MSI R9 390x dual 120mm mod

afyeung

Yeah then the .051" stuff should be better.

Update. I bought the .051 inch diameter piano wire http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VYHKO4/ref=s9_simh_gw_g328_i1_r?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=06D3PHZ0N7ZWGXTY29QE&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop#customerReviews

Hopefully this stuff works so I can have the 390x ready by Thursday.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

Hey Guys! Quick update: It's a snow day today for me. Yayyy!!!! The piano wire is most likely in the mail already. I will wrap up the mod today if I can or tomorrow since it'll probably be another snow day. Excited to get back into gaming especially with that crossfire goodness :)

Hey Guys! Quick update: It's a snow day today for me. Yayyy!!!! The piano wire is most likely in the mail already. I will wrap up the mod today if I can or tomorrow since it'll probably be another snow day. Excited to get back into gaming especially with that crossfire goodness :)

Snow? What is this snow you speak of? It's 64F in Houston right now xD

Snow? What is this snow you speak of? It's 64F in Houston right now xD

I'm in FCPS. Did you ever see #closeFCPS on Twitter top trending? That's us lol. We only had 1/4inch of snow last night but it turned into ice. There's a snow storm coming tomorrow too apparently. 

I'm in FCPS. Did you ever see #closeFCPS on Twitter top trending? That's us lol. We only had 1/4inch of snow last night but it turned into ice. There's a snow storm coming tomorrow too apparently. 

xD

If it starts to even sprinkle here people shut down the entire town... 'WRAP YOUR PIPES' 'SAVE THE CHILDREN' 'ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE'

xD

If it starts to even sprinkle here people shut down the entire town... 'WRAP YOUR PIPES' 'SAVE THE CHILDREN' 'ALL HELL HAS BROKEN LOOSE'

post-211116-0-97248400-1453381093_thumb.

xD

*slow clap*

Beautiful.

*slow clap*

Beautiful.

That's actually pretty much the amount of snow we had lol.

Hey guys! So the piano wire arrived today. YAY :) I already screwed up because the dispensing instructions said not to remove the coil of wire from the package and that was the first thing I did lol. Anyways, I have another semi-free day tomorrow so I'm aiming to get it done tomorrow. This is my first time using piano wire, can I just cut it with cutting pliers and form it using needle nose pliers? I tested the wire and it fits snugly in the heatsink which is good. I'm excited for crossfire so I can run Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 at 1440p 60fps :)

post-211116-0-82231300-1453424359_thumb.

Hey guys! So the piano wire arrived today. YAY :) I already screwed up because the dispensing instructions said not to remove the coil of wire from the package and that was the first thing I did lol. Anyways, I have another semi-free day tomorrow so I'm aiming to get it done tomorrow. This is my first time using piano wire, can I just cut it with cutting pliers and form it using needle nose pliers? I tested the wire and it fits snugly in the heatsink which is good. I'm excited for crossfire so I can run Crysis 3 and Witcher 3 at 1440p 60fps :)

You can use wire cutters, although if you have a Dremel or angle grinder or carbide sae that would be better.

You can use wire cutters, although if you have a Dremel or angle grinder or carbide sae that would be better.

I think I'll just use wire cutters. They look a bit tough though. I'll try my best

xD

Sarah Palin must have visited this person's house

Hey guys! Update: Bad news. The steel wire was completely useless to me(at least I learned something tho), it was too hard to mold with conventional tools. Instead I opted for good ol' twist ties and zip ties. Good news: The fans were mounted successfully! YAY. It looks pretty nice. I might mount the cooler and try it out today or tomorrow. Pics to come after my phone gets charged :)

Hey guys! Deep Blue is alive!!! Here's what the modded GPU looks like first

But aren't those fans being choked to death by the second GPU?

But aren't those fans being choked to death by the second GPU?

Not really. I can squeeze my finger between them, it doesn't look like it in the pictures but there's actually quite a bit of room. If you search of pics of Nvidia SLI rigs, the cards are literally squeezed together

Not really. I can squeeze my finger between them, it doesn't look like it in the pictures but there's actually quite a bit of room. If you search of pics of Nvidia SLI rigs, the cards are literally squeezed together

True.

How are the temps? Despite my worries about suffocation, I must admit that the GPU does look pretty damn awesome with just two fans strapped onto it.

Hey guys! Deep Blue is alive!!! Here's what the modded GPU looks like first

How much were those sleeved cables?

True.

How are the temps? Despite my worries about suffocation, I must admit that the GPU does look pretty damn awesome with just two fans strapped onto it.

The temps sucked actually :( Still a lot better than the stock cooler, but the GPU was barely throttling at 92c. With the side panel open AND a -75mv undervolt. So I just swtiched to the 390x by itself. Load temps and noise are better than the stock cooler. On stock cooler, overclocked, I was looking at 100% fan speed and 85c, with the mod, 78c but much, much quieter

How much were those sleeved cables?

$5

:huh: Where? Do they have any red ones?

Amazon. Yes