WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

Whats up linus, slick, and b-roll!
LOVE the WAN show!

Hey so I have NEVER had a high end computer of anykind and im currently using a dell inspiron laptop (christmas gift) with 450 gbs of space of which i have 1.91 gb free.  I just moved from alaska to atlanta and didnt know ANYONE when i moved but anyways i am wanting to build an awesome highend computer i just purchased an NZXT phantom 820 with the windowed side panel after watching your review since you were the ONLY site i could find that showed the ability to change the leds on the OUTSIDE of the case but i have not yet bought ANY other parts yet.

heres what i was thinking though after youtubing your channels and affiliates every day since january (when i moved)

Gigabyte g1 sniper 5 (love the path lighting and the op amps)...(may be a bit too expensive though)
gtx 780 lightning (until you guys show the galaxy 780 coming up)
nzxt 750 PS (i know you are always saying you dont need more than 500w but its for upgradability)
trying to find a swifttech 280mm rad but may have to go X60 or h110 still dont know
samsung 240gb ssd
i was gonna go 16gbs 1866 corsair dominator platinum but im thinking i may have to research more

and im hoping to complete the build with a WD drive.  

also to answer your wan show question what do you love besides ninenight and noctua?
PRIMOFLEX LRT!

I'm running a 240GB  Intel 520 series SSD for my boot drive and quick access files. I was planning on using a smaller SSD but it was out of stock when I was buying, this one had good reviews and wasn't much more expensive so I figured why not? I went SSD because I wanted fast start up times and it was also my first SSD experience. 

I also use a WD Blue 640GB for general storage, it's fairly old and was salvaged from my last pc but it still works and didn't cost me anything. I will be putting this in another machine when I can afford to upgrade my current rig. 

I've also got three 250GB Seagate GoFlex external drives, I got these cause they were on offer where I worked and I didn't have anything backed up apart from on an 80GB Freecom I got in like 2004 (It still works!)

Twitter @MeatDeluxe https://twitter.com/meatdeluxe/status/378242051675934720

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

Hello! I am running currently:

120 GB Kingston SSD

1 TB Western Digital Blue

I have this set up because I LOVE the boot time (especially since I recently switched from a 6 year old laptop with  a 320 GB 5400 RPM drive) and I have enough room for a few games plus all the startup programs and the 1TB drive is enough for all my games, but I was looking for a larger drive for all my media. I hope I can get a free WD Red to fill that slot!

My current setup is a 500GB Samsung 840 SSD with a 3TB WD and a 2TB Seagate.

Obviously the SSD is my primary boot drive. I had a smaller SSD previously but found it was constantly full for me so I splurged and went with a 500GB drive. It allows me to have any games that I am playing on my SSD as well as the OS and any other programs that I have going. The big reason for going big on the SSD is that games are just getting bigger and bigger these days. 25GB+ is becoming the norm, and I think once we see the next gen come into full swing on the console side 50GB is going to be standard so I want to be able to have several games installed without having to move them over to a HDD deleting and re-downloading them later.

As for storage the drives are just what I bought at the time that were a good price. I keep all my videos, photos, all sorts of documents and things on the two storage devices. I would say a majority of my content is only on a single drive right now which does worry me a bit but the important stuff is copied on both drives as well as most of it being in the cloud in one or two places. My ultimate plan is to pick up a couple of 4TB drives at some point and set up a Storage Spaces setup in Windows 8 so I can have a setup where my data is safe in event of drive failure and still be easy to add more storage in the future. It also really bothers me having different sized drives for some reason so I would like to eventually replace my 3TB and 2TB with all 4TB drives moving forward but we will see how that goes.

tl;dr - 500GB SSD for OS and installing of games. 3TB and 2TB drives for storage and backup. 

I use a Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB for faster booting and auto-start programs. For storage I have a 2TB WD Green, because I bought it as an external HDD and the enclosure broke so I placed it into my desktop.

Hey, welcome to the forum. You should repost this in the New builds and planning section of the forum. You'll get a much better response from the guys who use it. Linus and team don't often directly reply to forum posts but you never know. I've included the link below to make it easier for you to post in the right section.

Enjoy the forum

http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Whats up linus, slick, and b-roll!
LOVE the WAN show!

