First Desktop

Clonzoo

So, in the process of building my first desktop, I've been using laptops up until now but I think its time for a change and play them games like a man!

I will be running 1 monitor, perhaps if I ever see the need later I'll get another one, but I doubt I'll ever run eyefinity and when that times come, I'll be back.

I primarily play games, no video or 3D stuff. and I don't wanna start coming up with a list of every game I play or plan or playing. Old classics to the new demanding games :) What the future holds is still a mystery thats why I want a system that will do what I want it to do for a few years without having to upgrade it every half a year.

I come from Norway, but don't get fooled, we may be one of the richest countries in the world but prices on computers and such are sickening. (I still earn less then the average)

Because of the prices being as they are here in Norway my budget is $2500. Feel free to shed a tear for my wallet. In that price I also include OS and a monitor.

So far I've come up with this:

BenQ 24" LED GL2450HM 1920x1080, 40000:1, 2ms, speaker, VGA/DVI/HDMI                                                                                                                       $228,49

Corsair TX 650W PSU ATX 12V V2.3, 80 Plus Bronze, Standard. 2x 6+2-pin PCIe, 8x SATA, 140mm Vifte                                                                      $131,34

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9 Kit w/2x 4GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.5V, Vengeance Heatspreader, 240                                  $103,39

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Sort Vifter: 1x 140mm Front, 1x 140mm Topp, 140mm Bak, ATX, mini/micro-ATX, 2xUSB 3.0                                         $131,17

Intel Core i5-4670K Processor Socket-LGA1150, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB, 84W, HD4600, Boxed w/fan, Haswell                                                        $295,72

Lite-On DVD±RW Writer, iHAS324 SATA, DVD±R: 24x, DVD+DL: 12x, CD-R: 48x, Nero Essentials, Retail                                                                           $29,42

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Norsk, Full, DVD                                                                                                                                                         $229,31

MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA "Lightning", with Batman Arkham Origins                                                                                                         $583,4

MSI Z87 MPOWER, Socket-1150 ATX,Z87,DDR3,3xPCIe-x16,SLI/CFX,HDMI,DP,WiFi,WiDi,BT,SBCinema,Killer2200,Haswell                                            $295,72

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB BK OEM Basic KIT, 540/520MB/s read/write, Samsung MEX controller                                                                            $229,97

Seagate Barracuda® 2TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5"                                                                                                                   $111,61

Total                                                                                                                                                                                     $2369,6

Its not cheap compared to the price that Linus mention on his youtube channel. This is not as good as the $2000 build and its also more expensive. Anyways, if you guys can help me get this cheaper without sacrificing performance I'd kiss you, male, female or shemale, I don't care, you'll get a kiss!

Its all linked to the Norwegian website I am ordering from which before you ask are one of the cheapest and the best. So those who are Norwegian or can understand can click away and help me even further then others. Anyways that's what I have so far and its just to show what I want, change it all you want :)

I don't have any plans of overclocking due to the fact that it seems like from a gamer perspective its not that beneficial, especially when you count in the hours getting it stable, luck of the draw and the risks.

Thank you all so much for dedicating your time reading this wall of text, please leave any suggestion you might have, I take them all seriously.

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

So much to read but I looked at your specs and they seem pretty good. That system should handle most if not all current games.

I basically have those specs and it can easily run most games pushing near 80-100 fps easy.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

IMHO the Mpower is for show. You most likely won't need most of the features and overclocking on Haswell is different on every single CPU. I would just get a cheaper motherboard and spend more on something like the graphics card. If you want the yellow/gold I suggest the Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H (not sure about the pricing, it might be the same as the Mpower...) or get an Asus board.

i think that motherboard if just a little bit expensive. you can look in to other manufactures like ASUS. and go for a lower priced board with exactly what you want and with out stuff you wont use. plus ASUS have a awesome power delivery and BIOS for overclocking and fine tuning.

aslo put some money in to a good after market cooler for the CPU. i would recommend starting out with a Cooler-master HYPER 212 and going up if you are going with air cooling,

but a water cooler like a corsair H100 or some thing like that will fit in that case as well. so try to fit one of those in there 

keep in mind a good cooler is a must if you are thinking about OverClocking.

plus also look for a lower priced GTX 770 because the one you are looking at is almost $100 more than the normal.

other than that this build is well balanced and will perform like a beast.

