Sexisim and reform among gamers.

mbryant

If you're a cuck, sure, but outside of video games i found the exact opposite to be true.

The heterosexual males who pander to females in lobby chats and game chats are usually either losers or very young boys.

Which is why i found the most of them in F2P MMOs and games like COD.

Almost nowhere else have i found this to be my experience.

well that sucks. 

I mean, if a woman goes up to a man asks him to fuck with no context, the man might be wiered out, "no, thanks for asking". Reverse the roles and the man would get arrested. 

I mean that's kinda my basis for that. In our society, it's generally the men trying to pick up the women. 

I don't know. I've never tried to pick men up, so I may be painting the wrong picture. Fuck I don't even try to pick women up, I only do serious relationships and I have the sex drive of a VW beetle stuck in the mud. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

@Godlygamer23

What's great about female leads exactly?

I've never understood this, i've never understood why men and women see themselves so differently.

It's like you're all (not you personally) convinced that the opposite sex isn't human like you.

Can you not empathize with the opposite sex or something?

I'm not saying only have male leads, but applauding female leads in video games is like applauding Linus for not wearing his scoks and sandals.

No one actually cares and it will change literally nothing about the content.

That's not exactly what I meant.. For me I was raised to treat everyone as an equal regardless of sex, race, age etc.. but there are some on the extreme side of the feminist movement who will freak out if in a game like COD there is no female squad member (extreme scenario) but the demographic of COD is mostly male... and there is nothing wrong with that. 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

IDK. I have 2 friends on steam who are girls and the rest (around 15 ish) are guys.

I've just never been popular with girls. :(

I have problems relating to them and communicating with them.

Well yeah, on PC you see a lot of that D when people are streaming and when playing COD with all that webcam compatibility

LOL :)

@Godlygamer23 could you fix this thread please, @Section35 has an attitude problem. I know sometime I swear but this is properly swearing and hardcore.

You don't have to relate to them or communicate with them in a special manner, that's the thing, as ironic as it sounds you're being "sexist" by trying to treat them differently, literally talk to them how you would a guy, you don't have to be different with them if they're your friend, women who get offended by swearing etc - it's not because they're women, it's just because they don't like swearing, there are some men that don't like swearing and so you don't talk to them or interact with them...the same principal applies.

Let's keep things on topic, yeah?

can you just close this... I... this just got away from me and wasn't intended to be so heated. I just simply wanted people like Megan to share their experiences. I wasn't saying this issue is rampant but it does exist and shouldn't be ignored.

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

I miss the days of dedicated PC servers being the majority of online play. We had rules about this shit. 

I was much younger, and even at that immature want-be-a-dick-rag-on-the-internet age I learned not to do B, C, and D. 

The main reason was not only servers with rules, but 2 factors-

*You played with the same 100-150 people usually. They remember you. 

*I often played with people a lot older than I was, generally in their 30s. Some married with wives that often played as well, would come home from work, crack a beer, and play a game. Chances are if you trashed talked person Y, Admin X probably knows them.

ten plus years later and I miss that accountability, and the communities that formed around simple match servers. 

I fucking hate kotaku more every day. 

I have to say, I've not really seen anything from Kotaku that's made me hate them, but seriously fuck their homophobic parent company Gawker.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have to say, I've not really seen anything from Kotaku that's made me hate them, but seriously fuck their homophobic parent company Gawker.

look up Zoe Quinn Kotaku.

GG.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/04/kotaku-writer-paid-800-to-dev-he-was-sleeping-with-without-disclosure/

Hiya :)

Feel free to quote me in a reply so I can see your reply :)

Time and time again, I feel like the only person in the world who has not encountered sexism in either gaming or the real world, save for some jokes made in bad taste.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I've just never been popular with girls. :(

I have problems relating to them and communicating with them.

Well yeah, on PC you see a lot of that D when people are streaming and when playing COD with all that webcam compatibility

LOL :)

some Advice from one man to another, just be there friend, don't think of them (too much) as females, just think of them as another gamer buddy, get to know them better, hang out in voice chat, maybe go to guild meet ups. You'll grow braver the more familiar you're with the person.

... Well it Works for me, :)

... Still single though.... Lol :)

You don't have to relate to them or communicate with them in a special manner, that's the thing, as ironic as it sounds you're being "sexist" by trying to treat them differently, literally talk to them how you would a guy, you don't have to be different with them if they're your friend, women who get offended by swearing etc - it's not because they're women, it's just because they don't like swearing, there are some men that don't like swearing and so you don't talk to them or interact with them...the same principal applies.

There you go.

Put yourself in your person of interest's position.

Everyone likes to be with cool people who are usually nice and funny.

Very basic human social patterns that we all share, there's very little that's actually different between the sexes.

Anxiety coupled with low-experience seems to distort reality where people start believing and practicing stereotypes of sex.

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Time and time again, I feel like the only person in the world who has not encountered sexism in either gaming or the real world, save for some jokes made in bad taste.

Sexism's out there, i just think you've been fortunate enough not to meet the bad apples.