Hey so I have NEVER had a high end computer of anykind and im currently using a dell inspiron laptop (christmas gift) with 450 gbs of space of which i have 1.91 gb free.  I just moved from alaska to atlanta and didnt know ANYONE when i moved but anyways i am wanting to build an awesome highend computer i just purchased an NZXT phantom 820 with the windowed side panel after watching your review since you were the ONLY site i could find that showed the ability to change the leds on the OUTSIDE of the case but i have not yet bought ANY other parts yet.

heres what i was thinking though after youtubing your channels and affiliates every day since january (when i moved)

Gigabyte g1 sniper 5 (love the path lighting and the op amps)...(may be a bit too expensive though)
gtx 780 lightning (until you guys show the galaxy 780 coming up)
nzxt 750 PS (i know you are always saying you dont need more than 500w but its for upgradability)
trying to find a swifttech 280mm rad but may have to go X60 or h110 still dont know
samsung 240gb ssd
i was gonna go 16gbs 1866 corsair dominator platinum but im thinking i may have to research more

and im hoping to complete the build with a WD drive.  

also to answer your wan show question what do you love besides ninenight and noctua?
PRIMOFLEX LRT!

If I were a bird, I'd fly into a ceiling fan.

Thanks WD and Linus for this really cool giveaway! Ijust built my PC a few weeks ago so I've thought about my drive setup a lot recently.

In my desktop I am using a 250gb Samsung 840 Series SSD for OS, Program files and a couple games. I am also using a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD for mass storage. Right now the HDD holds school files, most of my games, and other documents.

I chose the Samsung SSD first because I'm Korean so I have a little cultural pride. Also because it had one of the better $/GB ratios for SSDs. I think when I bought it it was around $0.67 per GB which was good. I also got it because I've heard that the 840 and 840 Pro series were among the top SSDs currently available.

I chose the Seagate HDD because it was the best deal for a 2TB HDD. The $/GB ratio was very low and total price was around $80. There were 3 and 4TB HDDs with lower $/GB ratios but I didn't want to get an HDD with more than 2TB yet since they have to be formatted differently. 

I wanted to eventually get another Barracuda and put them in Raid 1 and also get another 250gb Samsung 840 SSD and put those two in Raid 0.

With the SSD's in Raid 0 I could probably put my whole steam library on the SSDs (which isn't really necessary, but ultra fast loading would be convenient). The HDD's in raid 1 would be a safety measure.

However, If I did win this contest, I would definitely use the WD Red's for Raid 1 since I've heard so much good stuff about running them in raid. I would probably hold off on getting another SSD and just use my Barracuda for games and maybe set up a cache on my SSD for it so it runs a little faster.

Other than that, my  case currently has 4 empty drive slots, so grand prize would be perfect! haha

I use a Samsung 840 250GB SSD for my OS and apps, and i have two Seagate Barracuda 1TB in RAID 0 for my games, maybe fraps if i decide that i'm going to record some gameplay and other stuff like that

My storage configuration (if you can call it that) consists of the following:

• Internal Drives
  1. 3TB Seagate Barracuda for OS, programs, & storage
  2. 1TB WD Black formerly for OS, now more storage
  • External Drives
  1. 320GB WD USB 2.0 Passport Drive for storage and transfer of large files
  2. 320GB WD Blue Drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure salvaged from an old laptop for storage and transfer of large files
  • Flash Drives
  1. 64GB Patriot Supersonic Magnum USB 3.0 for rapid transfer of large files
  2. 8GB SanDisk Cruzer for miscellaneous

I use this setup because it's been what I could afford over time and any "assistance" would be greatly appreciated. :D

Right now I have a Macbook Air with little storage (128gb) but also have a server at home thats using 2x2tb green drives. I use the server to keep one master copy of all my school assignments so i dont have multiple ones on a multiple computers. Would love to trade in my greens for some reds. 

Main Rig | Dell u3415w | Enthoo Evolv ATX - Intel i7 5930k - Corsair H110i GTX - ASUS X99-A - Samsung 850 Evo 250GB - WD Black 1TB - Corsair LPX 4x8GB - EVGA ACX 780 Ti |

Home Media Server | Fractal Design Node 304 - Intel 4770k - ASUS Z87I Deluxe - Kingston V300 120GB - 2x Western Digital Red 3TB - Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB |

Developer System | 2012 Apple Mac Mini - Intel i5 - 16GB - Samsung 840 250GB - 500GB |

Commuting Tech | 2015 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13" - Intel i5 - 8GB - 128GB | Apple iPad Air 16GB | iPhone 6 64GB |

Well about a year ago I upgraded to a 1tb seagate barracuda, I previously had three laptop harddrives running. I got my hdd because it was cheap, and it had enough storage to tide me over for a while.

SKYWALKER:

Motherboard: ASUS m4a88t-m le Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 CPU: AMD Athlon II 645 x4 3.1Ghz (OC 4.0 Ghz) CPU cooler: Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Ram: 8gb (2x4) ddr3 Corsair Vengence HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda PSU: Thermaltake TR2 430W OS: Windows 8 Case: Raidmax Seiran (White&blue)

I only have a generic 750GB HDD in my laptop right now due to it just coming pre-built.  It doesn't even tell me the brand in the laptop's page on their website.  It runs ok, but since I just got introduced to the wonderful world of PC gaming, I'm almost out of room. Having done a lot of research I'm gearing up to build my first desktop.  Watching your videos really helped me whittle down what I really wanted.  That's why I have 2 WD Black 1TB drives sitting next to me.  I got them for their reliability and gaming optimized performance and they come recommended on many forums for gaming PC's and many YouTubers including yourself.  I'm still skeptical about buying SSDs because they're so expensive for so little, but I might get a small one as a boot drive.  I really appreciate all you've done to help me through my first PC building experience and I hope you can keep doing what you're doing for a long time.