I'm not sure what your actual budget in the correct currency is but here are the edits I came up with: 

7ccc67eed959c6e84169d7e55e1c8ab1.png

Crossfire ready.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you want MPower/Lightning build, then consider the MSI HD7970 Lightning BE, should be a little bit cheaper, offering the same performance. Also where is the CPU cooler? You wouldn't buy MPower if you didn't want to overclock and you don't want to overclock with the box cooler...get Corsair H100i or something like that. Also I would buy a PSU that can hold 2 of those cards, like the Corsair HX/AX/RM750, but that's just me.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I don't have any plans of overclocking due to the fact that it seems like from a gamer perspective its not that beneficial, especially when you count in the hours getting it stable, luck of the draw and the risks.

So judging from you guys being lazy not reading (Not that I blame you, its a wall of text) The Mpower is overkill. Again, is it really worth overclocking when gaming?

I have no Idea why but Nvidia and Intel blood courses through me, so I'll stick with that, thanks for the input though WoodenMaker

You wanna use it to showcase a build ShadowRaven?

Been thinking about the OEM Windows, But won't that stick to the MB so when I get a new one, I have to buy a new windows?

I've also heard that the PSU that I picked is a trouble maker, is that facts or just bull?

Still open to suggestion, as I said, Anything cheaper without a huge performance loss is golden. Working on updating it, Perhaps I should go with a red scheme instead and get asus,

I once explained to my girlfriend what true love is. I said, "If you were a shit, I'd put you back in" and to this day, she is still my little shit. 

So judging from you guys being lazy not reading (Not that I blame you, its a wall of text) The Mpower is overkill. Again, is it really worth overclocking when gaming?

I have no Idea why but Nvidia and Intel blood courses through me, so I'll stick with that, thanks for the input though WoodenMaker

You wanna use it to showcase a build ShadowRaven?

Been thinking about the OEM Windows, But won't that stick to the MB so when I get a new one, I have to buy a new windows?

I've also heard that the PSU that I picked is a trouble maker, is that facts or just bull?

Still open to suggestion, as I said, Anything cheaper without a huge performance loss is golden. Working on updating it, Perhaps I should go with a red scheme instead and get asus,

to suggest a build yes here is a little information on the 4670k

to suggest a build yes here is a little information on the 4670k

So basically you and the guy from the video says, spend less on a motherboard and get an aftermarket cooler?

I find it very odd though that so many tech youtubers are lying about the heat output, I sure have never heard it, but I'll keep it in the back of my head. Thanks. Keep em coming ;)

And sure, use whatever you want to show a build aslong as I don't have to learn dutch to understand it. ;)

Going Nvidia will be a decent performance loss.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What card would you recommend then WoodenMaker?

I like getting suggestion, but why is Nvidia a performance loss? What card would be a good substitute to the 770?

What card would you recommend then WoodenMaker?

I like getting suggestion, but why is Nvidia a performance loss? What card would be a good substitute to the 770?

The 7970 and 770 are pretty much neck to neck but the 770 costs more.

The 4670k path is a bit more expensive than the 8350 route and the budget was tight as is with the list I came up with. A 770 would only add more to the cost and give a slight performance increase or decrease depending on the game.

Just switch out the cpu and mobo:

2528e4456d6cd552aa4c8ea62b160917.png

The 7970 and 770 are pretty much neck to neck but the 770 costs more.

The 4670k path is a bit more expensive than the 8350 route and the budget was tight as is with the list I came up with. A 770 would only add more to the cost and give a slight performance increase or decrease depending on the game.

Just switch out the cpu and mobo:

2528e4456d6cd552aa4c8ea62b160917.png

I already have that cpu in my list. However the MB might be a better choice and I'll check up on the 7970.

Windows shouldn't be that expense.  Get the cheaper version.

My PC: CPU: I7-2600K CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Evo, Mother Board: MSI Z77 Mpower, Ram: 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Corsair Vengeance (Black), Case: HAF 932, PSU: CM GX 650 (Upgrading to RM750 soon), SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD, HD:  750GB Seagate 7200 RPM, Optical: Samsung Blu-ray burner, GPU: MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr (Upgrading to an HD R9-290X on launch)

Windows shouldn't be that expense.  Get the cheaper version.

Thats what one would think but Windows 7 dvd is $230... Norway...

Alright, so 2 suggestions from myself, wanna hear everyone's opinion on this. 

Change out the MB with the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming for $205. (-$90)

And sorta to compliment the new color aswell as a reduces cost I bring you the MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 2GB PhysX for $542. (-$41)

This will bring the cost down to $2238. To me it doesn't sacrifice much performance if any at all. I still have a MB with good OC possibilities aswell as good audio (Anyone have this MB and can tell me a little more about it? How does the auto OC onboard button fair GH's and MH's change?)