I like to think most people are good people with good intentions and that even people who are sexist are simply ignorant and not really malicious.

Time to add my fuel to the fire.

This problem wouldn't be half of what it is without twitch sluts (the other half is 12 year olds). Twitch themselves has even started cracking down on people (not just girls) who produce content on twitch where the main focus clearly is not the gameplay or commentary.

It starts with cute girls exploiting the mostly male twitch population by streaming games while wearing minimal clothing in order to gain a following and make money. Guys realize this and start to resent these girls. These girls get accused of not being "real gamers" because the focus of their stream is not gaming, it's tits and other stupid shit. But of course the population of females that are "real gamers" get lumped into this stereotype and begin resenting male gamers for discriminating or discrediting them based on their gender. The end result is a massive shitstorm of hate and resentment between the male and female gamer populations. Girls are afraid to come out as gamers for fear of being shamed as attention whores, and guys are afraid to come out as gamers for fear of being shamed as misogynistic pigs.

So uhh, be nice to people online. And in real life.

I think a lot of it has do with people just getting aggravated by the whole, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Look! Look! I'm a girl!, pay attention to me!, I'm a girl and I am playing video games!" thing that happens. Most of the time it would be a non issue. 95% of the time I see anything happening like that happens directly after that proclamation of being a girl.

Pandering to guys.

This is what i'm talking about, there's lots of girls who play video games; it's not some male activity, there's nothing special about a girl who plays video games, video games are fun and fun isn't something only guys want.

That's like a dude bragging that he's a guy who practices good skincare; big whoop, you have good hygiene and care about your appearance like 99% of the population

I too miss the days of dedicated PC's and accountability, unfortunately because people can get away with things they do them and that is why there's such an outcry for regulation.

I have such a problem with regulation though- it breaks what the internet is. It's kinda like the anti-piracy laws- you can't stop piracy without destroying the internet for everyone, including privacy and free speech. 

And the outcry itself- when I learn more reading /r/kotakuinaction than I do anything else, something I dismissed the simple idea of originally, I think there's a problem in the pro-SJW media. I mean fuck if you are a female the criticize them publicly they will destroy you and your life. You can't be for progress if you disagree with them. It's really scary. God forbid anyone feels they are misrepresented by the movement, they're treated worse then those scum men. (This is the same movement that strives for women's independence yet declares them incapable of making the choice to consent, or is against rape but does everything in their power to censor things the cologne rapes since it speaks against their view on immigration and the ignoring the way women are treated in some Muslim cultures)

It makes me sad. I don't partake in these arguments normally or do anything for either side in the movement, it just simply makes me sad. 

I guess on the positive notes for gaming itself, years ago I never imagined there would be as many gaming as there are now. Before even the ones that did usually weren't open about it, and the internet itself wasn't as mainstream (rule 16 extended to games). 

In fact, I this trend will not only continue, it will also on it's own shape games. 

As far as getting in the industry itself, I think people miss part of the picture. It is true that as far as computer science goes, or any engineering/programming related higher education program, there are not many women. I have experience with his myself, and I don't know why this is. 

But there are so many more roles that shape a game, be it writers, artists, 3d modeling, animators, general designers, creative direction, even the marketing really determines the direction of a game, and I really don't feel they will suffer that men-only thing that engineering/programming will long term. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

As far as getting in the industry itself, I think people miss part of the picture. It is true that as far as computer science goes, or any engineering/programming related higher education program, there are not many women. I have experience with his myself, and I don't know why this is. 

But there are so many more roles that shape a game, be it writers, artists, 3d modeling, animators, general designers, creative direction, even the marketing really determines the direction of a game, and I really don't feel they will suffer that men-only thing that engineering/programming will long term. 

The reason you don't see many women seems to be due to a combination of societal norms and real differences in the sexes.

It's very interesting actually, Sweden's done a few studies (being the most "gender-equal" nation) and even within their country, while reduced compared to the U.S., there's still a strong correlation of women in roles like Nursing and men in roles like Engineering; it's really cool stuff to learn what natural inclinations people have even beyond their sex

For me the important part is that people realize men can be just as good nurses and women just as good engineers, or rather that their sex is not a real factor in the quality of their work.

Video games are a form of entertainment that now rival movies; big productions, millions of dollars invested, long-periods of time spent on development, professional actors and directors, i mean they've really taken off in the past decade.

I have such a problem with regulation though- it breaks what the internet is. It's kinda like the anti-piracy laws- you can't stop piracy without destroying the internet for everyone, including privacy and free speech. 

And the outcry itself- when I learn more reading /r/kotakuinaction than I do anything else, something I dismissed the simple idea of originally, I think there's a problem in the pro-SJW media. I mean fuck if you are a female the criticize them publicly they will destroy you and your life. You can't be for progress if you disagree with them. It's really scary. God forbid anyone feels they are misrepresented by the movement, they're treated worse then those scum men. (This is the same movement that strives for women's independence yet declares them incapable of making the choice to consent, or is against rape but does everything in their power to censor things the cologne rapes since it speaks against their view on immigration and the ignoring the way women are treated in some Muslim cultures)

It makes me sad. I don't partake in these arguments normally or do anything for either side in the movement, it just simply makes me sad. 

