Plasti dip mods

Clanscorpia

I'm doing a black and blue themed PC but there's some mods I'd like to do. I'd like to paint the Intel stock heat sink blue (the metal if possible but the fan is going to happen), the red on the MSI Twin Frozr V cooler must go and I'd like to paint my company logo on the S340's side without the window. Part list:

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/hwFrdC
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/hwFrdC/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($282.21 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($124.28 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($65.52 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($361.03 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.61 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($140.18 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $1082.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-17 22:17 EST-0500

I'll be using Blue Plasti dip

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

-SNIP-

It's not recommended to paint heatsinks since they heavily affect cooling performance, if you do though spray paint is desired over plasti-dip since it's a rubber spray that leaves a fairly thick coating. Just to give you an idea if your do paint the heatsink your looking at around an increase of approx 10C, for fans as long as you apply thin coat of spray paint it will not be really a problem. 

Don't cover any metal heat sink with plastic dip, the metal need to be open to cool. The rubber coating will hinder some heat dissipation

Actually it is not as bad as you think but i haven't tried it on the stock one.

Just be careful with the GPU to not get any plasti-dip on the heat sink itself. IIRC, you can detach the shroud from the cooler, allowing you to paint it.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Don't cover any metal heat sink with plastic dip, the metal need to be open to cool. The rubber coating will hinder some heat dissipation

So no  painting the heat sink part of the  Intel cooler?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

So no  painting the heat sink part of the  Intel cooler?

Ideally it's best to leave it, for the GPU shroud among other things it will not be an issue. I have a guide here under GPU Painting for more details if your interested:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

Just be careful with the GPU to not get any plasti-dip on the heat sink itself. IIRC, you can detach the shroud from the cooler, allowing you to paint it.

Trust me, the I'm going to be super careful when I do this

Spoiler

AXIOM

you cant paint fans with plastidip

the rubber coating is way too thick and will block the blades from spinning

the material is also heavy and will unbalance the rotor, causing increased wear, vibration, and more noise

as everyone else said, painting the heatsink is even worse because you're pretty much stopping all contact with air, which is what cools the heatsink

what you should do is buy a new cooler or fan, not paint them

if you want to paint a fan it is possible if you use airbrush or an extremely thin and lightweight paint

but those are very expensive, you might as well buy 10 fans of the colour you want

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ideally it's best to leave it, for the GPU shroud among other things it will not be an issue. I have a guide here under GPU Painting for more details if your interested:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407754-modding-faq-common-mods/

How can I do this without taking the shroud off?

Spoiler

AXIOM

you cant paint fans with plastidip

the rubber coating is way too thick and will block the blades from spinning

the material is also heavy and will unbalance the rotor, causing increased wear, vibration, and more noise

as everyone else said, painting the heatsink is even worse because you're pretty much stopping all contact with air, which is what cools the heatsink

what you should do is buy a new cooler or fan, not paint them

if you want to paint a fan it is possible if you use airbrush or an extremely thin and lightweight paint

but those are very expensive, you might as well buy 10 fans of the colour you want

Ok, I think I'll paint the plastic thing that holds the fan and the clips

Spoiler

AXIOM

Ok, I think I'll paint the plastic thing that holds the fan and the clips

if you just do the fan frame then its fine

just make sure you cover 100% of the rotor and motor with tape so no paint gets there

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How can I do this without taking the shroud off?

I don't recommend to paint it without taking the shroud off, it makes things much easier with the parts seperated. If your very careful you can mask off the entire care but if your using plasti-dip note you need to make cut lines before removing masking or it will pull up surrounding plasti-dip. Check under General Painting and Plasti-dip it has more in depth details on both. 

I don't recommend to paint it without taking the shroud off, it makes things much easier with the parts seperated. If your very careful you can mask off the entire care but if your using plasti-dip note you need to make cut lines before removing masking or it will pull up surrounding plasti-dip. Check under General Painting and Plasti-dip it has more in depth details on both. 

I was just planning on painting the little red highlights. Does opening the shroud void the warranty?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Linus painted one of his stock intel coolers with oven paint (or something like that) Oven paint conducts heat better than normal heat, allowing the cooler to look cool without impacting temps.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I was just planning on painting the little red highlights. Does opening the shroud void the warranty?

No it wouldn't void anything and since your using plasti-dip you can peel off the coat reverting it back to original. 

No it wouldn't void anything and since your using plasti-dip you can peel off the coat reverting it back to original. 

I thought opening GPU's voids the warranty?

Spoiler

AXIOM

I thought opening GPU's voids the warranty?

In most cases if you replace everything as is there won't be a problem but your just removing the shroud and not the heatsink itself where most will place a warranty void sticker over one of the screws.

In most cases if you replace everything as is there won't be a problem but your just removing the shroud and not the heatsink itself where most will place a warranty void sticker over one of the screws.

Can you check for an MSI card with a Twin Frozr V cooler?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Can you check for an MSI card with a Twin Frozr V cooler?

Here's a guide on it, you don't need to take off the cooler to remove the shroud, check for screws along the side and some screws which are just beneath the fan blades.

https://imgur.com/a/9JCmd

Here's a guide on it, you don't need to take off the cooler to remove the shroud, check for screws along the side and some screws which are just beneath the fan blades.

Does everything he do except taking off the cooler void the warranty?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Wheres is the rest of the guide?

Spoiler

AXIOM

Wheres is the rest of the guide?

Taking off the shroud shouldn't void the warranty and the guide was mainly focused on the LED module but he showed that the red accents can also be removed for painting, and re-assembled.

Taking off the shroud shouldn't void the warranty and the guide was mainly focused on the LED module but he showed that the red accents can also be removed for painting, and re-assembled.

Can you make sure that it doesnt void it in Canada? I really want to keep my warranty 

Spoiler

AXIOM