Twitter share with Twitter handle @dratego https://twitter.com/Dratego

Tom's Hardware Forum Post (dratego) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1799446/4tb-red-giveaway.html

I have OCZ Vertex 2 60GB for OS and 2*Seagate Barracuda (2TB + 250GB) for storage lossless music, movies...

I use an ancient 40GB Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 3.5" IDE Hard Drive

I bought this as that was the best harddisk i could find  with in my budget  7 years ago...

I store few medium or low end games( about 15gb for games) in it all the time and its still fast enough to handle it.

i usually would burn some dvds to store any data...otherwise the hard disk is still hale and hearty even after so many years of constant use or abuse i should say.

Would definitely go for WD again in a few  months time.

Oops i am not active in any social website for a while :)

I'm using a Corsair SSD Force GT 240GB as my only drive at the moment, the reasoning behind this is that I am still wondering whether to go with a 2TB or 3TB internal hard drive, since I have a pretty big steam library

I am currently using 500GB Hitatchi HDD in enclosure for external storage and back up because I used the HDD out of my old desktop so it was cheaper than buying a hole new HDD. Inside my laptop I have a 320GB sata drive. It is stock and came with the laptop so I'm not sure on the make. I am running stock because I can't afford a new HDD or an SSD right now and not starting university for another 2 weeks gives me time to save for one.

Facebook: Matthew Gibson; https://www.facebook.com/mjg93/posts/10151669141258697

Twitter: @MattJamesGibson; https://twitter.com/MattJamesGibson/status/378254627759607809

Google+: Matthew Gibson; https://plus.google.com/u/0/109685133058246793488/posts/JrogxgiuyAb

I have a desktop with the following....

- One 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM drive for Windows and games, which I considered high enough performing for an OS and also found at a good price.

- One 30 GB Kingston SSDNow SSD for Ubuntu (which I chose as a cost effective way of getting a SSD since Ubuntu doesn't take up much space).

- Two 1.5 TB 7200 RPM white label drives (that do not list the manufacturer), set up to work in fake raid 1 in Ubuntu, but unfortunately seen as two seperate drives in Windows. I use these for mass storage and to prevent data loss. What I would really love is to have a NAS with more reliable drives in a raid configuration that provides redundancy, but the white label drives were again, a very cost effective option for redundant storage.

I'm running a Samsung 830 256GB as my main drive for OS, programs and games because my 500GB Seagate Barracuda, which has been relegated to storing steam games I don't play much, just wasn't fast enough.

Using a seagate barracuda 500 gb because when i builded my pc i could choose between a better gpu or a 1 tb harddrive instead of 500 gb.my budget was and isnt for an upgrade in the near future.

I currently have an AMD A series APU with 4 GB ram

My storage... ummm.....Don't Laugh it is Hitachi 250GB IDE Drive :D  Because I am Broke 

And I use it for games and Media

I run ONE 500GB Green because i dont have enough money to buy a SSD or a bigger HDD. Thats it i just didnt have enough money

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

About 2 days ago I finally upgraded from a 2011 MacbookPro to a desktop pc and on it I have a 1 TB Hard Disk Drive.

The reason I don't have any more is because most of my budget was spent on a GTX 780 and an AMD FX-8350. Extra storage would really help me out, and save me a lot of money in the long run; That way I can save for a better monitor and a headset. :)

I'm in college and my university gives laptops to students as part of tuition. It has a pretty standard 500gb hdd in it. I am planning on buying a smaller ssd to run the OS and games on when I get the money. I use whatever storage I can get my hands on (i.e. flash drives, my girlfriends laptop, etc...) but it would be nice to have a single location that can hold all of my data so I can run how I want without the hassle of remembering what I put where.

I'm running a 250 GB Samsung 840 SSD. It's relatively cheap and has the speed and storage for everything I need atm.

[spoiler=Current Rig:]i5-4670K @ 4.4 Ghz on 1.3v | MSI Z87I | GTX 780 @ 1150 Mhz | 2x8GB ADATA XPG | Samsung 840 250GB SSD | CM V700 PSU | Custom Watercooled in a Caselabs S3

[spoiler=Peripherals:]Mad Catz R.A.T. 7 | Corsair K70 | Sennheiser Urbanite headphones | Corsair Vengeance MM200 | Asus PB278Q + Samsung 22"