Isn't all for changing to AMD and Radeon as of yet, Nvidia PhysX and the games made for Nvidia, which don't fair to good on Radeon. I then again could be wrong, but this is what I've heard.

Thanks for reading and helping me so far.

And sorta to compliment the new color aswell as a reduces cost I bring you the MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 2GB PhysX for $542. (-$41)

This will bring the cost down to $2238. To me it doesn't sacrifice much performance if any at all. I still have a MB with good OC possibilities aswell as good audio (Anyone have this MB and can tell me a little more about it? How does the auto OC onboard button fair GH's and MH's change?)

Isn't all for changing to AMD and Radeon as of yet, Nvidia PhysX and the games made for Nvidia, which don't fair to good on Radeon. I then again could be wrong, but this is what I've heard.

Sounds good, you should also get a CPU cooler, at least the Cooler Master Hyper 212+EVO.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

What's up with your pricing? It's completely off from Komplett's.

What's up with your pricing? It's completely off from Komplett's.

Its the MSI Z87 G45, not G65. the G45 is 1.249,- KR put that number into a currency calculator and you get $205,19

GTX 770 Gaming 2GB etc. is 3299,- KR wich is $541,98 So how exactly its wrong is beyond me.

Guys, guess what, Its friday, that means that the site I'm ordering from is going to have they're weekly super weekdend with cheap stuff. Hopefully I'll so some stuff that I don't need and not just laptops and icecream makers. Will uppdate you if I see something that might be worthwhile. Keep on coming with suggestions, have been to great help so far!

2nd Edit: So the super weekend got nothing, a few 22 - 23" screen with either bad resolution or to expensive. I will ask Komplett if they can put some pc components up there which they usually do if there is a large enough request.

NB: The reason I make a new post instead of editing it in is that it functions as a bumb.

Thinking about replacing the PSU, I am going to something a little more powerfull aswell as having it modular. How do you guys think the Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 720W PSU will fair in my build? Does it handle the lower c states that haswell can go into? And how good is a cooler master psu in general? Taking suggestions on other psu in that price range. :)

• 2 weeks later...

So then, its bought. 
The results lis as follows.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Sort
Intel Core i5-4670K Processor
Lite-On DVD±RW Writer, iHAS324
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB BK OEM
Seagate Barracuda® 2TB
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
BenQ 24" LED RL2455HM
Corsair H100i Hydro Series CPU Kjøler
Kingston DDR3 HyperX NAVI 16GB
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming, Socket-1150
Corsair CX 750M, 750W PSU
MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming 2GB PhysX

Final price ended up on $2448 wich is quite alot compared to other budgets around here, but once again Norway sucks... Atleast in that regard.
Now to some reasoning behind this all.

And we might aswell start with the screen. Is was just as cheap as the one I originally looked at due to a special day offer on the website I'm ordering from. So I was like done deal. 
The h100i might be a little overkill because I don't have any immediate plans on oc'ing the cpu. But it was 99 cents! No it wasn't but almost half the price of the usual cost, or about the same as the h60 or whatever its called. so done deal.
The ram was also on that special day offer for the same price as the 8 gb version of it, so why the f*** not.
The Mobo was also on the special day offer shaving of about 10% or the original price, so yayy. Its also a good mb, atleast, thats what I heard and the features on it does say the same. its also capable of ocing If I ever decide to do that.
The PSU was not of offer, but it's modular and its corsair, so can't go too wrong.
The SSD, I didn't really like the idea going for a 120 one, and the samsung evo was cheap compared to others out there, its also 540/520 so its fast aswell.
The HDD, Well, Do i need to explain myself, its faster then WD Green, cheaper then WD Black and Blue. And offer quite alot of bang for the buck imo
The GPU. Goes perfectly with the motherboard, its also a very good gpu and I've only heard good things about it.
And some of you might look at it like, "Idiot, just pirate windows." The reason I don't, Windows will eventually find out its pirated and I will have to get another or the real deal. Might aswell be legal and save myself the trouble. I allready pirate way to much, Its bad, you are in reality stealing, you might aswell walk into Walmart and steal that movie. (What does walmart sell anyways? :P )

So any last inputs guys, its already paid for so there is really no way coming back other then canceling it before they ship, which would be a waste due to many of the parts being on sale, or send one or two of the part back when i get them (if it doesn't sound familiar its a 14 day full money return when buying of the internet and you regret it, its the law here in Norway and probably elsewhere aswell, so Norway isn't just bad I guess) but then I would have to wait longer to use it most likely and I've been thinking about this for about 8 to 10 months. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF WAITING AND HEAD SCRATCHING.

Also, thanks to everyone who helped me editing it about and configuring it to my use. <3