviar green @ 1TB and 2x WD caviar green @ 2TB). WD hdds are awesome.

Intel Core i7 4770K --- ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero --- ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II OC --- Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 32GB 1866MHz --- SAMSUNG 840 Evo 250GB --- Corsair AX860i --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- Corsair Hydro H100i --- Western Digital RED 3TB --- ASUS ROG Vulcan PRO --- Logitech G510 --- Logitech G700 --- Logitech Z5500 --- SteelSeries QcK+ XL --- DELL UltraSharp U2713HM 27" WQHD IPS 2560x1440 --- WACOM Intuos Medium

Great promo...good luck to everyone.

I currently run a Netgear 4TB NAS.  The NAS itself was a gift from a buddy (the reason I run it)...I have replaced the drives a few times over the years due to failure or capacity increase.  4 x 4TB would be awesome   :)

I only have a 300gb HD Sadly since i have a old PC and got it at the time that i didnt even have a clue about PC Parts, thanks for doing this giveaway GL ALL :D

hi

I use a DROBO with 2 red 1tb drives, I like the 1gb connection and red drive performance

Linus,

Western Digital sure is being kind to you folks!  :D Here is a list of current rig configuration : 

Fractal Design XL R2 | Corsair AX1200i | Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 4.5Ghz - 1.42V | Corsair H100i Push/Pull | 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz

Kingston Hyper 3k 120GB (2) RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | Corsair Vengeance 1500 | Logitech G500

I chose to go with the Kingston Hyper 3K 120GB SSD's because I've had nothing but good luck with them in customers' computers and have deployed multiple workstations with these SSD's as boot drives with no issues what-so-ever. In my system I went with two Kingston Hyper 3k 120GB in RAID 0 for speed, and to save any pertinant information I may have on those drives I went with four Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD's in RAID 5 for consistency in data storage and functionality in case of a drive failure. I've always went with Raid 0 / Raid 5 setups ever since getting out of the trade school I went to and with small server deployments it seemed so much easier just to drop out a dead HDD, insert new replacement HDD and you're up and running. I don't have a home NAS yet - but I'm sure I could make good use of a 4TB drive if I moved over all my Blu Ray movies to digital copies.  B) 

CORSAIR AIR 540 | CORSAIR AX1200i | GIGABYTE 990FXA-UD7 REV 3.0

AMD 8350 Vishera 5.0GHz @ 1.525V | CORSAIR H100i Push/Pull | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 32GB  DDR3 1600Mhz

KINGSTON HYPER 3K 120GB (2) RAID 0 | SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1.5TB (4) RAID 5 | EVGA GTX 770 4GB FTW ACX (SLI) | CORSAIR AX1200i

i use a 500 gb segate baracuda 7200rpm harddrive for my main os and programs and a wd (have no clue on modal ) 300 gb 7200rpm hdd for games the reason i use the barricuda is because i was builiding a new rig and wanted a lil more space on my primary drive and i dint have enough to by a high capacity ssd and the wd drive is one i had left over from a previous build that i wanted to keep using

facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jamese666/posts/10151831139038164

twitter: https://twitter.com/jamese669/status/375412889177161728

my page :https://www.facebook.com/WorldOfGamingYey/posts/407785202676742

I did a thing once and it was awsome: https://soundcloud.com/jamese666/junkhead-cover-with-vocals

