WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I chose a Samsung 1tb Spin Point F3 because it was cheap and bought it 2 years ago for downloading all my pc games and till this day Its only filled up half way.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/freakinoscar/status/377863014512615424

2500k 4.0ghz,GTX 1070 oc,MSI Z77A-GD55,G.SKILL Ripjaws(4 x 2GB)DDR3 1333,OCZ Arc 100 240gb,Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB,Corsair TX 750w v1,CoolerMaster HAF 912,Hyper 212 EVO

I have a 1TB seagate drive cause a friend recommended it to me. It was also pretty cheap at the time. I use it mainly to store my pictures and games

Currently I am using a 750GB storage on my Desktop I was planning to upgrade but due to my fathers hospital bills there is no chance 

Okay so in my main rig I run a 256gb Samsung 840 pro SSD as my main boot drive, currently with Windows 7 as my OS. Then i have a 2TB Western Digital Green as my storage drive for all my steam games and internet downloads.

Then i have a second rig,or just open case with hardware inside, that is used as my network storage. This has a CRAZY drive array which includes; 1x 2.5" 750gb HDD, 1x 3.5" 320GB HDD, 1x 2.5" 500GB HDD (from my mums laptop that i upgraded with an SSD) and a 60GB HDD ripped out from a old PS3.

So my main rig is connected to a gigabit switch by 2 ethernet cables which then my Second computer/rig is also connected up with 2 ethernet cables. So that i can have a 2Gigabit experience :D ( I remember watching Linus's Home network Project and wishing that i could have something similar, not that i would need such a setup though.)

I Mainly use the NAS for my backups of my main rig and my mums laptop just in case something happens,Which it has happened once, That was one of the reasons that pushed me to start backing up to a separate computer.

Right now I'm running just as single WD 1TB Black as my OS/Storage drive. I don't really have the money right now to buy anything else ATM and when I built my PC it was either put 100 bucks on an SSD or put it into a faster GPU (7950 instead of a 7850). 

Currently using two SSDs on raid 0 for speed with 1 320gb WD blue that is 5 years old for data.

Not an ideal setup for data security but couldn't pass on the SSD sale.

WD red would b great to improve the data reliability.

I am running a Samsung 840 pro 256gb SSD for my boot drive and a TB WD caviar blue for my games and such. I would have preferred to get a raid 0 setup with the Boot drive side of things but I spent the extra cash to get a meatier graphics card.

OKAY... PEOPLE ARE NOT READING THIS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T POST ABOUT WHY YOU RUN THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE (ex: it was cheap, I didn't trust SSD, my friend recommended it, etc) YOU WILL NOT WIN. See full rules below.

INTRODUCTION

Western Digital is taking a "go big or go home" approach to at least two things right now. One is the all new 4TB 3.5" Red NAS-optimized hard drive, and the other is this giveaway. Western Digital provided us with an incredibly generous EIGHT 4TB Red drives to give away. Because these drives are RAID-optimized, we thought it would make sense to group up the prizes so that you guys can run them the way they're meant to be run!

mxcCU5I.png

Again... HUGE thanks to Western Digital for making this giveaway possible. They've been so supportive of Linus Tech Tips. They sponsored our trip to Computex, sponsored our trip to PAX, and they're giving awesome stuff away to our community :D

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE SPONSOR MESSAGES BELOW!

SPONSOR MESSAGES

1. Check out this excellent review of the WD Red 4TB over at Storage Review. These guys are awesome and know far more about testing drives than we ever will!

kM4plOy.png

2. Check out the WD Red lineup even if you're not planning to enter the contest: http://amzn.to/15wPO8o

3. Check out this video outlining the advantages of WD's Red lineup of drives: 

WD RED 4TB GIVEAWAYS RULES & REGULATIONS 

I decided to split things up into one GRAND PRIZE and two runner up prizes. The big winner (who will be drawn first) gets FOUR 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's right. FOUR. That's enough to store 12TB of data in RAID 5, or 8TB of data in RAID 1. Each runner up will receive TWO 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's enough for 4TB of RAID1 safe storage! This is a Linus Tech Tips giveaway (WD is providing the drives to us to decide what we want to do with them) so it's WORLDWIDE!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Facebook

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Twitter

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing a link to this giveaway announcement thread in some other community (forums, social networks, super-active community websites other than linustechtips.com like Digg... etc). We aren't trying to spam so make sure you are sharing with people who you genuinely think will care about it!

You can get a maximum of 4 entries by including links in your post to the three eligible sharing places. Here is an example of what an optimal maximum entry (4) post would look like:

1. I don't have a desktop, but I run an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my boot drive because it was a great price, and offers great speed with a 5 year warranty. I don't keep any storage drives in my system because I use spotify for all of my music and I don't watch many movies, but I do have a 1TB external USB3 drive that has 1-touch back up, so I plug that in once in a while so that if my laptop gets lost I will still have my data. 

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): (insert verifiable link here)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @Example: (insert verifiable link here)

4. Community Site share with nickname (nickname goes here): (insert verifiable link here)

The contest closes September 30th, 2013 and the winner will be contacted after we've had a chance to tabulate the entries. Good luck everyone! Thanks for participating, and a big thanks again to our sponsor, WD!

I used to have a 320GB WD blue as my boot and storage drive but then it crashed so i had to salvage my old computer and get the Hard Drive out of, so currently I am using a 40GB HDD as my boot drive and i don't have money to buy a new HDD at the moment because I am a student and i don't have a job.

