[Update] Netflix is officially going to crack down on users using proxy method(s) to access Netflix U.S - Already going after people!

GoodBytes

Many Netflix users in Canada and other countries uses VPN to proxy themselves on U.S servers to access content on Netflix U.S. Netflix has different content in different regions. In the case of Canada, many Canadian prefer the selection and additional content that Netflix U.S has over what Netflix Canada has.

After warnings of not doing this in the past, Netflix announced that it will officially crack down on people accessing content from Netflix of a different region that they are in, using a proxy method.

David Fullagar, Netflix’s vice president of content delivery, says in a Netflix blog post:

For now, given the historic practice of licensing content by geographic territories, the TV shows and movies we offer differ, to varying degrees, by territory. In the meantime, we will continue to respect and enforce content licensing by geographic location,

Some members use proxies or “unblockers” to access titles available outside their territory. To address this, we employ the same or similar measures other firms do. This technology continues to evolve and we are evolving with it. That means in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are. We are confident this change won’t impact members not using proxies.

It’s unclear, however, exactly how Netflix plans to stop this, but it is possible that they ban users detected to do so.

Netflix is taking such action probably due to high pressure by the movie industry in order to renew contract or build confidence to be able to get the needed licenses/agreement for providing Netflix in 130 countries.

Source: http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/01/14/its-official-netflix-says-it-plans-to-crack-down-on-copyright-infringing-proxy-users/

Are you affected by this? Do you enjoy Netflix U.S content better?

UPDATE!

Special thanks to @zMeul for the tip:

Netflix is going after Australian's who are using any sort of tools to get Netflix from the U.S instead of their region.

What happens, is when an Australian tries to access Netflix U.S, a message is displayed on the page:

You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.

It doesn't affect all Australian's yet, so some with different tools can.

It is believed that Netflix is doing IP bans on providers to block users from access the service.

Source 1: http://uflix.com.au/netflix-apply-blocks/

Source 2: http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/22/10813824/netflix-vpns-crackdown-australia-uflix

The real question is: why the HELL isn't the content the same all over the world? You don't see steam locking out games in a country unless the government there tells them to.

Yes they do... well at least different pricing.

Anyway in other news 

424px-The_Pirate_Bay_logo.svg.png

traffic has doubled

Edited by thekeemo
Reduced image size

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

There's only gonna be alternative methods from this, but I wish them luck ;D

(and wish them not to do this in uk pls)

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

I doubt theres anything they can really do about it and if they just gave us the f****** content in the first place we wouldn't have to VPN to the US.

Not in Canada, but if I'm going to be paying the equivalent of what someone in the US is paying for their service, imma access the content they're able to. 

Fuck the system. 

So if you are an US Netflix subscriber on vacation outside of the country, you're srewed ? I wonder how they'll enforce their new policies. Maybe they'll block IPs known to be VPN or whatever. 

Could they get any with checking the credit card ? I mean if I'm using a canadian credit card, maybe that's because I'm canadian... just sayin'. 

Anyway in other news 

-snip-

traffic has doubled

Why do you advertise it here its against the LTT rules. Also only amateurs use that site.

The real question is: why the HELL isn't the content the same all over the world? You don't see steam locking out games in a country unless the government there tells them to.

You do know the age rating systems can be completely different in some countries? It is one of the reasons why censoring occurs in games when selling in another country, as well as outright bans of selling a certain game.

Well they announced (yesterday I think) that they'll break the VPN access to Netflix on a global scale. Gonna be funny seing them trying to do that after spreading to 190 countries. And here I thought of getting it. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

You do know the age rating systems can be completely different in some countries? It is one of the reasons why censoring occurs in games when selling in another country, as well as outright bans of selling a certain game.

if the movie is available for purchase separately there's no reason it shouldn't be digitally - just use the same rating/cut

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You think canada content sucks you should see Swedens, Its horseshit. I use blockless mostly, its a dns service. You can make up a random email address and get a free week at a time.

Sorta sad to see they are forced into this. It is only going to destroy their profits until they can actually provide that content to other countries (which is likely not happening anytime soon).

Their profits and that of the studios forcing the geoblocks.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Did they show Game Of Thrones in Canada?

Yes?

well, then...

I'm surprised it took them so long. And i am surprised people still are shocked that Netflix cant service all licenses across all networks in the world.

Don't complain to them, bitch at the shitty media companies that hold basically global monopolies and stop it from happening.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Why do you advertise it here its against the LTT rules. Also only amateurs use that site.

Its not advertising since

1. I dont benefit

2. Most people know what it is

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Anyway in other news 

snip

traffic has doubled

Cause and affect, people will get content they feel entitled to, netflix has the content but refuses (due to legal reasons involving licensing) to allow all their users to view it, those users will simply acquire the content elsewhere legal or otherwise.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You think canada content sucks you should see Swedens, Its horseshit. I use blockless mostly, its a dns service. You can make up a random email address and get a free week at a time.

It took a few years for content in Canada to be.. say.. interesting to some level.

For a long while Netflix Canada only had a few aged old crappy (like really bad) movies, and kids shows.

Now it actually has a nice movie selection. But nothing near U.S.

This is bullshit, netflix also just unlocked their services in the middle east.. like last week, while other countries had netflix for ages, I use to use a VPN personally to use it.

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

fuck capitalism

okay Comrade

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Sorta sad to see they are forced into this. It is only going to destroy their profits until they can actually provide that content to other countries (which is likely not happening anytime soon).

Different companies have different rights to distribute different movies in different countries. It's all about the licensing.

In Romania , for example , another online streaming service has the rights to distribute House of Cards , so there isn't any House of Cards on Netflix here.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.