1. My current desktop has an ages old 60GB Kingston SSDNow! V Series and a 1TB Western Digital Black. I fix computers on the side for people, and as a soldier in the U.S. Army that often means salvaging their data and helping them pick out a new laptop. Afghanistan is not kind to motherboards, processors, graphics cards, screens, or pretty much anything else in a computer. I salvaged the working WD out of an external enclosure that bit the dust (literally) for a colleague, and recommended he get a third party external enclosure online for twenty bucks to bring it back to life. He didn't want to wait for shipping, so he picked up a 2TB drive at our PX instead. I kept the drive and replaced my old 300 GB WD drive (it had been kicking around for at least five years without any faults... I love Caviar drives). Back in garrison, I recommended to many people to get sold state drives as the single most dramatic improvement on their computer per dollar. One guy took my advice but accidentally ordered two of the entry level drives without noticing that the price was too high. Instead of paying me to reinstall his OS, he offered to just give me the extra drive. I don't get paid very well in the Army and have three kids, so convincing my wife to let me get an SSD wasn't super likely. I took him up on his offer (without consulting my wife, of course) without a second thought. It probably warranted a second thought, though, because my desktop was a SFF machine from Dell with one hard drive bay, and 60GB doesn't cut it. I had to break out a hacksaw and "mod" the case to even fit both drives, with the end result requiring a lot of electrical tape to keep things electrically insulated and prevent rubbing on fans. It's not pretty if you open the case, but it works and air flow is adequate, though I'll stop short of saying good. End result is one SSD boot drive, one HDD storage drive, and a whole lot of tape keeping it from catching on fire.

2. Facebook share from John Smith: https://www.facebook.com/100005043158808/timeline/story?ut=2&hash=1363347182824600682&wstart=0&wend=1380610799&ustart

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @dc_fail: https://mobile.twitter.com/dc_fail/status/375407492949639168

4. Community Site share with nickname solacelost: http://fora.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104866

Thanks for the chance at a better storage setup! I'll probably build a little NAS out of some junk parts and throw Ubuntu on it if I win. If I don't, hopefully I made someone smirk a little. Good luck!

I am right now running a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, a 1TB Seagate Barracuda and a 2TB WD Green in my main rig. Why ? Because I need fast boot and response time but I also need storage for all my games and music ! I'm thinking of getting a NAS to store movies for all my house so my parents can acces them directly on their TV. And also to store family photos so these drives would be a perfect start !

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/tommy.montreuil.3

Twitter : https://twitter.com/QcPredator

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

The setup I have starts with a 120GB SSD for the OS and any commonly used programs. I then have a 500GB hard drive for the rest of my programs. The next drive is a 2TB drive that holds all my files/media. It is automatically backedup every night to an external 2TB drive using freefilesync. The reason I run this setup is because I don't have a large enough SSD for all my programs to be on the same drive and I have lost all my data twice in my life because I didn't have backups. After the second drive failure I decided that I needed to get serious on how I protect my files. When I have more money I would like to get a NAS to have better access to my files from anywhere. Being the winner of this contest would make a great start to that project.

Twitter Share:

@erictgibson  

https://twitter.com/erictgibson/status/375414198399815681

My Build - Cpu: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.0Ghz Case: Phanteks Evolv ITX | Motherbord: ASUS Maximus VI ImpactRam: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro
Video Card: EVGA GTX 760 | Power Supply: Corsair AX760 | Monitors: Dell P2210 | Keyboard: Logitech k270 | Mouse: Logitech M185

I am using just a 1tb WD Black. Got a super good deal on the drive and its working fantastic to this day.

My build: i5 3570k , Sabertooth Z77, Be quiet Dark Rock 2, Corsair vengeance 16 gb ram, Corsair RM 750, WD Black 1TB , ADATA 256 GB SSD, Asus 660ti DCUII, NZXT H440, Noctua NF-F12 & NF-A14.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

My set-up is nothing impressive...

A couple of Seagate 1 Gig HDD's and a 1 Gig external drive. Reason being? It's all I can afford! Space is... tight...

Need to replace my faulty MB, so any expansion will have to wait until after that, but I'd like to go with an SSD and another large storage volume.

I have 2 WD raptors 74gb in Raid 0, 1 1.5tb green and 2 2tb green, i back up all of my data to one of the 2tb and 2 320 gbs when ever i get the chance to, so i dont lose all of my data if one fails, i also use my mums 1tb backup because im running out of backup space, been looking into a NAS for over a year now, getting more serious now since haswell low power chips are just starting coming out.

I have an old HDD because when I built my rig I didn't want to spend the extra cash to buy an SSD

My hard drives are setup the way they are cuz my hard drives don't seem to die so I just keep adding more and keep re-purposing old ones for different uses. It's also a cheap way to keep easily fragmented files separated from other files.

Right now I have a:

2TB for media files, and games;

200GB for the OS and programs;

80GB for downloads, and temporary files,