I am running a 500 GB internal hard drive, on a laptop.  Wtth a 500 GB WD mypassport, along with my 500GB Seagate external drive.  I'm still saving up for a computer build, and bought the mypassport and seagate when my laptop started going on the fritz, and I also needed to bring entire projects to school, and backing up my projects.

My system was built around a Kingston Technology HyperX 3K 2.5 inch 120GB SSD.

When I was building my computer (my first build ever too!) my budget was limited.

With the preformance of the SSD I was willing to keep the storage at such a low amount with an eye to buying a couple TB HD down the line when I could free up some money.This was about 9 months ago.

With Windows 7 and some video games installed (when I was playing them a lot) it was just fine for me. Not to mention I used my old computer to set up a media server for my family to hold films and the like, although that is only like 500GB.

That's worked well but it was the installing Total War: Rome II that has told me I now have to move on some new storage.

Then I saw this unreal opportunity in my Youtube sub stream; If that's not a sign I don't know what is!

I'm not sure I would even know how to deal with all the storage if I got my hands on these Haha

All I have is a 500GB Seagate drive which hasn't proved to be enough. It's probably time for an upgrade of some sort.

I have a Samsung 840 pro 128 gb that I use for my OS (windows 8 and archlinux dual boot). I bought it about a month ago because I had some money and it was the cheapest upgrade I could do to my 6 year-old PC and I chose it because it is manufactured entirely by Samsung and has a 5 year warranty. I also have a 250 gb WD Blue that I use for storage along with a 120 gb adata external hard drive. I use these two hard drives because it is all I have now. I bought the WD hard drive when I first built my computer and I got the external drive later for my birthday. The "rack" of the hard drive got damaged and I connected it to the pc using a sata II connector. I do not have enough money to get at least a 1TB hard drive so this is why I have this weird storage configuration.

On my pc my hard drive failed so in using a 4 gb Memory stick I found at school, I need the hard drive because I need to replace the memory stick I need to win

post-39473-0-07752900-1378925190_thumb.j

Right now I am running only a Samsung 840 Pro 120Gb SSD, this because at the time I only had enough money for one storage drive because I spent too much on the GPU, CPU and motherboard and because i wanted good boot time so i bought a SSD.  :unsure:

Twitter share @AfonsoJR https://twitter.com/AfonsoJorgeR/status/377849578545876992

Facebok share https://www.facebook.com/afonsojramos/posts/471886696252892

Cnet Share http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7591_102-601258/wd-red-4tb-giveaway/?tag=StickyWin_1378924976815;createThreadPopup

I run a 90 GB Corsair Force GT SSD  for my boot drive and all my programs and for storage I have a 320GB Toshiba hardrive that I took out of my laptop since my parents wouldn't give me more money to buy a Hardrive for storage. However I'm planning on building a home server computer for all my storage need for all my devices.

I'm using a laptop, and I have a 320 gb Toshiba mk3255gsx. I use this drive because, the hdd failed in my laptop. So, I bought a broken laptop for 35$. Took the HDD out of it, slapped it in mine.

Current Build: CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K @ 4.0 GHz Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ RAM 2 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Storage: 1 TB and 500 GB Segate Barracuda HDDs GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 760 Case: NZXT Source 210 PSU: Corsair CX 600W

I have a 128GB OCZ Vertex boot drive (that I store some other things on) and a 1 TB WD Black drive for storage. Wanted the fast boot times and application load times from the SSD and the storage of the 1TB drive.

1. I currently run my Win7 on Kingston V100 64GB for extra startup speed of applications and a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for Steam/Origin library and media files. The SSD is just way too small by itself so I had to get a HDD to compensate for my "data-hogging". I also have a 320GB Toshiba external but that's been full for a quite a while.

Facebook share post: https://www.facebook.com/LGFlow/posts/10201393927161778

Twitter share tweet: https://twitter.com/Oorasu/status/377864285205979136

I currently use two 2TB drives and one 256 SSD. SSD for OS, games, and such. The larger drives are for storage of my music photos and movies. Ive got two so I can keep a backup copy just incase. They were pretty cheap too. I do really wanna expand in the future.

Link to facebook: HERE

I am currently running one 250GB WD hard drive i used to have a second one but it broke and now i am gathering money to upgrade into something better that what i have. The reason i have this setup is because it used to fulfill the storage needs i had but now since i got a lot more into 3d modeling and animation i just cant continue working like this.

Big thanks to you guys and WD for this amazing giveaway.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/_Jimatos/status/377866278460878848(@_Jimatos)

My setup is as a Samsung 840 120GB SSD for my OS (because it is fast)
A Samsung SpinPoint F4 EcoGreen 2TB for Pictures, Musik, Workspace, Laptopsaves. (because i got it out of an old computer and it is the biggest for all the stuff)

A WD Green 1 TB for Games, Downloads, Programms (because i can format it if i have to setup a new windows, and it was a random 500GB HDD before i got that harddrive out of another computer too) 

A FreeAgent GoFlex Drive 2TB to save the Samsung spinpoint (used that as only drive befor)

A 1GB Ramdisk for Temp files (to speed up the system)

a 32GB Usb2 for Transfering Projects to my Laptop with a 120GB OCZ Vertx 3 and a 500GB WD Black (i dont use cd so i put the old hdd in)

And id Love to have a HDD to settup my DLink dns 320 (Wich i need to save the data of my girlfriend)

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

I have a 1tb drive for my laptop, also I have a 1tb external. I have the laptop drive because 1tb helps store all my videos. I chose the 1tb external basically cause my dell sucks and I have to reboot to factory every 3 months. :P

i have a hdd seagate 1tb for all programm, a hdd hitachi 160 gb for windows and a hdd maxtor 50gb for backup