I guess on the positive notes for gaming itself, years ago I never imagined there would be as many gaming as there are now. Before even the ones that did usually weren't open about it, and the internet itself wasn't as mainstream (rule 16 extended to games). 

In fact, I this trend will not only continue, it will also on it's own shape games. 

Making people accountable for their actions does not break the internet though, you can still have anonymity and do what you want, but be held accountable for how you treat people, if you choose to use a service in which you interact with people you should be willing to give up that anonymity to a degree or at least talk to people in a decent manner, the internet while a great tool of privacy and freedom for expression does not justify being allowed to talk to people how you want. 

After all there's a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech, when does "freedom of speech" become racism? Or derogatory? When it causes offence? Because anyone can say they're offended by something.

People should always be held accountable for the things they do, just because "it's the internet" does not mean that the feelings are any less real, to me an attack that is not personal is more worrying than one that is personal, because at least when it's personal someone can justify their actions. Especially if the attack is anonymous because it envelops paranoia within the individual.

Making people accountable for their actions does not break the internet though, you can still have anonymity and do what you want, but be held accountable for how you treat people, if you choose to use a service in which you interact with people you should be willing to give up that anonymity to a degree or at least talk to people in a decent manner, the internet while a great tool of privacy and freedom for expression does not justify being allowed to talk to people how you want. 

After all there's a difference between freedom of speech and hate speech, when does "freedom of speech" become racism? Or derogatory? When it causes offence? Because anyone can say they're offended by something.

People should always be held accountable for the things they do, just because "it's the internet" does not mean that the feelings are any less real, to me an attack that is not personal is more worrying than one that is personal, because at least when it's personal someone can justify their actions. Especially if the attack is anonymous because it envelops paranoia within the individual.

I don't think it's quite as black and white but I don't disagree. As a white male I don't really feel this kind of standard would be applied equally just based on what I see now, but I've seen some horrible, horrible things. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I can't remember the last time I've heard someone say girls shouldn't play or develop video games tbh

True.

There is no sexism in games other than that created by SJWs.

And if anything it's them being sexist towards males.

I make bad life decisions.

True.

To say that there's no sexism in games other than that created by SJWs is extremely ignorant.

Just because you do not see it does not mean it doesn't exist. 

True.

To say that there's no sexism in games other than that created by SJWs is extremely ignorant.

Believe me it's there. 

It's not like to the level of anime, but it's there. 

The fake outrage is there too, but I think it drowns where it does exist. 

I mean, I'm not outraged by it. Things target a certain audience. Like otakus in japan. As a viewer, it's insulting to me to some extent. I avoid a lot of anime. I don't hate its existence, it's some people's thing I guess. 

But it's there for sure.  And same with games. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Yes, it is quite ignorant. But I say it for a reason.

But with all the kerfuffle over women in gaming you're very, very likely to hear about it if something happens (and is taken to the public).

But I'm fairly confident there is very little of it.

It also depends what you define as sexism. Because for me it's strictly "discrimination against a sex".

Making Quiet "sexually appealing" in MGSV isn't sexism etc etc.

Yes, it is quite ignorant. But I say it for a reason.

But with all the kerfuffle over women in gaming you're very, very likely to hear about it if something happens (and is taken to the public).

But I'm fairly confident there is very little of it.

It also depends what you define as sexism. Because for me it's strictly "discrimination against a sex".

Making Quiet in MGSV isn't sexism etc etc.

omg her name is quiet? I almost spit my drink. 

I hate to do this- "but wearing that dress " argument. 

You should at least expect some complaints. 

Might as well have named her "Kitchen"

muh specs 

All parts black

omg her name is quiet? I almost spit my drink.

I meant to put the words "sexually appealing" in there goddamnit.

That's what happens when your brain is half focused on about 4 different things at once.

Sex sells.

Not sure why people always point to the developers as it's not them who make the countless nude mods for countless games...

Shipping sucks

LOL

I still remember when a bunch of feminists tried to get GTA V removed from stores because it promoted "abusing women" and that the whole point of the game was to "kill women and take their stuff."

Sometimes I just don't understand feminist logic.

I meant to put the words "sexually appealing" in there goddamnit.

That's what happens when your brain is half focused on about 4 different things at once.

I edited more there I know what you meant. 

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Quiet

I'm still caught up on the name though. Still haven't played the game yet, had no idea

I hate to do this- "but wearing that dress " argument. 

You should at least expect some complaints. 

Might as well have named her "Kitchen"

I get it, she's a 'sniper' and shes 'quiet'

but

"There's a girl in this new popular game dressed like every teenage male's wet dream

QuietMGSV.jpg

named 'Quiet.' Here's your pitchfork, join the mob"

Regardless of whether or not characters like her should exist, and I persoanlly have little problem with it, you have to expect some outrage at some point 

muh specs 

All parts black