Over ear headphones causing discomfort/pain

Chag4

Hi,

I've searched and seen two other threads on this. But mostly they just blamed it on too loud music or similar. Just wanted to ask again in case some people knew more or had any advice two years later or whatever.

I get head pain/headache/pressure/something and nausea when I wear over ear headphones. Within minutes, not hours. And it stays a while after I take them off. It feels a little similar afterwards to when I get motionsickness from games. My head being heavy and achy and feeling slightly nauseous.

It's not something I can easily ignore either.

I get it a little from on ear headphones too, but I can last a lot longer with them. And I think I've gotten it from wearing headbands (the hard plastic og metal ones) too.

I think it's pressure buildup or them hitting a pressurepoint or somthing.

And before anybody asks, no I'm not listening to too loud music. I'm fine with earplugs forever. I can have those in for countless hours with no problem, and I don't have my volume too loud (most of the time).

And we are talking minutes, not hours anyways.

End result anyways is that I have never worn a pair of over the ear headphoes that I don't feel like ripping off and throwing across the room after 5 minutes. And that sucks.

Anybody have any similar experiences, suggestions or something? Do you think open backed might make a difference?

Edit: I am still feeling like my head is swimming, and I took my headphones off like 15 minutes ago.

These ones are Audio-technica Ath-M20x. I have a pair of Eskuche Control ones that I can wear a few hours. I normally use a pair of ridiculously cheap in ear earbuds from Philips. I'm an audio peasant.

I live to read.

Hi,

I've searched and seen two other threads on this. But mostly they just blamed it on too loud music or similar. Just wanted to ask again in case some people knew more or had any advice two years later or whatever.

I get head pain/headache/pressure/something and nausea when I wear over ear headphones. Within minutes, not hours. And it stays a while after I take them off. It feels a little similar afterwards to when I get motionsickness from games. My head being heavy and achy and feeling slightly nauseous.

It's not something I can easily ignore either.

I get it a little from on ear headphones too, but I can last a lot longer with them. And I think I've gotten it from wearing headbands (the hard plastic og metal ones) too.

I think it's pressure buildup or them hitting a pressurepoint or somthing.

And before anybody asks, no I'm not listening to too loud music. I'm fine with earplugs forever. I can have those in for countless hours with no problem, and I don't have my volume too loud (most of the time).

And we are talking minutes, not hours anyways.

End result anyways is that I have never worn a pair of over the ear headphoes that I don't feel like ripping off and throwing across the room after 5 minutes. And that sucks.

Anybody have any similar experiences, suggestions or something? Do you think open backed might make a difference?

Since I am not a doctor I can't really tell you anything super accurate, it might be pressure points, it might not, I have no idea. If you want to try open backs, their are some pretty cheap ones on amazon my either Sennheiser or Audio Techinca 

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

If it is the pressure from the clamping effect then open back won't help you at all, but the clamp pressure from the ATH M50x isn't really anything that should make you feel pain or discomfort from. I would actually recommend that you see a doctor.

If it is the pressure from the clamping effect then open back won't help you at all, but the clamp pressure from the ATH M50x isn't really anything that should make you feel pain or discomfort from. I would actually recommend that you see a doctor.

^This. People generally get sore ears or heads from wearing headphones, for, like, five hours at a time, but I've not heard of anything like 15 minutes being normal.

OP, I have ATH-M30Xs and this is what I did to make them more comfortable - eventually the synthetic leather on the earcups started disintegrating, so I just peeled it off. Turns out there's a soft nylon mesh underneath it, and wearing that makes it soooooooo much nicer. Also gives it a wider sound stage.

But really, I don't know what the problem could be. Maybe it messes with your inner ear or something? I dunno. The clamping pressure isn't that bad...

Imagine if you told us exactly which headphones you've used.

I added some at the end of my post after I posted.

Other than that I honestly can't remember, I just know that over the years I've tried different ones from my friends and such.

After trying some I usually decide to just give the whole thing up and that they're just not for me. Then a few years later I've forgotten how it felt, I think maybe another pair will feel different. I get hopeful and I buy or try a new pair with the same result.

I live to read.

I added some at the end of my post after I posted.

Other than that I honestly can't remember, I just know that over the years I've tried different ones from my friends and such.

After trying some I usually decide to just give the whole thing up and that they're just not for me. Then a few years later I've forgotten how it felt, I think maybe another pair will feel different. I get hopeful and I buy or try a new pair with the same result.

Definately go see a doctor, bring your headphones with you.

Have you ever tried something like the Fidelio X2 from Phillips? They have a like a strange `double` headband that may even out it`s pressure, or something. Have you also ever tried one of those neck-headphones? If not, try those, that way you can narrow down your pains

to game or not to game, that`s the question

Have you ever tried something like the Fidelio X2 from Phillips? They have a like a strange `double` headband that may even out it`s pressure, or something. Have you also ever tried one of those neck-headphones? If not, try those, that way you can narrow down your pains

My Eskuche Control have a sortof double headband, and they are definately comfortable and I can wear them for a few hours, but I thought that was more because they are on the ear.

It might be the headband, but I just always feel that preassure around my ears especially, when I wear over the ear headphones. And it usually get's better when I just take them off the ears even if I just move them behind and leave the headband on.

I definitely feel like it's about the earpieces rather than the headband, though it might be both. And I might be completely wrong.

I live to read.

My Eskuche Control have a sortof double headband, and they are definately comfortable and I can wear them for a few hours, but I thought that was more because they are on the ear.

It might be the headband, but I just always feel that preassure around my ears especially, when I wear over the ear headphones. And it usually get's better when I just take them off the ears even if I just move them behind and leave the headband on.

I definitely feel like it's about the earpieces rather than the headband, though it might be both. And I might be completely wrong.

than I think you may need to see a doctor, because that`s pretty strange... but can`t you use speakers?

than I think you may need to see a doctor, because that`s pretty strange... but can`t you use speakers?

Yeah sure, and I mostly do too. And in-ear earbuds when I'm on the go. I'm just sad about it and wanted to see if anyone had any answers/ideas.

I live to read.

Yeah sure, and I mostly do too. And in-ear earbuds when I'm on the go. I'm just sad about it and wanted to see if anyone had any answers/ideas.

aaah mkay, sorry mate, I aint no doctor

i use ATH-M50 and it have strong clamping force and i used to feel some discomfort after some time like 2-4hs but then i bent the headphones a bit to loosen them and that helped alot and they are fine now, only problem left is the ear puds get hot after a while and going to change them soon.